Music Education in Crisis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Music Education in Crisis?

I've read recently in one of our (Australian) newspapers that "classical music" has been used in shopping malls and car parks to deter "hoons" (young people who are dumb, gather in gangs, drive cars too fast and make for general antisocial behaviour). Loud speakers have been put in some car parks near railway stations at night, with "classical music" being played, and apparently this has proven to be an effective deterrent. Firstly, I'm not at all sure what the definition is when they refer to "classical music" - perhaps Andre Rieu (spelling) - but the idea that fine music is totally anathema to some young people shows how far down the food chain many have slipped. Some adult has obviously thought up the idea. Can that person be any less reprehensible than the hoons who respond so badly to this kind of music?

On the other hand, I would find it torture to have to listen to loud rock/pop music. I actually have a theory that this latter kind of music is actually intended to drive people into a frenzy. Witness stadium rock. But that it is actually fostered in high schools on Music programs as worthy of study above all else is where the real atrocity lies. Oh, and don't forget, cultural relativism and political correctness have been introduced in tandem to make sure that it cannot be criticized as being lesser, artistically, than fine music!

It is also being used in some schools in the UK as a form of punishment - detention listening to Classical music has proved an effective deterrent!
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

I always felt it was my job to be something of a music proselytizer, even though I was teaching English. So, at every opportunity it came into the English or Drama classrooms. When I had gained power and control of the class nobody would dare criticize because the cool kids would say, "don't show your ignorance...such and such (names)". So, great kids made it possible in the end. We patronize them so terribly by NOT giving them the great opportunities to see life in Technicolor, and not black and white - a metaphor I choose to use which describes life with classical music as opposed to that without!! To say that music is used to punish kids on detention makes me despair even more about my colleagues in the teaching profession in the UK.

One class of Year 9 actually went into revolt early on when I showed them "Romeo and Juliet" (Cranko) ballet, music by Prokofiev, as a prelude to studying the Shakespeare. I got angry - this was a new school with kids I wasn't familiar with - and told them, "I'm glad you all don't like it because I wouldn't want to compete with you for the best seats!" Unprofessional, I know!

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
        It is also being used in some schools in the UK as a form of punishment - detention listening to Classical music has proved an effective deterrent!
        If that were the case here I'd be getting in trouble all the time (and getting caught on purpose).

Comment

Originally posted by Bonn1827 View Post
          I've read recently in one of our (Australian) newspapers that "classical music" has been used in shopping malls and car parks to deter "hoons" (young people who are dumb, gather in gangs, drive cars too fast and make for general antisocial behaviour). Loud speakers have been put in some car parks near railway stations at night, with "classical music" being played, and apparently this has proven to be an effective deterrent. Firstly, I'm not at all sure what the definition is when they refer to "classical music" - perhaps Andre Rieu (spelling) - but the idea that fine music is totally anathema to some young people shows how far down the food chain many have slipped. Some adult has obviously thought up the idea. Can that person be any less reprehensible than the hoons who respond so badly to this kind of music?
          I remember reading that this idea actually backfired in a number of places and that the kids they were trying to drive away actually got to like some of the classical pieces. It wasn't anything like a huge revolution in musical appreciation but I did read a news item somewhere that the result was unexpected.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
            If that were the case here I'd be getting in trouble all the time (and getting caught on purpose).
            Yes being being 'sentenced' to a symphony or concerto would have saved my trips to the music library as a kid!
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Bonn1827 View Post

On the other hand, I would find it torture to have to listen to loud rock/pop music. I actually have a theory that this latter kind of music is actually intended to drive people into a frenzy. Witness stadium rock. But that it is actually fostered in high schools on Music programs as worthy of study above all else is where the real atrocity lies. Oh, and don't forget, cultural relativism and political correctness have been introduced in tandem to make sure that it cannot be criticized as being lesser, artistically, than fine music!
              Oh dear, this thread seems to have fizzled out. Which is a shame, because it merits much more critical attention. Allow me to redress/address that shortly. My starting position would be : I'll let you guess. More to follow later, mes enfants.

Comment

Working...
              X