Beethoven: slow and sustained

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beethoven: slow and sustained

Long, have I found certain pieces of Beethoven's music to be played too fast for me to enjoy. So, because of this problem, I use software to slow certain pieces or movements. After they are slowed I find myself enjoying them much more. The reason why is because, they sound much better to my ears, they resonate much better (IMO), I have time while listening to think about the pieces and follow them with the score (which I cannot read, yet can see the markings and understand where I am at), the bass is much stronger- really everything about them except the slur and the pitch- which I am working on getting right. Which, as far as the slur, that is a software problem that I am working on fixing.

I should probably mention- I have a very serious soft-spot for slow music and feelings.

I ask each of you to listen to Beethoven's Piano Concerto #4 by clicking the link below and then clicking play hi-fi.

No problem, if any of you do not want to give it a listen and try.

Do understand, that you need to listen to the whole sample. At first, you may not be able to get into it because it may not sound right to your ears. Though, after listening and getting a good feeling for the slower tempo I think some of you may like it.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...&content=music

Now, if you enjoy the slower tempo of the 4th Piano Concerto then I have something special for you, !
    Last edited by Preston; 05-11-2010, 02:20 PM. Reason: pitch
    - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Preston, if you like your Beethoven played slowly, you should really get hold of Bohm's last version of the Ninth Symphony. I've become quite attached to it especially as I have never heard a better recording of the third movement. You get quite used to the tempo after a bit and, especially in the first movement, you can pick up a lot of details that fly past you in other versions.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      Preston, if you like your Beethoven played slowly, you should really get hold of Bohm's last version of the Ninth Symphony. I've become quite attached to it especially as I have never heard a better recording of the third movement. You get quite used to the tempo after a bit and, especially in the first movement, you can pick up a lot of details that fly past you in other versions.
      And of course Otto Klemperer!
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Are there any recordings of Celibidache (unsure of spelling here) conducting Beethoven? What I have heard from him are usually done in slower than normal tempos but they really work for me. One of my favorites of his recordings that I do have is that of Tchaikowsky's 5th Symphony. It's quite slow in this recording, but nonetheless, it is electrifying.

Comment

Sorrano;

You should try the "Ghost Trio" opus 70/1 second movement. It is the slowest music that Beethoven composed.
          "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

Or the third movement of the A minor quartet - mostly. (Although I have a recording by the LaSalle quartet and they positively race through it.)

Comment

Thanks for the tips; I am not necessarily looking for movements intended to be slow, but rather was curious how Celibidache handled Beethoven's fast movements.

Comment

I take it none listened to the file?

Comment

Originally posted by Preston View Post
                  I take it none listened to the file?
                  Very useful for study or for someone learning to read a score - but not for normal listening. At the very least, it's a complete distortion of the performers' intentions.

Comment

Very useful for study or for someone learning to read a score - but not for normal listening. At the very least, it's a complete distortion of the performers' intentions.
                    I understand what you are saying and thank you for taking the time to listen Michael. Though, each to their own- that is how I listen to pretty much all Beethoven- and I love it!

Comment

Originally posted by Preston View Post
                      I understand what you are saying and thank you for taking the time to listen Michael. Though, each to their own- that is how I listen to pretty much all Beethoven- and I love it!
                      But Preston it's not at all what Beethoven wanted - he marked the score Allegro Moderato not Andante! That's half speed which is clearly a distortion of the composer's wishes as much as ignoring dynamic markings would be. Why do you feel the need to do this?
                      'Man know thyself'

Comment

I think tempo - within reasonable limits - is a matter of personal taste. (I have a half-formed theory that one's perception of speed in performances is related to the body-clock.)
                        But if you want "slower" Beethoven, Preston, why not seek out recordings that favour slower tempi? There are no shortages of them. Slowing things down digitally is unnatural for normal listening purposes.
                        Carry on like that and you will wind up with the infamous 9 Beet Stretch:

http://www.expandedfield.net/

Comment

I think tempo - within reasonable limits - is a matter of personal taste. (I have a half-formed theory that one's perception of speed in performances is related to the body-clock.)
                          But if you want "slower" Beethoven, Preston, why not seek out recordings that favour slower tempi? There are no shortages of them. Slowing things down digitally is unnatural for normal listening purposes.
                          Carry on like that and you will wind up with the infamous 9 Beet Stretch:

http://www.expandedfield.net/
                          But I think Preston is a young man - I'm sure his body clock isn't going half speed just yet!
                          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                            But I think Preston is a young man - I'm sure his body clock isn't going half speed just yet!
                            Thanks, Peter. I needed that.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                              My body clock is not (at least I hope not, no offense Michael, ) though, I believe there is quite a different aspect than a body clock when it comes to music, as I am sure most of you do. A mind and soul clock where the feelings are meant to be savored and treasured, where each note should feel like an eternity (so to say), etc. When it comes to feeling I do not like fast feelings- because they are hard for me to savor.

Peter, I know, you know, one of the last things I would ever want is to change one note, one articulation, etc. of Beethoven's music. It is just that I find much more pleasure and peace in sustained feeling. When I said that I change most of Beethoven's work to slower tempi (for my sake) there are still many which I do not change.

I often find myself thinking Beethoven was so filled with the feeling that it must have been a completely different sound world for him than what I hear. I want to feel that sound world he created.

As for where I said each note could feel like an eternity. I am speaking of some form of supra-feeling. I read once where a Dalai Lama stated that, "this world is not supra (which I think is obvious) but that people have tapped into the supra" (I believe Beethoven was one of those individuals), and then he said something about the supra, "each second here on Earth could be like an eternity when speaking of a divinity".

No, I am not saying Beethoven was a divinity, of course. Though, I believe he tapped into some kind of sacred realm and wrote it out in his music.

Hope that makes some sense???

Comment

Working...
                              X