Death of H C Robbins Landon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Death of H C Robbins Landon

News item. More famous for his Haydn research, he has also written books about Mozart and Beethoven.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...wSI1AD9C6NFHO2

Thanks for that Michael - a really nice man I thought with a real passion and an ability to convey it in his writings and tv appearances - I recall one on Mozart for the 1991 bicentenary.
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Yes, I've seen a few of his broadcasts. He was a renowned Haydn expert and he reacted very graciously when he was almost hoodwinked (along with other experts) a few years back. (See this news item):

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...s-1470014.html

Gad! Was it sixteen years ago! I can't remember the outcome of all this.
      Last edited by Michael; 11-26-2009, 06:24 PM.

Comment

Very, very sad news.

Not only Haydn and Mozart benefitted from HCRL's erudite scholarship.

By chance it was his magnificent and large format Beethoven volume (for the Beethoven bicentennial 1970, in 1975 reprinted in a much smaller paperback, less illustrated, almost the same texts) through which I came across his name for the first time.
        Only after that I discovered through the Decca Dorati Haydn symphonies series what his real passion was (though the Mozart Golden Years and 1791 books are great works too).

A great music historian has passed away.
        RIP

Comment

Sad news indeed. I remember buying his book Mozart:The Golden Years back when it was first released in 1989. I also have copies of 3 other books by him, 1791: Mozart's Last Year (1988), Mozart and the Masons (1982) and Beethoven (1970). He will be missed...
          "God knows why it is that my pianoforte music always makes the worst impression on me, especially when it is played badly." -Beethoven 1804.

Comment

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
            Very, very sad news.

By chance it was his magnificent and large format Beethoven volume (for the Beethoven bicentennial 1970, in 1975 reprinted in a much smaller paperback, less illustrated, almost the same texts) through which I came across his name for the first time.

RIP
            Yes, I bought the smaller paperback reprint which came out in 1974. Unfortunately, it is coming apart at the seams today. (Just like me, in fact )

Comment

Working...
            X