No announcement yet.

Haitink's Beethoven 6 with the LSO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks everyone, this is all so very interesting. I'll certainly buy the Bohm/VPO - trouble is so many are NLA through retailers. That's what I'm finding and that's why I bought Haitink (from whom I expected better. Blame LSO?) but it was a Live Recording...!

Roger Norrington looking upwards (to LvB)? Yes, it's nice to take the stuffiness out of art music, but I wouldn't encourage clapping between movements - think how live recordings will end up, for starters.

I think Michael is into fishnets, rather than latex. Isn't that so Michael?

Comment

Originally posted by Bonn1827 View Post
      Thanks everyone, this is all so very interesting. I'll certainly buy the Bohm/VPO - trouble is so many are NLA through retailers. That's what I'm finding and that's why I bought Haitink (from whom I expected better. Blame LSO?) but it was a Live Recording...!

Roger Norrington looking upwards (to LvB)? Yes, it's nice to take the stuffiness out of art music, but I wouldn't encourage clapping between movements - think how live recordings will end up, for starters.

I think Michael is into fishnets, rather than latex. Isn't that so Michael?
      I like Norrington's version of the 6th with the London Classical Players. As to the fishnets, that's a question for our fisher-of-men administrator. Good Lord, what am I doing here on this forum?

Comment

Oh, and don't forget leather - he's also into leather I hear!! Tan me hide when I've died, Clyde!!

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          This is a hard question to answer as Beethoven often worked on several compositions at the same time.
          Michael, although that is a perception to which Beethoven himself definitely has contributed (Schindler here hasn't got much to do with this for a change), most of the time he was just concentrating on one composition at the time. The fifth symphony's main sketches are all concentrated in the (now unfortunately dispersed) Sketchbook of 1807-1808 (followed by sketches for the cello sonata opus 69, preceded by those for the Leonore I overture op.138).
          It was in use from ca. september 1807 to the beginning of 1808.

The so-called "Pastoral"-sketchbook - you guess - is nearly completely dedicated to sketching the 6th symphony and the immediately following Piano trios opus 70 (and including the MacBeth sketch for an opera of that name).
          It was used from the beginning to about September of 1808.

Chronologically 5 and 6 were composed in that order therefore.

This doesn't mean that all sketches, and certainly not the preliminary ones, are concentrated on these pages. The 5th "motive" and a sketch which may be related to the brook-scene in 6 can be found among the very first sketches of Leonore, i.e. nearly immediately following the completion of the Eroica.
          Last edited by Roehre; 04-16-2010, 09:30 AM. Reason: removing some typos

Comment

Originally posted by Bonn1827 View Post
            Oh, and don't forget leather - he's also into leather I hear!! Tan me hide when I've died, Clyde!!
            And to think that this was a nice respectable forum until Philip came out of his coffin again!

Comment

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
              Michael, although that is a perception to which Beethoven himself definitely has contributed (Schindler here hasn't got much to do with this for a change), most of the time he was just concentrating on one composition at the time. The fifth symphony's main sketches are all concentrated in the (now unfortunately dispersed) Sketchbook of 1807-1808 (followed by sketches for the cello sonata opus 69, preceded by those for the Leonore I overture op.138).
              It was in use from ca. september 1807 to the beginning of 1808.

The so-called "Pastoral"-sketchbook - you guess - is nearly completely dedicated to sketching the 6th symphony and the immediately following Piano trios opus 70 (and including the MacBeth sketch for an opera of that name).
              It was used from the beginning to about September of 1808.

Chronologically 5 and 6 were composed in that order therefore.

This doesn't mean that all sketches, and certainly not the preliminary ones, are concentrated on these pages. The 5th "motive" and a sketch which may be related to the brook-scene in 6 can be found among the very first sketches of Leonore, i.e. nearly immediately following the completion of the Eroica.
              Thanks, Roehre, for coming to the rescue again! There's a lot to be said for Occam and his jolly old razor.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                And to think that this was a nice respectable forum until Philip came out of his coffin again!
                Coffin? Last time you were whinging to Nurse that I was out of my bed again. Be consistent, would you please, Michael?

Comment

Working...
                X