Carl Khym

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carl Khym

My great-grandfather had a cousin named Carl Khym who was born in Mannheim in the 1770s, but lived most of his adult life in Vienna.

I think he may be the oboist Carl Khym, often described as a Czech, who did the arrangements of many of Beethoven's works.

Does anyone know of this Carl Khym?

Are you sure it was your great-grandfather's cousin? You'd have to go back more generations than that to arrive in the 1770s. Interesting post and hopefully someone will have some information on this man.
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Terrence J. Boyle View Post
      Does anyone know of this Carl Khym?
      As name I actually do: he was the arranger of some of Beethoven's chamber works.

He arranged the piano trio in G opus 1 no.2, the clarinet trio opus 11 (1810), the wind quintet/piano quartet opus 16 (1813) as well as the Horn sonata opus 17 (1813) for string quintet.

Recordings of op.1/2, 11 and 17 can be found on Naxos 8.553827.

Note that the opus 1/2 arrangement is not listed in the Kinsky-Halm.

Carl Khym a.o. prepared a piano-reduction of a number of the arias from Ditters von Dittersdorf's Singspiel Das rote Käppchen, of which one (Es war einmal ein alter Mann) served as theme for Beethoven's piano variations WoO 66.

A duo for violin and viola opus 10 by Karl Khym is available here: http://www.sheetmusicarchive.net/sin...mposer_id=1161
      Last edited by Roehre; 12-18-2009, 11:04 AM. Reason: link added

Comment

I am not home so I am away from my sources. As I can remember off the top of my head, I have a Naxos CD featuring 3 Beethoven works that Carl Khym arranged for string quintets. IIRC, Khym wrote very little of his own and was more interested in doing arangements for which here was a huge demand.
        "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

Beethoven's arranger "Carl Khym"

I think the "Carl Khym", the Vienese arranger for several of Beethoven's works,
          and often described as a Czech, was an older brother
          of my grandfather's great-grandfather, Karl Josef Khÿm (1773-1859).

An ancestor of mine, the Mannheim magistrate,
          Karl Fanz Xavier Khÿm, b. ca. 1840 - d. 1795),
          had two sons,
          1) Karl Josef Khÿm (b. 1773 - d. 17 May 1859), who moved to Vienna,
          and
          2) Anton Maria Khÿm (1776 - d. ca. 1865), who moved to Dessau,

I think that that older son, Karl Josef Khÿm, was the oboist "Carl Khym"
          who was the arranger for several of Beethoven's works and
          often (wrongly, I think) described as a Czech.

The Khym family in Vienna was very musical.
          Karl Josef's daughter Wilhelmina married Dr. Josef Standthartner,
          the head of the Vienna State Opera and the benefactor of Richard Wagner,
          and his grandson Gustav Schoënaich, was a famous Vienna music critic

Karl Josef's brother, Anton Maria Khym,
          was the grandfather of my mother's grandfather, Gustav Adolf Khym, 1843 - 1905.

I would like to learn more of this "Carl Khym"

Comment

How lovely to have such a heritage Terence! Keep us posted.
            Ludwig van Beethoven
            Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
            Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Comment

Working...
            X