No announcement yet.

Favourite Conductors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My favorite Beethoven conductor overall is also Toscanini. Even in mono sound the NBC recordings cut you right down the middle. I've heard some rehearsal extracts tho and I have to admit it must have been frustrating to be yelled at so much.

Leonard Bernstein was instrumental in helping me to understand and 'hear' Beethoven's symphonies, tho I don't put him on much these days. Karajan '63 is my 'reference' set.

Paavo Jarvi and David Zinman are my favorite period conductors, followed by Immerseel. I have a live recording of Harnoncourt's 5th Symphony which is >blistering<, tho his official recording is much more measured. I think some people here have seen the Eroica movie with John Eliot Gardiner in it. That version (in the film) has a tiny orchestra but the voices really pop. Sir Georg Solti: EPIC! Liebowitz: as driven as Toscanini but with stereo sound and razor-sharp phrasing. Furtwangler 1942 9th: apocalyptic, hard to believe it's just music....

Comment

Welcome to the forum, djmomo17! My own introduction to Beethoven was with what is now my favorite all time recording of any of his works: Toscanini conducting the 5th Symphony.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
        Welcome to the forum, djmomo17! My own introduction to Beethoven was with what is now my favorite all time recording of any of his works: Toscanini conducting the 5th Symphony.
        Wow - that's quite an introduction. So it has been downhill ever since?

Comment

Originally posted by djmomo17 View Post
          Wow - that's quite an introduction. So it has been downhill ever since?
          Not in the least! These works grow on a person with each successive listen. You might say that familiarity, in this case, breeds admiration.

Comment

Not in the least! These works grow on a person with each successive listen. You might say that familiarity, in this case, breeds admiration.

I totally agree, I heard it said on a documentary I think, that even when we know something is going to surprise us in a musical work (such as an oddly placed sforzando), it doesn't diminish the enjoyment, in fact the opposite. That effect is less present in pop music or jazz unfortunately. Which is why I can only listen to my rock music collection while doing the dishes....

Comment

It seems, Furtwangler, is a very controlled, moderated, etc., and all a round a good conductor. I have seen and heard only one piece of music with him conducting- the overture to Don Giovanni. I was very impressed with his composure and the music.

Karajan is too flamboyant for my taste. For instance, when conducting a Beethoven piece- he acts like he is Beethoven, or, acts as though, "THE POWER IS WITHIN HIM"- and only him. I cannot respect that.

Furtwangler, stands calmly, patient, moderated, etc. playing such an intense and dark piece of music. He does not try to wield the power of it, he just feels it- so to say.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnbxpvfISkc
              - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Karajan does have some great recordings. Fortunately, you don't have to watch him to hear them.

Comment

Originally posted by Preston View Post
                  Karajan is too flamboyant for my taste. For instance, when conducting a Beethoven piece- he acts like he is Beethoven, or, acts as though, "THE POWER IS WITHIN HIM"- and only him. I cannot respect that.

You mean..like this?

http://lvbandmore.blogspot.com/2010/...ers-again.html

Comment

LOL! That is indeed flamboyant!

Though, seems an opposite side of him than his conducting side. When I said flamboyant I meant this:

Showy, bold or audacious in behaviour, appearance, etc.
                    - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Sorrano, You probably have seen the recording on Youtube but just in case:

There's a playlist from today's blog:
                      http://lvbandmore.blogspot.com/2010/...beethoven.html

Comment

Sorrano, You probably have seen the recording on Youtube but just in case:

There's a playlist from today's blog:
                        http://lvbandmore.blogspot.com/2010/...beethoven.html
                        Thank you so kindly for sharing that link! This is not one I have seen and after listening (watching) to the first movement have been deeply moved. This, I believe, is the self-same recording that I had, perhaps my first record ever. It was my favorite as long as I had it. This was my real introduction into the world of Beethoven and of music. Now I have the remastered set of the nine symphonies, including the Missa Solemnis. The poise, with which Toscanini conducts this great work, is incredible. Thank you again, for sharing; this has stirred up some deep sentiments within that I have not experienced for awhile.

Comment

Thanks, Djmomo, for your excellent links. This 1952 Toscanini performance may have been one of those recorded for Mercury. Incandescent playing on those wonderful recordings. The size of the orchestra is an issue for me, but certainly not the musicianship and interpretation.
                          Last edited by Bonn1827; 08-26-2010, 05:58 AM.

Comment

I did find it a bit surprising that Sir Simon Rattle was chosen as successor to Karajan ,at the Berlin Philharmonic, because he was such a different type of person. But that was the point, the B.P.O. was signalling that it wanted a change of dircection and management, and to be fair, Sir Simon Rattle has made quite a success of his role. I saw him a few years ago at the Royal Albert Hall, conducting , Beethoven's Symphony no. 9. with the B.P.O.
                            And it was quite superb.
                            ‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

Comment

I've got tickets to see/hear Sir Simon in Sydney with the Berlin Philharmonic in November!! I read a recent article about the things you've discussed, Megan, about Karajan's successor. Simon says he is more committed to "modern" art music and the orchestra wanted to move away from more "traditional" repertoire. Simon says, "they know they've taken a risk with me". I like that!! I like "risk takers"!! And, anyway, he's a hunk!!

Comment

I heard that there was a bit of a falling out with Karajan, and it may even have hastened his demise. I remember reading about it at the time that friends of his said tha he was shocked how the orchestra had turned on him and it had been his pride and joy for many years. However, they have done well under 'hunky' Sir Simon !
                                I must say I love his wife 's vioce, Mezzo Soprano. Magdelena Kozena.

Here is a link to a brief video interview with Sir Simon discussing Brahms' symphonies.

http://www.emiclassics.com/artistbiography.php?aid=72
                                Last edited by Megan; 08-27-2010, 07:30 AM.
                                ‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

Comment

Working...
                                X