Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

These are all wonderful works and I don't spend enough time getting to know them better. You've inspired me.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
      No I can honestly say I haven't seen the score either, but I'll take your word for it and steer clear!
      Oh, you wet blanket!! Add icon : the "smiley one".
      Go on then, just for once (see just above). That's the last time I ever add an icon directly.

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
        In the meantime, listening again to Schoenberg's Pierrot Lunaire, this time with the score (Universal Edition), and marvelling at the writing. I don't know about you, but sitting in front of HiFi speakers detracts from the whole thing. I'd much rather hear this performed live, in some dingy bar in Berlin (or why not Vienna?). In fact any dingy bar, anywhere in the world. With a glass of Absinthe, and the right lighting.
        Speak of the atonal devil! I have been listening to "Verklarte Nacht", written by Arnie before he became the Terminator and sent music down a blind alley for the next half century.
        Alban Berg is on the same CD but I think I'll wait until I have a stiff drink in front of me. Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          Speak of the atonal devil! I have been listening to "Verklarte Nacht", written by Arnie before he became the Terminator and sent music down a blind alley for the next half century.
          Alban Berg is on the same CD but I think I'll wait until I have a stiff drink in front of me. Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.
          Sad that this is music which requires the listener to be imbibed before it can be enjoyed!! This weekend, I'm surrounded by all my family, with 2 new grandchildren (7 and 10 months respectively) who've already had a "go" at the piano!! The start of wonderful things to come, I hope. This evening:

Schubert, Piano Sonata D665 played by Richter

Everything is as it should be!

Comment

Listening to my granddaughter - age 7 practising for her first exam. Ode to Joy.
            My misfortune is doubly painful, I was bound to be misunderstood. LvB

Comment

Today:

Vaughan Williams:
              Serenade to Music (1938)

Tcherepnin:
              Piano concerto no.4 opus 78 (1947)
              Symphony no.4 op.91 (1958/’59)
              Piano concerto no.5 opus 96 (1963)

Comment

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
                Today:

Vaughan Williams:
                Serenade to Music (1938)

Tcherepnin:
                Piano concerto no.4 opus 78 (1947)
                Symphony no.4 op.91 (1958/’59)
                Piano concerto no.5 opus 96 (1963)
                Did the Serenade make a better impression this time Roehre?

Listening to Gade symphony no.1
                Falla - El Amor Brujo
                'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                  Did the Serenade make a better impression this time Roehre?
                  Hi Peter, to clarify my thoughts about the Serenade: I love the piece, either with 12 soloists, as choral piece, and also in tis purely instrumental version.

But I think the recording offered on this BBC Music magazine CD is rather boring, and still doesn't convince me.

Comment

Listening to Richard Harvey's Concerto Antico with the soloist John Williams. Quite beautiful music.
                    - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Tonight:

Brahms: Piano Concerto No. 2/Vienna Philharmonic/Haitink/Ashkenazy

Comment

Of course, when Michael writes "[...] and sent music down a blind alley for the next half century" he means "and opened up a radically new take on pitch combinations (limited to 12, as with Bach et al) that in effect unifies (or equalizes) musical space in every dimension". His consumption of absinthe had him befuddled there, for a moment.

Comment

Today:

Holliger:
                          (S)Irato (2009) (R3: TtN)

JSBach:
                          Cantate BWV 76 (for today, the 2nd Sunday after Trinity )

Tcherepnin:
                          Piano concerto no.6 opus 99 (1965)

Mathias:
                          Psalm 150 op.44 (1969) (R3)

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
                            Of course, when Michael writes "[...] and sent music down a blind alley for the next half century" he means "and opened up a radically new take on pitch combinations (limited to 12, as with Bach et al) that in effect unifies (or equalizes) musical space in every dimension". His consumption of absinthe had him befuddled there, for a moment.
                            Of course, Philip. That was what I was trying to say only the words wouldn't come. Actually, I have nothing against atonal music - I just don't like the sound it makes.

Comment

I am starting to work my way through Haydn's Baryton music. I have never heard any of this music. For that matter, I have never heard a baryton before, and so far, it's the sound of this instrument that has mainly caught my attention. It's like a baroque cello or viola da gamba in some ways, as you would expect, but those strings on the back give it a very interesting, full sound. The baryton trios are written for baryton, viola, and cello, and I find that it often sounds like a larger ensemble playing.

Comment

Of course, Philip. That was what I was trying to say only the words wouldn't come. Actually, I have nothing against atonal music - I just don't like the sound it makes.
                                Which is an echo of Mark Twain's immortal jape : "Wagner's music is better than it sounds". Or was it Bernard Shaw? Can't recall.

Comment

Working...
                                X