The Ritterballet is now available on the Rare Beethoven page:
    www.kingsbarn.freeserve.co.uk/selected.html

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Originally posted by Peter:
    The Ritterballet is now available on the Rare Beethoven page:
    www.kingsbarn.freeserve.co.uk/selected.html

Thanks for putting that one up, Peter, I really want to hear that one. Now all I have to do is find a newer computer so I can play it!!
    'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
      Thanks for putting that one up, Peter, I really want to hear that one. Now all I have to do is find a newer computer so I can play it!!
      In this case, if you are really keen to hear the music, then the best (cheapest) option would be to buy the disk! Being on the Naxos label it should be readily available unless you live in the wilderness, and dirt cheap (£4.99 in UK).

------------------
      "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
      http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
        In this case, if you are really keen to hear the music, then the best (cheapest) option would be to buy the disk! Being on the Naxos label it should be readily available unless you live in the wilderness, and dirt cheap (£4.99 in UK).

Oh, I intend to this weekend!
        'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

What fun!!
          Thanks Rod and Peter, I really enjoyed that. Oh to be there, all dressed up, dancing to Beethoven.....sigh
          It's great to hear the history of the piece; don't know that I would have appreciated it as much without knowing that it was written for a masked ball.

Thanks for continually educating me!

Susan

Comment

Originally posted by Susan:
            What fun!!
            Thanks Rod and Peter, I really enjoyed that. Oh to be there, all dressed up, dancing to Beethoven.....sigh
            If you'd been there at the time you probably would have been told the music was the Counts!

Originally posted by Susan:

It's great to hear the history of the piece; don't know that I would have appreciated it as much without knowing that it was written for a masked ball.

Thanks for continually educating me!

Susan
            Well, music for the stage rarely makes total sence when removed from its context within the stage, which is why I would idealy recommed opera recordings, for example, for stereo VCR or DVD as opposed to CD. The same, ideally, would go for ballet music.

------------------
            "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 08-09-2001).]
            http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
              [I would idealy recommed opera recordings, for example, for stereo VCR or DVD as opposed to CD. The same, ideally, would go for ballet music.

[/B]
              About fifteen years ago I saw a tiny part of the "Ritterballet" (the pizzicato bit) on telly. It was part of a two-hour documentary on B, and that portion was in black and white.
              I wonder has anyone seen that documentary? It started off in a very imposing way with the march opening of the "Consecration of the House" overture, and while this was playing, about twenty different portraits of B were shown - from youth to old age - (or rather middle age). Unfortunately, I was unable to tape this and I have no other information about it, except that it was damn good.

Michael

Comment

Working...
              X