No announcement yet.

Beethoven's uniqueness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Of course Beethoven can be "singable!" Take his Andante contabile from his "Archduke" trio. Liszt used this theme in his "Cantata to Beethoven!" Liszt truly made it "cantabile!!"
    "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

Of course, I wasn't trying to imply the contrary. Roehre was suggesting that singing such themes would point up a "melodic fingerprint" based on the interval of the 4th or 5th, which I have dealt with above.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonn1827 View Post
        I have to agree with much of this Phillip. But I still think there are recogniseable "Beethoven chords". Oh, look it's all just so wonderful really. How lucky we are!
        Quite right. We shall talk later of such chords. In the meantime, a little comment (or an aside) for Peter who takes much care over such things : Bonn1827 has misspelt my name. Again. But don't let it worry you all too much. Add icon. Smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
          Quite right. We shall talk later of such chords. In the meantime, a little comment (or an aside) for Peter who takes much care over such things : Bonn1827 has misspelt my name. Again. But don't let it worry you all too much. Add icon. Smiling.
          Perhaps I could add here, on your name spelling, that the "i" followed by the "l', then another "i", can get blurred together so that the appearance is a double "l". For those of use who's eyesight isn't as good as it used to be it's hard to tell, sometimes.

ilililililililillilililil

Comment

No, I WANT to worry about it Philip! My husband has just been diagnosed with an ongoing auto-immune disease but I PREFER to worry about mis-spelling your name: as I was an English teacher. No sleep. Nightmares. Icon of a Crown.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonn1827 View Post
              No, I WANT to worry about it Philip! My husband has just been diagnosed with an ongoing auto-immune disease but I PREFER to worry about mis-spelling your name: as I was an English teacher. No sleep. Nightmares. Icon of a Crown.
              Oh dear. In terms of misspelling names and the concomitant lack of respect therein (me : Roehre; you : Philip), I just wanted to see if there was "One law for the Christians, another for the Jews", so to speak. We have our answer, it appears.

Comment

Tell you what, to save all this confusion, why don't you just call me Felipe, as my Spanish aunts and uncles do? I did try to change my name just now, using the user's CP (Control Panel), but to no avail.

Comment

Talking of Spaniards, what was Beethoven's last address? And wasn't our dear Louis reported to have been a bit on the tanned side?

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
                    Talking of Spaniards, what was Beethoven's last address? And wasn't our dear Louis reported to have been a bit on the tanned side?
                    Yes, I remember reading an account in Thayer where the author of the account wrote that his skin was very dark at the time from the Baden sun.
                    Last edited by Preston; 03-07-2010, 09:16 PM. Reason: m
                    - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

With the greatest respect (Philip!) to all contributors I would suggest that the "tanned" appearance would be because of the accumulation of bilirubin in the blood as he died, I think, from liver failure. It produces a darkened, yellow effect. I think the sun would have an impact after decades of consistent exposure and, as we know, it isn't "sunny" at least half of the year in Europe. I think we need look no further than disease, in all probability.

Comment

Originally posted by Preston View Post
                        Yes, I remember reading an account in Thayer where the author of the account wrote that his skin was very dark at the time from the Baden sun.
                        It was already in Bonn that Beethoven was nicknamed "Der Spagnol" because of his dark complexion.

Comment

Thanks. Yes, I knew about that. I got confused and thought, well just got confused. They also called him "The Spaniard" for his thick black hair and stocky build.
                          - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

I don't care whether he was tanned, black, white or bridle!! He's a hero and I ADORE his music.

Comment

Working...
                            X