Beethoven in Movies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael:
    There's a great scene in the "Shawshank Redemption" where Tim Robbins locks himself in the guard's room and plays a record of Mozart over the prison loudspeakers to the assembled multitude outside.
    I always regret that they didn't choose the Prisoner's Chorus from "Fidelio" for that scene - but I suppose that would have been too, too obvious.
    Also, I always fancied the opening of B's Ninth would have made a great start to Kubricks "2001", instead of "Also Sprach Whatever".

Michael
    The use of that music was supposed to complement the image of the sun RISING over the Earth. And the opening of the Ninth goes DOWN. I don't think that would have worked.

Bob

------------------
    I am not a number, I am a free man!
    Some have said I am ripe for the Madhouse. Does that make me Beethoven? No, but it is interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Julie:

I haven't seen "Immortal Beloved" yet, but I heard that in this movie they allude to the fact that perhaps Beethoven was in love with his sister in law? I am not sure of the accuracy of this statement, but like I said, maybe that is why I haven't rented the movie yet, I was afraid it was not accurate in its portrayal of Beethoven. I will definitely rent it if you say it is better than Beethoven lives Upstairs! Is it well documented? And is what I heard about the movie true?
      The film is a total fabrication! The idea that Beethoven was having an affair with his sister in law is simply preposterous and an insult to the great man - were he alive today he would have sued for millions and won! We are still awaiting a definitive Beethoven film.

------------------
      'Man know thyself'
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
        2001 is one of my favourite film, and the use of music plays a big part of it. Paradoxically the waltz in particular does little for me outside the context of the movie. And J Strauss's music in general I find at best lame and at worst ridiculous. Regardless, the King of movie writing is Morricone!
        2001 is one of my top five favourite movies and always has been. I have to agree with you about Strauss and the waltz but in this movie
        I think his music does wonders to get the point across. I think it was a perfect choice. As I must say was Also Sprach Zar....
        in the beginning.

Joy
        'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

I haven't seen "Immortal Beloved" yet, but I heard that in this movie they allude to the fact that perhaps Beethoven was in love with his sister in law? I am not sure of the accuracy of this statement, but like I said, maybe that is why I haven't rented the movie yet, I was afraid it was not accurate in its portrayal of Beethoven. I will definitely rent it if you say it is better than Beethoven lives Upstairs! Is it well documented? And is what I heard about the movie true?

Peter's quite right when he says IB is total fabrication!! There are a few parts were it's
          pretty good, I mostly mean the acting, scenes, Gary Oldman's performance, etc. All in all, Beethoven Lives Upstairs is far more accurate about B's life.
          If you ever rent it, just watch it with an open mind and remember most of it is false documentation and also remember what Hollywood does to 'true' stories and always will I'm afraid.
          'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
            The film is a total fabrication! The idea that Beethoven was having an affair with his sister in law
            Well, to be fair to the film...technically, it doesn't really have B having *an affair* with her, but a tryst prior to her marrying his brother, right? And of course, it portrays Karl as having been LVB's son, not Kaspar's.

is simply preposterous and an insult to the great man - were he alive today he would have sued for millions and won! We are still awaiting a definitive Beethoven film.
            Yes, we are.

I have not yet seen _B Lives Upstairs_, but based on the recommendations here, I certainly will get it on DVD now.

FWIW, I enjoy _Immortal Beloved_ for other reasons. Specifically, I like Oldman's B character, and that Ode to Joy sequence toward the end is quite moving, for me anyway. And some of Schindler's dialogue defending B's character is touching ("We failed him", etc.). But yes, there are numerous errors in the script which distract a great deal. Unfortunately.

Yes, we certainly are still awaiting the definitive LVB film.

Comment

I loved that movie too! Watched it 4 times in one week! The music is beautiful, all of the music for the film is Beethoven's own compositions, just wonderful film to watch and listen and the impersonation of Beethoven seems to be quite accurate according to the records of people that had written about him that knew him well. My favorite part was the mom goes to get the son (a lullaby is playing in the background) and they sneek upstairs and start listening to Beethoven rehearsing and he then lets them in, then notices the mom is crying and she says "you must feel it too, your music" and Beethoven replies "composers don't cry, composers are made of fire!" something like that.. I just loved that part!

I love that part too! The favorite part is when Beethoven plays the moonlight sonata. Oh I love it how he plays the piano...so passionate! *fainting*

Comment

I've seen Immortal Beloved serval times.....I've just don't like it how hollywood dissgracing his biography, but Gary Oldman is cute for a Beethoven look alike. *blushing* I perfer Beethoven lives upstairs than that movie....I've seen it more than you can imagine!

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Michael:
                  [B]There's a great scene in the "Shawshank Redemption" where Tim Robbins locks himself in the guard's room and plays a record of Mozart over the prison loudspeakers to the assembled multitude outside.
                  I always regret that they didn't choose the Prisoner's Chorus from "Fidelio" for that scene - but I suppose that would have been too, too obvious.

