Beethoven Remembered

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beethoven Remembered

I am just in the middle of reading 'Beethoven Remembered, The Biographical Notes of Franz Wegeler and Ferdinand Ries.' Interesting letters sent between them and also some biographical information as well. Anyone care to comment on how reliable this reading is??

Joy
    'Truth and beauty joined'

I don't think reading something unreliable necessarily matters, providing you know the true facts. I know Ries's accounts of some events have been questioned. I haven't read it so if you come across some gems of information Joy, please share it.

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
      I am just in the middle of reading 'Beethoven Remembered, The Biographical Notes of Franz Wegeler and Ferdinand Ries.' Interesting letters sent between them and also some biographical information as well. Anyone care to comment on how reliable this reading is??

Joy
      I've read this book. Its reliable enough, but read the notes. However, personal reminicences are not a perfect science - if I say someone is a nasty piece of work, this is my opinion based on my perspective of the situation. It is not for some researcher in the future to contradict, for they will never have the same perspective, but for that researcher to try to understand and explain .

------------------
      "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
      http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
        I don't think reading something unreliable necessarily matters, providing you know the true facts. I know Ries's accounts of some events have been questioned. I haven't read it so if you come across some gems of information Joy, please share it.
        I'm sure all of these have been talked about before but there's the story about Ries entering the room just as B was about to shave and was covered with soap up to the eyes. B jumped up and embraced Ries only to have transferred every last bit of lather from his left cheek onto Ries right!
        In Baden, 1804: B said, "I would never in my life have believed that I could be so lazy as I am here. If I should suddenly be seized with energy, something worthwhile might possibly result."
        B had said once 'of a certain young lady' (no name was given) that she had captivated him more intensely & longer than any other-seven whole months!
        One more: Ries had played piano for B and another young lady & B called out "Ries, play something romantic" and then "play something melancholy," then "play something passionate!"

Joy

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
          I've read this book. Its reliable enough, but read the notes. However, personal reminicences are not a perfect science - if I say someone is a nasty piece of work, this is my opinion based on my perspective of the situation. It is not for some researcher in the future to contradict, for they will never have the same perspective, but for that researcher to try to understand and explain .
          Makes sense.

Comment

Working...
          X