Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Isn't there also some sort of "Teutonic" drinking song in Bizet's Carmen? I can't remember.

Comment

I don't know that one - probably because of my general antipathy towards "Carmen" (aka "Carm - and get it!")

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
        Isn't there also some sort of "Teutonic" drinking song in Bizet's Carmen? I can't remember.
        Try Tales of Hofman.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
          I'm not sure if it employs a harpsichord though he was of course very fond of the instrument hence his excellent concerto, written for (or at least played by) the supreme Wanda Landowska.

I'm sorry his music evokes such terrors for you (and I am fully aware of the horrors of the Civil war and the murder of Lorca) but as you mention it was far from the composers mind and of course El Sombrero de Tres Picos predated these events. Personally I think it sad that you should allow those events to cloud your response to the music and I daresay Falla would agree with me.
          Well, it is the image only of the three-cornered hat (as worn - even today - by the Spanish Guardia Civil) that gives me the shivers, not the music itself, and especially not music that was written 20 years before those pro-Franco hijos de putas started strutting around shooting anyone who disagreed with them.
          Last edited by Quijote; 06-07-2010, 07:14 PM. Reason: Quick language lesson : "hijo" = son; "puta" = whore, or more colloquially, "bitch"

Comment

Please forgive a short lingusitic deviation, but there is something that always makes me smile when I'm in a German restaurant : the word "pute", which in French is similar to the Spanish "puta", meaning "whore" or "bitch". In German however, "pute" means "turkey" (the meat, not the country, hence the lower-case "t"), so when I read on the menu "Putenbrust mit pommes" (strictly, "turkey breast [or escallop] with chips") I can't help sniggering. Yes, I am infantile.
            Last edited by Quijote; 06-07-2010, 07:24 PM. Reason: Whores or escallops, that is the question ...

Comment

Today:

Chopin
              Polonaise in A major (Op.40 No.1) arr. for orchestra (R3: TtN)

Tcherepnin:
              Symphony no.2 (1947/’51)

Payne:
              The Period of Cosmographie (2009) (R3)
              (are we absolutely sure that Sibelius didn’t leave us with some sketches for the 8th symphony? )

===

Music from the Dutch Republic from the first half of the 17th Century:

Valerius: Nederlandsche Gedenck-Klanck/ Engels malsims (1626)

Vallet: Le Secret des Muses / Fantaisie La mendiante (1615)

Sweelinck: Psalm 42 and Mein junges leben hat ein End

Van Eyck: Doen d’overschoone Maeght

Huygens: Pathodia sacra et profana: 4 Psalms and 5 Italian and French Chansons (1647)

Van Noordt: Tabulatuurboeck/ Psalm 116 (1659)

Verrijt: Flammae Divinae opus 5 (1649)

Comment

Sainte Colombe : Concerts à Deux Violes Esgales; Concert XLIVe : Les Regrets (Tombeau Les Regrets - Quarillon - Les Pleurs - Joye des Elizées - Les Elizées). Wieland Kuijken (Cloggie) and Jordi Savall (Catalan) on authentic 17th/18th-century 7-string bass viols. What a mixture of talent, and what a timbre!
                Last edited by Quijote; 06-07-2010, 09:07 PM. Reason: Tous les Matins du Monde ...

Comment

Yes, that's pretty good music Philip and the movie was also "interesting". A bit slow, but different. I liked the music.

Comment

Glorious sunny day, 19 degrees: it's great to be alive to the sounds of

JS Bach: English Suite No. 3 BWV808
                    Concerto for "Piano and Orchestra" BWV1052
                    Concerto for "Two Pianos and Orchestra" BWV1061

Sviatoslav Richter/USSR Symphony Orch/Sanderling

Comment

Brahms 3 violin sonatas - wonderful!
                      'Man know thyself'

Comment

These are works I know next to nothing about. Would you care to tell me about them? I have the Piano Trios by Brahms and a couple of them don't really work for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonn1827 View Post
                          These are works I know next to nothing about. Would you care to tell me about them? I have the Piano Trios by Brahms and a couple of them don't really work for me.
                          The first two G major and A major are very lyrical works - give them a go as I'm sure you'll like them! The D minor sonata is darker in mood but still a fine piece. Do you know the two sextets and the quintets? - again some superb music.
                          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Today:

Moyzes:
                            Symphony No.6 opus 44 (1951) (R3: TtN)

Some woks for oboe solo:
                            Telemann: Fantasias no.10 in F sharp minor, 11 in G and 6 in d-minor
                            Berio: Sequenza VII
                            M.Berkeley: snake (1990)

Tcherepnin:
                            Piano concerto no.4 op.78 (1947)
                            Symphonic march opus 80 (1948)

Comment

No, I don't Peter but I do adore Brahms in general. On my Facebook page somebody recently wrote something about a Boston music critic suggesting "Exit in case of Brahms" by written over one of the doors. I was offended by this.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonn1827 View Post
                                No, I don't Peter but I do adore Brahms in general. On my Facebook page somebody recently wrote something about a Boston music critic suggesting "Exit in case of Brahms" by written over one of the doors. I was offended by this.
                                Well I think you are missing a real musical treat if you aren't too familiar with his chamber music - I can understand how some of the piano trios are not immediately approachable (although I adore no.1).
                                Try the first sextet in Bb and the first two violin sonatas for starters, I'm sure you'll be hooked! The clarinet sonatas are also glorious music along with the clarinet quintet and the earlier piano quintet - the slow movement is exquisite.
                                'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
                                X