Reception history

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Philip wrote:
    >"Imagine: 200 years hence, some poor PhD student will be researching material for his/her thesis on "reception history" and will inevitably find our forum preserved in whatever format, and all of our postings will be examined in some future light. What a responsibility for us!! Dear future researcher: I stand by all my postings (my name is "Philip")."

No future researcher will read our ramblings when our forum or the website hosting our forum "disappears" as many forums did in the past.
    "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

Originally posted by Hofrat View Post
      No future researcher will read our ramblings when our forum or the website hosting our forum "disappears" as many forums did in the past.
      You'd be surprised. Practically everything on the web is archived. So don't write something that you might regret, because even if you delete it, it will probably exist forever.

Comment

But, will reading forums be analogous to reading CD liner notes?

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
          But, will reading forums be analogous to reading CD liner notes?
          Good point. CD liner notes will also be part of later studies of "reception history", I imagine, too. Forum postings will be slightly different, in that they are "non-professional". This is not to say that we on this forum cannot post to "professional" standards. I stand by my postings.

Comment

I think we are sometimes too quick to dismiss the CD liner notes. There is often a lot of good information, as well as discussions with performers and composers. Of course, others border on the conception of just plain silly.

Comment

Working...
            X