This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gprengel View Post
    It is the overture to the fragmentary Opera from around 1783 "Lo sposo deluso" KV.430
    I must admit that Erich Schmidt-Issestedt/Eric Smith did a wunderful job in re-creating this music, as in Mozart's handwriting it only exists in a very sketchy (sometimes even pencil only) score (contrary to the general assumption that Mozart didn't sketch, but composed exclusively in his head before writing down the music).

And that's why you cut the music as well Gerd?, as AFAIK the music develops straight into the first vocal number.

Comment

I know that the overture flows directly into the first Aria. I just presented here the first track of my CD. I wish I could present lots of CD Tracks here because there are a good numer of wonderful ensemble pieces - truly forshadowing the Figaro...

Comment

I know that the overture flows directly into the first Aria. I just presented here the first track of my CD. I wish I could present lots of CD Tracks here because there are a good numer of wonderful ensemble pieces - truly forshadowing the Figaro...
        A very fine piece indeed - thanks for sharing these unknowns with us! I think this is a great thread and everyone is welcome to contribute their own teasers - let's see how many hidden gems we can unearth.
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
          A very fine piece indeed - thanks for sharing these unknowns with us! I think this is a great thread and everyone is welcome to contribute their own teasers - let's see how many hidden gems we can unearth.
          Thank you, Peter, it is fun for me too, but I begin to be a bit concerned about whether it is legal to present these on my website. A handful pieces probably is ok, but how far can I go .... ?

Comment

What a fun thread. Can I play too?
            ALL : No!
            Me : Oh, go on!
            Be warned, quiz players, gprengel will soon slip in one of his own compositions to fool you. Before that unhappy event, may I ask how one can post such extracts? You will need to explain the procedure as if to a Neanderthal man, if you please. I ask as I would like to test our quiz master himself. What musical periods are we limited to?

Comment

Oh, I have just read the rules : Classic and Romantic periods only. Fair enough. How to post the extracts, please, in terms a Neanderthal can understand. Thank you.

Comment

I feel embarrassed suggesting this wasn't a first ranking composer, so I won't contribute to this any more. Well, not everything Mozart wrote was wonderful!! Eine Kleine Nachtmusik - Yuk!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bonn1827 View Post
                  I feel embarrassed suggesting this wasn't a first ranking composer, so I won't contribute to this any more. Well, not everything Mozart wrote was wonderful!! Eine Kleine Nachtmusik - Yuk!!
                  I wouldn't worry about it, Bonn1827. When I listen to Beethoven's "Battle Symphony" I don't get the impression I'm listening to a first ranking composer either. The music doesn't rank, it reeks. Eine Kleine Nachtmusik? Yes, overplayed, but well written. Ditto "Für Elise".

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
                    ...Be warned, quiz players, gprengel will soon slip in one of his own compositions to fool you. Before that unhappy event...
                    What a stupid comment is that?

Comment

Gerd, it would be nice to hear one of your compositions anyway. How clever that you compose music!! I appreciate your musical knowledge too.

Comment

Thank you, Peter, it is fun for me too, but I begin to be a bit concerned about whether it is legal to present these on my website. A handful pieces probably is ok, but how far can I go .... ?
                        I'm no legal expert but I think if you just present excerpts rather than the whole thing you should be ok - also probably good to list cd details after the answers have been posted here.
                        'Man know thyself'

Comment

What a stupid comment is that?
                          I do apologize, gprengel, I was trying to make a lighthearted quip that has clearly fallen flat (or sharp, depending on your tonal approach). I would like to play your quiz, and I would also like to test you. My problem is that I am somewhat of a Neanderthal when it comes to technology, so I would appreciate any help you can give me when it comes to posting extracts.

But I also wish to be transparent with you : I too studied composition, and I even have had two "works" published. I won't reveal where you can find them, as they are pedagogical pieces for young 'cellists, plus one work I managed to get performed by the Strasbourg Conservatoire some years ago and broadcast on local regional radio. All these works (all?) are not worthy of study, I assure you. This is why I am now a humble harmony teacher at University.

Now, concerning your recent violin/piano sonata : I found it derivative, dull, uninspired and frightfully unoriginal, with numerous errors of écriture and unidiomatic string writing. It is, I fear, a work driven by a notational programme such as Finale or similar.

Back to the quiz, if you please.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonn1827 View Post
                            Gerd, it would be nice to hear one of your compositions anyway. How clever that you compose music!! I appreciate your musical knowledge too.
                            I have just given my honest appraisal of Gerd's compositional approach. I can't speak for him, but if I ever heard someone say my music was "nice" I would give up immediately. How clever that he composes music? I have about 30 students a year who "compose" music, and I would not necessarily call them clever. I am tired and grumpy, and am done with being diplomatic for the moment. Instructions for the quiz, please.
                            Last edited by Quijote; 04-16-2010, 06:27 PM. Reason: Grumpiness

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
                              I have just given my honest appraisal of Gerd's compositional approach. I can't speak for him, but if I ever heard someone say my music was "nice" I would give up immediately. How clever that he composes music? I have about 30 students a year who "compose" music, and I would not necessarily call them clever. I am tired and grumpy, and am done with being diplomatic for the moment. Instructions for the quiz, please.
                              Chris is the one to explain it to you in English (American!). As for Gerd I hope he isn't put off from posting by your 'diplomacy'! I have a little quiz for you that doesn't involve music directly but requires the identification of the composer from the following clues:

Travelling in a horsedrawn coach (at an average speed of 9 m.p.h), ************ and his troupe were to wend their way through 65 towns and cities and cover 3,389 miles. He had varying opinions of his five travelling companions. He described Frank Mori, the duettist, as "a nasty little dog", the singer Mlle de Varny as "absolutely detestable" and Louisa Bassano, another singer, as "a nice unpretentious girl". Together this incongruous band wove their way through the British Isles, combatting the most adverse weather conditions and illnesses.
                              'Man know thyself'

Comment

The little 10-year old brat brought along by Czerny who proceeded to play Bach and then transposed it at sight on B's request?

Comment

Working...
                                X