The top 5 most difficult instruments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The top 5 most difficult instruments

Which are the top 6 most difficult musical instruments to play or learn?

Please note, the heading reads 5 most difficult instruments has now been edited to 6.
    French Horn
    0.00%
    Violin
    66.67%
    Cello
    0.00%
    Piano
    33.33%
    Saxophone
    0.00%
    Digeridoo
    0.00%
    Last edited by Megan; 01-27-2010, 07:31 AM.
    ‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

Everyone will say the instrument they are learning! Seriously I think the piano is one of the hardest - you are in effect a one man (woman) orchestra. The huge range of repertoire and some of the incredible technical demands that are expected are greater than other instruments - also the competition is so enormous.
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

I find the organ even more challenging than the piano.

Comment

I agree, Sorrano. I believe the organ is the most difficult instrument. The piano is difficult because you have so much going on, and it is fairly easy to hit a wrong note. But the organ has even MORE going on, with the pedals and registration, and you don't have that wonderful sustain pedal to help you out! Of course, Peter's point about competition is a good one - tons of competition on the piano, though that does not affect the objective difficulty of mastering the instrument.

On the other hand, the violin (and other string instruments) are also very difficult. But for a different reason; it takes years just to be able to get a good sound out of it! On the piano, at least a total novice can sit down and play a single note, and it will sound good. After playing the violin for 20 years now, I am STILL not satisfied with the sound I get from it. (Lot's of competition on the violin as well.)

I have heard that the double reads, like the oboe, are very hard to play, as well as the horn, but I have never tried them. And that brings up another subjective matter - the standard repertoire for the piano and the violin contain some of extremely difficult music. That for the oboe and french horn, somewhat less, on average, I believe.

Comment

I can't play any instrument but I can tell you, from first-hand experience, which one of the above is the most difficult to listen to. My next-door neighbour's son has returned after two years in Australia ..........

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
            I agree, Sorrano. I believe the organ is the most difficult instrument. The piano is difficult because you have so much going on, and it is fairly easy to hit a wrong note. But the organ has even MORE going on, with the pedals and registration, and you don't have that wonderful sustain pedal to help you out! Of course, Peter's point about competition is a good one - tons of competition on the piano, though that does not affect the objective difficulty of mastering the instrument.

On the other hand, the violin (and other string instruments) are also very difficult. But for a different reason; it takes years just to be able to get a good sound out of it! On the piano, at least a total novice can sit down and play a single note, and it will sound good. After playing the violin for 20 years now, I am STILL not satisfied with the sound I get from it. (Lot's of competition on the violin as well.)

I have heard that the double reads, like the oboe, are very hard to play, as well as the horn, but I have never tried them. And that brings up another subjective matter - the standard repertoire for the piano and the violin contain some of extremely difficult music. That for the oboe and french horn, somewhat less, on average, I believe.
            I did consider suggesting the organ, but it doesn't have the problem of touch that the piano has - yes a beginner can make a note sound good on the piano, but I think it was Chopin who said you need an artist to make two notes sound good! Having said that, all instruments are difficult to play to a high standard.
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
              I did consider suggesting the organ, but it doesn't have the problem of touch that the piano has...
              That's not entirely true. Tracker organs are indeed responsive to touch; since the connection is mechanical, you have control over exactly how air is flowing into the pipe. Of course, many organs these days have electrical connections, which removes this aspect of playing.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                I can't play any instrument but I can tell you, from first-hand experience, which one of the above is the most difficult to listen to. My next-door neighbour's son has returned after two years in Australia ..........
                You have my deepest sympathy!!
                'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Joy View Post
                  You have my deepest sympathy!!

Comment

I agree, all instruments are extremely difficult to play well. I started learning piano at 35 and got up to start of 8th grade but backed off because of difficult Beethoven sonatas. It was devastating to realize I had no talent when my mother had her LMusA at 16!! A compensation was getting to 7th grade theory and being able to major in Musicology at university.

The organ is the hardest, I believe. Recently in Notre Dame Paris I heard Phillip Baker play Messiaen's "Apparition de L'Eglise Eternelle" (spelling!) which I hadn't heard before. It overwhelmed me and I could believe that this was a free concert on a Sunday afternoon!! The standard was phenomenal! I don't think Beethoven ever wrote anything for the organ did he?

Comment

Originally posted by Bonn1827 View Post
                      I don't think Beethoven ever wrote anything for the organ did he?
                      A few little bits, but nothing major. There was not much significant organ music written during the Classical era. Too bad - I would have loved to see Beethoven's late style applied to some works for the organ!

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                        A few little bits, but nothing major. There was not much significant organ music written during the Classical era. Too bad - I would have loved to see Beethoven's late style applied to some works for the organ!
                        ...especially when you consider that he played the organ for a time. It reminds me of Bruckner, who was also a great 19th Century organist but left so little music for the organ.

Comment

Is the organ used in the Missa?

Comment

Originally posted by Philip
                            Good question, Phil (almost like talking to myself!). It is certainly notated in the score, but I have to say it is very difficult to detect.
                            I recently followed the score whilst listening to Missa and was surprised to see the organ there. As you say it is difficult to detect, fairly clear at the beginning of the Sanctus though. Any other orchestral works where B uses it?
                            Apologies for straying of the thread topic by the way.
                            I play the piano (sort of) and think it is hard to play well but as others have said not too difficult to play out a simple tune. My daughter learnt the clarinet and I was surprised how hard it is to get a note, but once she (and I) had mastered this, it wasn't too difficult

Comment

Which Missa? Is it scored in both or just one of them?

Comment

Working...
                              X