It is rather strange that you mention that, We have just studied that Movie (and an awesome one at that) and my friend and I pointed out that (I think) that the opera that was played on the loud speakers was Mozaets' Marriage of Figaro. (I think, and if it is not, then do not take the following statement to account) And if you remember the story line correctly, an average man rises bove himself and his class to become something more than what he has been born to become, almost changing his destiny! And that is why it was banned in certain countrys' for some time until Mozart gave it a boost (after he convinced the Emporer) and that is symbolic to the movie in the respect that, Tim Robbins (Andy Dufresne) has to rise above himself from the prison and set HIS own destiny. Of course that is totally not relevant if it wasn't the Figaro opera.

Beethoven Rocks

oboe_15

Beethoven and all composers Rock!

Comment

Originally posted by Immortal Beloved:
                    I love that part too! The favorite part is when Beethoven plays the moonlight sonata. Oh I love it how he plays the piano...so passionate! *fainting*
                    Does he actually play the HOLE three movements? I ahve to admit and confess my sins and tell you that I have never seen ANY of the movies in question!

Beethoven Rocks!

oboe_15

Beethoven and all composers Rock!

Comment

Originally posted by NickB:
                      Well, to be fair to the film...technically, it doesn't really have B having *an affair* with her, but a tryst prior to her marrying his brother, right? And of course, it portrays Karl as having been LVB's son, not Kaspar's.

That's being fair to the film?!!! I think it proves my point!

------------------
                      'Man know thyself'
                      'Man know thyself'

Comment

I confess, to my chagrin, that Immortal Beloved is my favorite film. The "stretching" (to put it PC) of the truth is a minor thing for me compared to the sumptuous photography, costuming, art direction, and newly-recorded music. I think that by the end of the picture, the truth of the man comes across pretty good. I recommend the movie, but I'll bet, L.A.S., that I'm the only one here who does. Mind you, I'm also the guy who thinks Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves is one of the greatest movies ever made, so take my advice with a grain of salt!

Comment

A lot of people seem prepared to accept the falsification of the facts as though it were of no consequence - this is how the history books get rewritten. Most people who saw IB would have had little prior knowledge of Beethoven beyond the fact that he was deaf - (and even this they get wrong as they assume he was always totally deaf!) They come away with the impression that he was an adulterous and immoral man - this cannot be acceptable.

------------------
                          'Man know thyself'
                          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by oboe_15:
                            [It is rather strange that you mention that, We have just studied that Movie (and an awesome one at that) and my friend and I pointed out that (I think) that the opera that was played on the loud speakers was Mozaets' Marriage of Figaro. (I think, and if it is not, then do not take the following statement to account) And if you remember the story line correctly, an average man rises bove himself and his class to become something more than what he has been born to become, almost changing his destiny! And that is why it was banned in certain countrys' for some time until Mozart gave it a boost (after he convinced the Emporer) and that is symbolic to the movie in the respect that, Tim Robbins (Andy Dufresne) has to rise above himself from the prison and set HIS own destiny. Of course that is totally not relevant if it wasn't the Figaro opera.

Beethoven Rocks

oboe_15

[/B]
                            I didn't know what the piece was, except that it was by Mozart. If you are right, then it does explain why they picked it for that scene.

Michael

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by oboe_15:
                              [b]
                              Originally posted by Michael:
                              There's a great scene in the "Shawshank Redemption" where Tim Robbins locks himself in the guard's room and plays a record of Mozart over the prison loudspeakers to the assembled multitude outside.

It is rather strange that you mention that, We have just studied that Movie (and an awesome one at that) and my friend and I pointed out that (I think) that the opera that was played on the loud speakers was Mozaets' Marriage of Figaro. (I think, and if it is not, then do not take the following statement to account) And if you remember the story line correctly, an average man rises bove himself and his class to become something more than what he has been born to become, almost changing his destiny! And that is why it was banned in certain countrys' for some time until Mozart gave it a boost (after he convinced the Emporer) and that is symbolic to the movie in the respect that, Tim Robbins (Andy Dufresne) has to rise above himself from the prison and set HIS own destiny. Of course that is totally not relevant if it wasn't the Figaro opera.

Beethoven Rocks

oboe_15

It is the Marriage of Figaro. Or at least that's what the record's cover said.

Bob

------------------
                              I am not a number, I am a free man!
                              Some have said I am ripe for the Madhouse. Does that make me Beethoven? No, but it is interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by oboe_15:
                                Does he actually play the HOLE three movements? I ahve to admit and confess my sins and tell you that I have never seen ANY of the movies in question!

Beethoven Rocks!

oboe_15

Well Obe_15...in the movie beethoven played just the first movement.

Comment

Working...
                                X