Compostion Quiz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compostion Quiz

I want to continue with our quiz by opening a new thread.
    But I would like to ask you not just to guess composer and work, but share a bit what you think of the pieces which would bring more life into the quiz...

So we have three new pieces. The composer should not be too hard to guess, but what works are these wonderful pearls of music?

www.gerdprengel.de/piece32.mp3
    www.gerdprengel.de/piece33.mp3 (enjoy especially the development section!)
    www.gerdprengel.de/piece34.mp3

Gerd

Not too difficult, but in 34 Gerd is trying to wrong foot the hasty listener

Comment

I post here not really a composition quiz, more of a "guess the composer by word-play" quiz. Its inspiration comes from our Headmaster, along these lines :
      Name me a composer (you open a door with it) : Knob / Kévin de Slèdgeammer / Handel.
      Your turn:

1) Name me a composer that tastes of a certain Black Forest schnapps.
      2) Name me a very famous music analyst of Beethoven's works whose name has a slightly "caramelized" flavour.
      3) Name me a composer who - paradoxically - wants to release you from the prison of your ears.
      4) Name me a famous electroacoustic composer whose name reminds you of a famous Italian cheese. (This one probably only for Roehre.)
      5) Name me a composer who won't come out of the shadows.
      6) Name me a composer who spends his time in "temples of consumerism".
      7) Name me a composer who was probably born on a verdant hill.
      Last edited by Quijote; 06-03-2010, 01:31 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

My bad for persisting in the other thread. #7: Monteverde.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
          My bad for persisting in the other thread. #7: Monteverde.
          That's right, Soarrano. Monteverdi. And now for the rest, if you please!

Comment

Originally posted by gprengel View Post
            I want to continue with our quiz by opening a new thread.
            But I would like to ask you not just to guess composer and work, but share a bit what you think of the pieces which would bring more life into the quiz...

So we have three new pieces. The composer should not be too hard to guess, but what works are these wonderful pearls of music?

www.gerdprengel.de/piece32.mp3
            www.gerdprengel.de/piece33.mp3 (enjoy especially the development section!)
            www.gerdprengel.de/piece34.mp3

Gerd
            Well I'm going to have to be very hasty I'm afraid. Haydn, Dvorak, Mahler, but Roehre has worried me about the last!
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
              That's right, Soarrano. Monteverdi. And now for the rest, if you please!
              I almost wrote Montiverde--that's what you get when you mix Spanish and Italian.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
                I almost wrote Montiverde--that's what you get when you mix Spanish and Italian.
                Quite. Here is what Federico Garcia Lorca had to say :
                Verde que te quiero verde. The quote come from one of his Cante Jondo poems, but the title escapes me for the moment.
                I once composed a chamber piece (flute, clarinet, bass clarinet, 'cello, piano and percussion) based on one of his poems. I called it "Still Waters", but the original Spanish title was "Cristalino".
                My chosen performers called it "Muddy Waters". The bastards.
                Last edited by Quijote; 06-03-2010, 02:55 PM. Reason: Addition of speech marks

Comment

I found the source of the quote above. It's from a poem called Romance Sonambulo, published in Madrid in 1928.
                  Last edited by Quijote; 06-03-2010, 02:52 PM. Reason: the letter "a" in Sonambulo should carry an a-accute accent.

Comment

I post here not really a composition quiz, more of a "guess the composer by word-play" quiz. Its inspiration comes from our Headmaster, along these lines :
                    Name me a composer (you open a door with it) : Knob / Kévin de Slèdgeammer / Handel.
                    Your turn:

2) Name me a very famous music analyst of Beethoven's works whose name has a slightly "caramelized" flavour.
                    3) Name me a composer who - paradoxically - wants to release you from the prison of your ears.
                    4) Name me a famous electroacoustic composer whose name reminds you of a famous Italian cheese. (This one probably only for Roehre.)
                    I think I might surprise you with no.4 - is it Bernard Parmegiani?
                    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                      I think I might surprise you with no.4 - is it Bernard Parmegiani?
                      Indeed it is. A bottle of good Chianti for you then, instead of Roehre !! Please send me your address via Private Message and I'll have a bottle sent to you.
                      I know the Nicolas wine company have this service. If you don't like Chianti, I'll send you (via Amazon) a CD of works by Parmegiani (if available; if not, another CD of my choice).
                      Last edited by Quijote; 06-03-2010, 05:02 PM. Reason: Next time I won't promise such goodies

Comment

32 is the slow movement of Dvorak's String Quintet in Eb opus 97. I went to a performace of it long long time ago.
                        Last edited by Hofrat; 06-03-2010, 05:45 PM.
                        "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                          Well I'm going to have to be very hasty I'm afraid. Haydn, Dvorak, Mahler, but Roehre has worried me about the last!
                          Yes, pretty good! Roehre again was the first one who recognised the pieces with a private message:

"32 is Dvorak, String quintet E-flat op.97, 3rd mvt
                          34 is Mahler's tenth, final mvt (I think the Cooke/Matthews completion?)
                          33 is I think Joseph Haydn, but which one of the 104?
                          "

Isn't the final Adagio of Mahler's 10th much more beautiful than the completed Adagio of the 1st movement? What do you think?

33 is the very much unknown 67th symphony of Haydn - one of my favourite Haydn symphonies!

32, the string quintet, is one of Dvorak's great masterworks he wrote in America - maybe my favourite chamber music piece from him!!

Comment

Booh-hooh, nobody wants to play my quizz. (Sobs in to Kleenex [whilst peeling onion]). Here are the remaining answers :
                            1) Vaughan Williams (Poire Williams, very nice schnapps);
                            2) Donald Francis Tovey (you have to pronounce it in a "Germanic" way);
                            3) John Cage;
                            5) Haydn (well, "hiding");
                            6) Chopin (always "shopping'").

Comment

I am quite chagrined at missing the Haydn! I always make jokes on that name, as it is.

Comment

Working...
                              X