Commercials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Commercials

On a lighter note, I thought it might be interesting to examine what pieces are used in TV commercials. (ie Vivaldi and diamonds) I've seen the opening bars of the fifth for champagne, A Night On Bald Mountain for a car, the Nutcracker for soy beans, and a Cingular ad with a plump man break-dancing to CM that I don't recall. Self-expression is their theme, right?

And how could we foget Copland? "Beef - it's what's for dinner."

Comment

Originally posted by Jin:
      On a lighter note, I thought it might be interesting to examine what pieces are used in TV commercials. (ie Vivaldi and diamonds) I've seen the opening bars of the fifth for champagne, A Night On Bald Mountain for a car, the Nutcracker for soy beans, and a Cingular ad with a plump man break-dancing to CM that I don't recall. Self-expression is their theme, right?
      There seems to have been a trend away from Classical music in commercials over here in the UK - I remember far more were used in the 70's and Beethoven's Pastoral Symphony advertised Tweed perfume! No one around in the 70's can ever listen to Tchaikovsky's Sugar plum fairy from the Nutcracker without hearing the tones of Frank Muir singing 'Everyone's a fruit and nutcase!'

------------------
      'Man know thyself'

[This message has been edited by Peter (edited 08-08-2001).]
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

In New Zealand there is an advertisement for a national car selling company. It has glimpses of a man selling a car, an orchestra performing and fireworks, all doing this while Tchaikovskys' 1812 overture is being performed. It is a bad add that has mis-used a really good overture!

Another, is encouraging people to invest in Pine trees. A helicopter is taking aerial photographs while Vivaldis Summer from four seasons is playing.

Another is a lady is standing in her home trying to sell Jib heating solutions, while she is going on about that (which no one cares about) Chopins' Fantasie impromptu (slow movement) is playing. It is a bad example because the add finishes just as you start to relly get past her annoying voice and start to listen to the impromptu.

I don't think I need to mention how often Handels' Water music is played. In New Zealand it has been used to sell everything from Cars, magazines, HOUSES, and much more!

Infact I think that a while ago I saw in a shop, a C.D compiled all of the well known classics (T.V abused ones) all packed cheaply on to a C.D.

But there is no denying that alot of people abuse such masterpieces on the informercials.

Another one that is exclusive to New Zealand, is there is a bowling tournament and while everyone is doing their respective bowls, Strauss's Blue Danube is playing.

There is heaps of examples!

oboe_15

------------------
        Beethoven and all composers Rock!

[This message has been edited by oboe_15 (edited 08-08-2001).]
        Beethoven and all composers Rock!

Comment

Here in the US it's no different. On the radio there is an ad for Blockbuster Videos
          which has Beethoven's 9th (choral) singing while some idiot is trying to get you into their video store. 'Course they change the words with something stupid like "Videos, videos, etc." Every time I hear it I want to look up and say, "Sorry, Beethoven." We also have collections of classical commercial songs and also TV theme songs that fits snugly into one little CD. Ugh!!

Joy
          'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
            Here in the US it's no different. On the radio there is an ad for Blockbuster Videos
            which has Beethoven's 9th (choral) singing while some idiot is trying to get you into their video store. 'Course they change the words with something stupid like "Videos, videos, etc." Every time I hear it I want to look up and say, "Sorry, Beethoven." We also have collections of classical commercial songs and also TV theme songs that fits snugly into one little CD. Ugh!!

Joy
            On the stars comcerail on TV they messed up the lyrics on Beethoven's ninth! "movies,Movies" I hate it so bad just like you joy, and abuslutly agree with you. :rolled eyes:

------------------
            freedom for all- Ludwig Van Beethoven

Comment

And the association of opera with pasta and Presto sauce. La donna e mobile and Figaro have really suffered.

[This message has been edited by Jin (edited 08-09-2001).]

Comment

Originally posted by Jin:
                And the association of opera with pasta and Presto sauce. La donna e mobile and Figaro have really suffered.

[This message has been edited by Jin (edited 08-09-2001).]
                Tell me about it. I remember I've seen this stupid printing comcerial three months ago. They had Beethoven's 8th symphony in a comcerail were people doing stupid thing you could know of. I don't know you beethoven fans seen this.

[This message has been edited by ~Immortal Beloved~ (edited 08-09-2001).]

Comment

I remember a year or so ago in the US, there was a commercial for a car with a computer navigation system. They used the first movement of Beethoven's 9th in that. I think the timpani player arrived just in time to strike his opening notes (thanks to the car, of course).

Comment

Recently I saw an ad which made use of B's "Romance for Violin and Orchestra" (the F major one) which struck me as going outside the usual repertoire.
                    As far as I'm concerned, it failed as a commercial because I can't remember what the product was.

Michael

Comment

In Belgium, where I live, sweet romantic chamber pieces were used to sell the expensive Mercedes cars: another annoying association of classical music with modern aristocracy. It had the hidden message:'If you drive a Mercedes, you're as classy as this music' or if you will: 'If you listen to classical music, you're classy enough to drive a Mercedes'.
                      Honestly, in any commercial or film, the background music used for scenes with rich people, is always a classical cliché (Vivaldi's spring, the Lacrimosa from the Mozart-Süssmayr requiem, Für Elise and many more).
                      This really gives people the wrong idea about this music. E.g. I was going to the opera for the first time and my mother panicked that I didn't had the proper clothes. She expected I had to dress up for the opera.
                      This is really bothering me, what do you think?
                      Jens

Comment

"When in Rome, do as the Romans do." If it is the practice where you live to dress up for the opera, I'd dress up. If you do not, you could well look out of place.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris:
                          "When in Rome, do as the Romans do." If it is the practice where you live to dress up for the opera, I'd dress up. If you do not, you could well look out of place.
                          The opera culture is to 'dress up' when you visit an opera house, yet in the classical music halls (eg the Royal Festival Hall, Barbican Hall) you can wear a t-shirt and jeans without feeling self-conscious, at least here in London. I've go no problem with dressing up per se, the problem is that the opera culture itself is a disgrace to the name of music.

------------------
                          "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
                          http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ~Immortal Beloved~:
                            [B] Tell me about it. I remember I've seen this stupid printing comcerial three months ago. They had Beethoven's 8th symphony in a comcerail were people doing stupid thing you could know of. I don't know you beethoven fans seen this.

Is it the one where the guy is being rescusitated and his life is flashing before his eyes and most of his life was at the copy machine? At least they used something a little different that the 5th or 9th for a change

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by Suzie:
                              [b]
                              Originally posted by ~Immortal Beloved~:
                              Tell me about it. I remember I've seen this stupid printing comcerial three months ago. They had Beethoven's 8th symphony in a comcerail were people doing stupid thing you could know of. I don't know you beethoven fans seen this.

Is it the one where the guy is being rescusitated and his life is flashing before his eyes and most of his life was at the copy machine? At least they used something a little different that the 5th or 9th for a change

that's the one I was talking about! I didn't know you seen that one.

Comment

Working...
                              X