Mandolin and piano mp3's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mandolin and piano mp3's

These pieces are now available on the rare Beethoven page - enjoy!
    www.kingsbarn.freeserve.co.uk/selected.html

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Very enjoyable! This is a side to Beethoven about which many people do not know.

Comment

These pieces were very early pieces. Learned a lot from the background information that I did not realize. Very informative.

Joy
      'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
        These pieces are now available on the rare Beethoven page - enjoy!
        www.kingsbarn.freeserve.co.uk/selected.html
        Also on this disk for fp and mandoline is a grand sonata by Hummel, apparently the premiere work for this combination. A competent piece but none of its movements has any of the charm of B's four works in the genre, of which a set of variations is the most substantial (circa 9.5 mins). I don't think an instrument of the mandoline's nature can credibly be accomodated in a serious large scale sonata, at least alongside the piano.

------------------
        "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
        http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
          I don't think an instrument of the mandoline's nature can credibly be accomodated in a serious large scale sonata, at least alongside the piano.

One large scale sonata that was written for an unusual instrument was Schubert's sonata for Arpeggione and piano - I have only heard it though played on the 'cello (Rostropovich and Britten - wonderful recording). The Arpeggione (invented by Staufer in Vienna, 1823) was a six stringed instrument tuned as for guitar but played with a bow.

------------------
          'Man know thyself'

[This message has been edited by Peter (edited 08-15-2001).]
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
          X