This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bonn1827 View Post
    Wonderful, Megan. Marini wrote some lovely keyboard music too. We don't hear enough of this type of music do we?

I agree bonn, we don't hear enough of this kind of music, isn't it simply sumptuous.

Sometimes I listen to pure baroque online.
    http://sradio.tv/live/1566
    Last edited by Megan; 05-29-2010, 01:11 PM.
    ‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

Comment

Today:

Tal:
      Symphony no.4 “Jubilee” (1984)

Ullmann:
      Piano sonata no.7 “Theresienstadt Sketchbook” (1944, the very last piece Ullmann completed in the concentration camp Terezin/Theresienstadt before he was transported to Auschwitz and murdered within hours after arrival)
      Symphony no.2 “Theresienstadt Sketchbook” (1944/ orchestration Wulff of the piano sonata no.7 )

Liszt:
      Magyar Dalok S.252/1-11 (1839/40, Hungarian songs as well as a kind of early Hungarian Rhapsodies)

Strauss:
      Don Quixote op.35

Comment

Jonathan HARVEY : Mortuos Plango, Vivos Voco (1980), his first IRCAM commission, incorporating the composer's son's voice singing the text on the great tenor bell of Winchester Cathedral, plus computer-generated transformations of the bell and voice. I think this work may well be the best introduction to those on this forum who have problems accepting notions of "beauty" in electroacoustic music. It is really quite accessible, I assure you.

Comment

Today:

JSBach:
          Cantate no.165 “O heilges Geist- und Wasserbad “ (for Trinity, today)

Tal:
          Symphony no.3 (1978)

Liszt:
          Magyar Rapszodiak S.252/12-19 (1839/40, early Hungarian Rhapsodies)

Comment

Arnold Schoenberg : Pierrot lunaire, op. 21. This is a work I have not listened to in quite a while, and I am glad to have come back to it. I used to have a performance directed by Boulez, but my dear ex-wife (long may she prosper [not]) never returned it to me. So, today I bought this in my local Harmonia Mundi shop for only 9.90€. It's a performance with the Ensemble Musique Oblique, directed by Philippe Herreweghe, no less, recorded in July 1991.

This is a knock-out work, which I was tempted to revisit thanks to an excellent and incisive essay by Richard Taruskin as follows : The Poietic Fallacy, in The Danger of Music and Other Anti-Utopian Essays, University of California Press, 2009.
            Last edited by Quijote; 05-31-2010, 09:13 PM. Reason: A snowy fleck of shining moonlight on the back side of my smart new coat

Comment

I forgot to mention a nice little bonus with the CD just mentioned above : Schoenberg's 1st Chamber Symphony (op. 9) in the 1922-23 transcription by Webern. I'm saving that little treat for tomorrow.

Comment

This reminds me : certain forum members have been lamenting the "death of classical music" in the UK. I think I said at the time that I doubted such pessimistic forecasts, and I maintain that, at least here in France. I live in Strasbourg, a small city of about 400,000 people. We have : a dedicated Harmonia Mundi shop (jam-packed with treasures, some a bit expensive, but plenty of bargains), a large electronics department store called FNAC with a huge classical music CD selection (though a smallish "contemporary" offer), a Virgin store with a pretty decent selection of classical CDs, a super (and quite large) music shop next to the Conservatory (called Arpège), jam-packed with CDs and scores, and several other smaller independent CD outlets. Nah, classical music is alive and kicking here, no worries.

Comment

Plus international classical and contemporary music festivals, and an equally famous "Jazz d'Or" festival. We are spoilt, are we not?

Comment

Plus I, Philip, live here. What more can they want?

Comment

Today:

Vladigerov:
                      Vardar opus 16 (1925) (R3: Ttn)

Tal:
                      Symphony no.2 (1960)

Barber:
                      Knoxville - Summer of 1915 op.24 (1947)

Ullmann:
                      Der zerbrochene Krug: overture (1942)
                      Don Quixte tanzt Fadango (1943)

Liszt:
                      Magyar Rapszodiak S.252/12-19 (1839/40, early Hungarian Rhapsodies)

Luke Bedford:
                      At Three and Two (R3)
                      (An IMO a rather bland piece, one of the least interesting of the Mahler-accompanying works)

Comment

Currently I am listening/watching from a list of top 10 compositions of the 20th Century. Some of these are selections; others are complete. Cage's 4'33" is on the list, too.

http://listverse.com/2010/05/31/top-...-20th-century/

Comment

Today:

Tal:
                          Symphony no.1 (1958)

Liszt:
                          Rumanian Rhapsody S.252/20
                          Hungarian rhapsody S.252/21
                          Carnival in pest S.252/22
                          (all early versions)

Comment

Tonight:

Henry Purcell: Dioclesian, and
                            The Tempest
                            English Baroque Soloists/MC/JEG

Comment

Luciano BERIO :
                              Sequenza I for solo flute,
                              Sequenza III for solo voice,
                              Sequenza V for solo trombone.

It was Roehre's Oboe sequenza posting above that inspired my choice today. That said, I've never really "accepted" the trombone sequenza. I guess I just don't like the timbre of the trombone as a solo instrument.
                              Last edited by Quijote; 06-02-2010, 02:05 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
                                This reminds me : certain forum members have been lamenting the "death of classical music" in the UK. I think I said at the time that I doubted such pessimistic forecasts, and I maintain that, at least here in France. I live in Strasbourg, a small city of about 400,000 people. We have : a dedicated Harmonia Mundi shop (jam-packed with treasures, some a bit expensive, but plenty of bargains), a large electronics department store called FNAC with a huge classical music CD selection (though a smallish "contemporary" offer), a Virgin store with a pretty decent selection of classical CDs, a super (and quite large) music shop next to the Conservatory (called Arpège), jam-packed with CDs and scores, and several other smaller independent CD outlets. Nah, classical music is alive and kicking here, no worries.
                                Well am I wrong to think it odd that a grade 5 piano student (of mine I regret to say) aged 14 should never have heard of her national composer, Elgar? I find whenever it comes to grade 5 aural training the knowledge displayed is lamentable and there is no interest in listening to classical music. When prompted to suggest a Baroque composer, Batch was suggested - a further prompt when I mentioned you open a door with it produced the famous Knob!
                                The poor child is also privately educated so hopefully the parents are satisfied with the results and her desire to do GCSE music.
                                'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
                                X