• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today:

Ford:
    Brandelli (piano trio, 2004)

Kupferman
    Concerto for cello, tape and orchestra (1974)

de Raaff
    Piano trio (1996 rev 2001)

Colgrass:
    Concertmasters (3 violins and orchestra, 1977)

Nasveld
    Hanging around (piano trio, 2003)

Comment

I just returned from The Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception in Washington D.C. Today the first Traditional Latin Mass in over forty years was said there, to commemorate the 5th anniversary of the pontificate of Pope Benedict XVI. It was a Pontifical Solemn Mass, said by Edward Slattery, bishop of Tulsa. It included much wonderful music, including Gregorian Chant for the propers, Palestrina's Missa Tu es Petrus for the ordinary, and much wonderful organ music, including the A minor Prelude and Fugue by Bach.

Absolutely stunning.

Comment

Chris, this was a wonderful and most envious expoerience!! The music was just perfect for this solemn occasion and I share your enthusiasm for it. Not to trivialize it one little bit Chris, the Catholic Church can put on a "show" when it wants to, and how!! This time last year - exactly - I was at a Latin Sunday mass in the Hofburg Chapel in Vienna. The orchestra, secreted upstairs and out of view, and accompanied by the Vienna Boys' Choir, played the Haydn St. Nicholas Mass. (I've mentioned this before on a previous thread, that my heavenly experience was nearly destroyed by a constantly chatting Italian couple sitting next to us.) Apart from the Sunday Mass - multicultural - in Notre Dame, accompanied by organ - this was the highlight, actually, of our European trip..oh, possibly apart from things related to LvB, and a performance of Mozart's Requiem in Karlskirke.

Afterwards we went to Vienna Stephensdom to catch the remnants of their Sunday Mass.

All the awful things the Church is going through at the moment puts me in fear for the future, especially in regard to a certain ritual and solemnity which modern culture no longer seems to value. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this, Chris.

Comment

Today:

JSBach:
          Cantate “Weinen, Klagen, Zorgen, Zagen” BWV 12 and
          Cantate “ Wir müssen durch viel Trübsal” BWV 146 (both meant for today, Jubilate)

Tielman Susato:
          Danserye (12 dances) (p.1555) plus

Thoinot Arbeau:
          L’Orchésographie (p.1588)

Julius Röntgen;
          6 Oud-Nederlandsche Dansen (6 Early Netherlandish Dances) opus 46 (1904)

Warlock:
          Capriol Suite (1926)

Poulenc:
          Suite francaise (1935)
          Sinfonietta (1947)

Langgaard:
          Symphony no.4 “Lovfald” (1916)
          Symphony no.5 “Steppenatur” (1931)

Comment

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
            Today: [...] Warlock: Capriol Suite (1926)
            I refer to this work in particular as I have played it to hell (full strings and in quartet version). I don't know why exactly, but every time I was involved in its "execution" I couldn't help thinking of it as, well, to adapt another comment by Boulez concerning Shostakovitch, "a third or fourth pressing" of the Elgar "olive". Can't imagine why; I was at the time a mere "éxecutant" of his (Warlock's) compositional labour.
            Last edited by Quijote; 04-25-2010, 10:50 PM. Reason: Olive oil, and redundant prepositional clause

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
              I refer to this work in particular as I have played it to hell (full strings and in quartet version). I don't know why exactly, but every time I was involved in its "execution" I couldn't help thinking of it as, well, to adapt another comment by Boulez concerning Shostakovitch, "a third or fourth pressing" of the Elgar "olive". Can't imagine why; I was at the time a mere "éxecutant" of his (Warlock's) compositional labour.
              Capriol suite is a compilation of six dances taken from Susato's Danserye (of which the music was plagiarized by Arbeau), as btw are the Röntgen dances and Poulenc's French Suite.

So, this olive had been pressed before Warlock/Hesseltine even looked at it....

Comment

Today:

Arriaga:
                Herminie – lyric scene (1824?) (R3 TtN)

Schuman:
                Symphony [no.5] for Strings (1943)

Louis Andriessen:
                De Stijl (1984/’85)

Mahler:
                Blumine (1881?) (R3)

Schubert/Glanert:
                Einsamkeit D.620 (orch.2009) (R3)

Comment

Hi I'm new.

I'm listening to Beethoven's Cantata on the Death of Joseph II So beautiful.
                  My misfortune is doubly painful, I was bound to be misunderstood. LvB

Comment

Originally posted by Tillyvalle View Post
                    Welcome on these boards, Tillyvale

Which performance of tis Cantata awere you listening to?

Comment

Originally posted by Tillyvalle View Post
                      Yes welcome Tillyvalle - indeed there is wonderful music in the early cantatas and Beethoven used some of it again in his opera Fidelio. I have a recording with the Corydon singers.
                      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Tonight listening to: Schubert, "Schwanengesang" (Dietrich Fischer Dieskau/Gerald Moore)

Comment

Thank you for your words of welcome. I adore Beethoven and love any opportunity to learn more about hm and his music.

The Cantata I'm listening to is sung by Kiri Te Kanawa. I have just bought a dvd of Fidelio made in 1970. Wonderful!

I love Dietrich Fischer Dieskau singing Schubert's "Litanei auf das Fest Aller Seelen" What a voice!
                          Last edited by Tillyvalle; 04-27-2010, 12:31 PM.
                          My misfortune is doubly painful, I was bound to be misunderstood. LvB

Comment

Today I am listening to John Eliot Gardiner's recording of Handel's Messiah.

Comment

You will forgive me for this contribution, but you know me by now. Walking near a tramway under construction near my daughter's school as I was on the way to pick her up, I was struck by the sound of some stone-cutting tool that had definite key pitch and harmonics that diverged and resolved in a most pleasing way. I almost had the feeling that the guy was "playing" it.

Comment

It was John Cage!!! He's alive!!

Comment

Working...
                                X