This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Philip View Post
    Not a quiz? Very well. It is particularly irritating that the writer of your CD liner notes offers an interesting observation (only two 18th-century symphonies written in C-sharp minor ...) but omits to name the second !! Is it because (s)he doesn't know, either? You should contact the CD company, find out who wrote the accompanying CD "blah blah" and put the question. Actually, it is rather an unusual key for the period, isn't it?
    I wonder if the CD label came off the Wikipedia entry I quoted above. What's funny to me is that under the entry of Symphonies in C Sharp Minor that there is only the one (Kraus) listed for the 18th Century with a similar note that there is one other.

Comment

Not a quiz? Very well. It is particularly irritating that the writer of your CD liner notes offers an interesting observation (only two 18th-century symphonies written in C-sharp minor ...) but omits to name the second !! Is it because (s)he doesn't know, either? You should contact the CD company, find out who wrote the accompanying CD "blah blah" and put the question. Actually, it is rather an unusual key for the period, isn't it?
      The writer of the CD line notes is an expert in 18th and 19th century music and he knows who the composer of the 2nd C# minor symphony is. I was hoping that someone from this forum would know.
      "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

Good point Sorrano. I mean, you would think that any intelligent CD liner writer-critic-reviewer etc etc would name the other 18th-century symphony in C-sharp minor. Wouldn't you?
        It's a bit like reading in a history book that "the two greatest technological leaps in human history were the discovery of fire and another one".
        Last edited by Quijote; 06-16-2010, 08:20 PM. Reason: Adding mock quotation marks

Comment

Originally posted by Hofrat View Post
          The writer of the CD line notes is an expert in 18th and 19th century music and he knows who the composer of the 2nd C# minor symphony is. I was hoping that someone from this forum would know.
          I find it incomprehensible that he doesn't mention the provenance of that second symphony, as the choice of key is most unusual. Who is the author of the CD liner notes, Hofrat?
          Last edited by Quijote; 06-16-2010, 08:24 PM. Reason: The name, Hofrat, give me the name of this fellow.

Comment

The liner notes in question were written by Bertil van Boer. You can read them here:

http://www.naxos.com/mainsite/blurbs...guage=English#

He seems to be around on the Internet, so perhaps someone could get a hold of him an ask him.

Comment

Today:

Röntgen:
              Variatonen über ein Norwegische Volksweise (1930)
              Weirdly enough I heard some pre-echos of Moeran’s variations from his Sinfonietta. Tovey has more than once played this Röntgen piece in the 1930s...

Comment

Tonight:

Alfred Brendel (Farewell recital), Mozart Sonata F Major, K533/494 and I'm following with the Henle Verlag score. What a wonderful work - so many interesting keys that I'll have to get manuscript paper out tomorrow to figure out what they all are. Can anybody tell me why this work appears to have two catalogue numbers?

Also reading the accompanying tribute to Brendel in the form of a letter from Vienna Philharmonic Chairman, Prof. Dr. Clemens Hellsberg, included with the CDs.

What a fabulous pianist and polymath - so much to give thanks for!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bonn1827 View Post
                  Tonight:

Alfred Brendel (Farewell recital), Mozart Sonata F Major, K533/494 and I'm following with the Henle Verlag score. What a wonderful work - so many interesting keys that I'll have to get manuscript paper out tomorrow to figure out what they all are. Can anybody tell me why this work appears to have two catalogue numbers?
                  K 533 is the first two movements, K 494 is the Rondo. In 1788 Hoffmeister published them together as a sonata. For this publication, Mozart composed an additional 27-measure "cadenza" for K 494 to establish cohesiveness.

Comment

Today:

Röntgen:
                    Symphony [no.18] in A (1931)

Bowen:
                    Symphony no.1 (1901) (R3)
                    Nice Schumann-symphony for an 18 year (or so) old

Comment

Today:

JSBach:
                      Trio sonate in G BWV 530 (1730?) in an arrangement by Bartok for piano solo (1930) (R3: TtN)

Röntgen:
                      Norwegian Ballad
                      Een liedje van de Zee
                      (A Sea Shantie)

Comment

Albeniz - Iberia played by the incomparable Alicia de Larrocha who sadly died last September. Phenomenal playing and she had such tiny hands!
                        'Man know thyself'

Comment

I listened to something in the car the other day (our local classical music radio station called "Accent 4"). I don't usually listen to music in the car because it's engaging and therefore distracting and hence dangerous. Anyway, it was during a bit of a traffic jam so I thought "Allez, why not?". So I did. I heard (mid performance) some solo piano music that intrigued me : I thought : sounds like "pastiche" LvB but it isn't; snatches of Schubert, but it isn't; Mendelssohn, I thought? I waited for the DJ to explain. He did : Fanny Hensel. Who? Never heard of her.
                          After a bit of research I now know who she was. Sorry, I can't remember the title of the piece.

Comment

...I waited for the DJ to explain. He did : Fanny Hensel. Who? Never heard of her.
                            After a bit of research I now know who she was. Sorry, I can't remember the title of the piece....
                            Ah, you mean Fanny Mendelssohn-Bartholdy, married with one Wilhelm Hensel (and of which lady some compositions were published as being her brother's )

Comment

Today (only some 15 minutes I’m afraid ):

JSBach:
                              Cantate BWV 135 “Ach Herr, mich armen Sünder“ (1724, a cantata meant for this Sunday)

Comment

Today, a CD my "significant other" brought back from work :
                                Deutsche Elektronische Musik, Experimental German Rock and Electronic Music 1972 - 83. In particular, Tangerine Dream, "No Man's Land".

Comment

Working...
                                X