Beethoven in Movies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Serge:
    [B]I confess, to my chagrin, that Immortal Beloved is my favorite film. The "stretching" (to put it PC) of the truth is a minor thing for me compared to the sumptuous photography, costuming, art direction, and newly-recorded music. I think that by the end of the picture, the truth of the man comes across pretty good. I recommend the movie, but I'll bet, L.A.S., that I'm the only one here who does. B]
    I think it was you, Serge, who praised the DVD version of "Immortal B". If so, does it contain a commentary by Bernard Rose, author and director? I would be interested to know if he points out the various discrepancies between fact and fiction as they come up.
    If it did contain this information - and any extras (or easter eggs) regarding Beethoven, I would consider buying it. But it is as yet available only as a Region One disc - and I can't import it as my player is strictly Region Two.

Michael

Comment

The dvd contains director commentary, which I found pretty insightful-- the dir. tries to justify the way he did things and it works for me. There is also a couple of featurettes about the production but nothing specifically about Beethoven himself, sadly. As far as DVDs go, technically speaking, this one is is a good deal. Anamorphic widescreen only.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob the Composer:
        I was making light of the fact that that was my 50th post.

Bob

Congratulations, Bob!!!

Joy
        'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by oboe_15:
          Does he actually play the HOLE three movements? I ahve to admit and confess my sins and tell you that I have never seen ANY of the movies in question!

Beethoven Rocks!

oboe_15

No, they don't play the 3 mm and really only a part of the first. The movie is less than an hour long so all the songs they play (and there are plenty) are only in part. This is really to give the viewer a short introductory into B's life and music. It is very good though as it is mostly accurate.

Joy

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
            A lot of people seem prepared to accept the falsification of the facts as though it were of no consequence - this is how the history books get rewritten. Most people who saw IB would have had little prior knowledge of Beethoven beyond the fact that he was deaf - (and even this they get wrong as they assume he was always totally deaf!) They come away with the impression that he was an adulterous and immoral man - this cannot be acceptable.
            True! Very true!!

Joy

Comment

hey imortal beloved
              could you please email me at jfienen25@yahoo.com. I want to talk to you sometime.
              i would half to agree with everyone on this topic. My favorite second movie would half to be imortal beloved.

Comment

Can anyone say to me where I could find the movie "Beethoven lives utpstairs" ???

And, Serge, you are not the only one who love "Immortal beloved". For the same reasons of you I find this film really moving, despite the story about Johanna.
                If it is not true, it is well invented !

Claudie
                Claudie

Comment

Originally posted by Claudie MICAULT:
                  Can anyone say to me where I could find the movie "Beethoven lives utpstairs" ???

And, Serge, you are not the only one who love "Immortal beloved". For the same reasons of you I find this film really moving, despite the story about Johanna.
                  If it is not true, it is well invented !

Claudie
                  the best price on the movie Beethoven lives upstairs you could find on Ebay.

Comment

Try your local library. That's where I found
                    the movie.

Comment

hey claudie
                      you can find on ebay but also I think you can find it at amazon.com.

------------------

Comment

In a recent interview, Oldman -candidate at the Oscars, at last - was asked which character he would have liked to be named for in his, and he (unexpectedly, to me) quoted Beethoven. I'm glad he appreciated it.Don't know, sometimes I thought he starred in that movie for less noble reasons, even if he did his best. bye

Comment

Gadzooks! This thread has come back from the "Twilight Zone". I hardly recognise myself in it, I look so young!
                          That's interesting about Gary Oldman, Terry. I always thought he looked down on "Immortal Beloved" and certainly he deserved better recognition for the part (whatever about the movie itself).
                          I certainly don't know how he got nominated for the present film in which he plays John Le Carre's George Smiley as an automaton. Mind you, there is no other way to portray this character - even Alec Guinness sleep-walked through the part in the television version.

Comment

Has anyone seen COPYING BEETHOVEN? Ed Harris is awesome as LVB. It's basically about LVB's life during his composing of the 9th Symphony and the Grosse Fuge. Tears came to my eyes many times throughout the film. Experiencing the premiere of both works was especially rewarding.

Comment

Originally posted by Ludwign3bs View Post
                              Has anyone seen COPYING BEETHOVEN? Ed Harris is awesome as LVB. It's basically about LVB's life during his composing of the 9th Symphony and the Grosse Fuge. Tears came to my eyes many times throughout the film. Experiencing the premiere of both works was especially rewarding.
                              Ridiculous story line, but nevertheless an enjoyable movie.

Comment

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
                                Ridiculous story line, but nevertheless an enjoyable movie.
                                Exactly. At least his copyist was easy on the eye.

Comment

Working...
                                X