Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last night I was able to spend a little time listening: Stravinsky's The Fairy's Kiss (I don't think I spelled that right). I'll be darned if the last two sections did not make me think of Bruckner, particularly the 3rd movement of his 9th Symphony!

Comment

Today I am listening to the Haydn Lieder. I had never heard any of these pieces before, nor did I particuarly think of the Haydn as a composer of lieder, but these are really first-rate. And this recording is by Elly Ameling and Jorg Demus - what more could you ask?

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
        Today I am listening to the Haydn Lieder. I had never heard any of these pieces before, nor did I particuarly think of the Haydn as a composer of lieder, but these are really first-rate. And this recording is my Elly Ameling and Jorg Demus - what more could you ask?
        Do you know the Scena di Berenice? If not you will be impressed by this outstanding Haydn rarity!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuGo6...eature=related
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaWdHfpJwbw
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Thanks for that - it was wonderful, and certainly new to me!

Comment

First Post

Hey Y'all....

For my first post, I probably should be claiming something Beethoven-ish, however in the interest of truth, I am listening to Schubert's Great C major Symphony. (George Szell, Cleavland) One of my all time favorite pieces of music that I have often said is good for any and all occasions (well... that may be overstating it a bit, but only a little).

With Beethoven's symphonies, I can never listen to them while doing something else, whatever I seem to be doing always seems to grind to a halt as I end up focusing all my attention on the music. Schubert, while certainly not lacking in commensurate intensity and complexity, lets me at least force myself into some additional activity as intended.

(okay.... that was flip, inaccurate and not really all that meaningful of a comment.... but I am sure y'all have some idea of what I mean... or maybe not... actually, I tend to get lost in the Great C Major as well.... then again, if you have to get lost, it's a terrific place in which to be adrift )

---diogenesNY
            Last edited by diogenesNY; 10-31-2009, 03:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by diogenesNY View Post
              Hey Y'all....

For my first post, I probably should be claiming something Beethoven-ish, however in the interest of truth, I am listening to Schubert's Great C major Symphony. (George Szell, Cleavland) One of my all time favorite pieces of music that I have often said is good for any and all occasions (well... that may be overstating it a bit, but only a little).

With Beethoven's symphonies, I can never listen to them while doing something else, whatever I seem to be doing always seems to grind to a halt as I end up focusing all my attention on the music. Schubert, while certainly not lacking in commensurate intensity and complexity, lets me at least force myself into some additional activity as intended.

(okay.... that was flip, inaccurate and not really all that meaningful of a comment.... but I am sure y'all have some idea of what I mean... or maybe not... actually, I tend to get lost in the Great C Major as well.... then again, if you have to get lost, it's a terrific place in which to be adrift )

---diogenesNY
              Welcome diogenesNY - Well you'll see from these 'what are you listening to' threads that we're a pretty diversified bunch with varied tastes, certainly not confined to Beethoven though he of course remains the centre of our musical universe! The Schubert is indeed a wonderful piece and what a remarkable history - written by a man in his 20s, unperformed and left on the shelf and almost confined to oblivion were it not for that fortunate visit by Schumann.
              'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by diogenesNY View Post
                I am listening to Schubert's Great C major Symphony. (George Szell, Cleavland) One of my all time favorite pieces of music that I have often said is good for any and all occasions (well... that may be overstating it a bit, but only a little).
                I believe Schubert quotes Beethoven's 9th in the Great C Major...

All the best,
                Zevy

Comment

Today my PBS station ran Michael Tilson Thomas explaining and playing Berlioz' Symphonie Fantastique. He did a great job, as always. His series is called "Keeping Score." It pops up at odd times - I never know when it will be on next, but it's always worth watching.

Comment

Originally posted by susanwen View Post
                    Today my PBS station ran Michael Tilson Thomas explaining and playing Berlioz' Symphonie Fantastique. He did a great job, as always. His series is called "Keeping Score." It pops up at odd times - I never know when it will be on next, but it's always worth watching.
                    Thanks for that Susanwen - there are clips from this series available on Youtube.
                    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Listening to Brahms's excellent violin sonatas.
                      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by susanwen View Post
                        It pops up at odd times - I never know when it will be on next, but it's always worth watching.
                        I know exactly what you are saying. The classical performances come here and there and I just hope that I will be able to catch one.
                        - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Listening to Bach's sonatas for viola da gamba and harpsichord, with Jonathan Manson and Trevor Pinnock. Good way to start the week!

Comment

Just had a mammoth listening session: three Beethoven piano sonatas at full blast which drove everybody else in the house to distraction. I started off with Ashkenazy's Appassionata and Waldstein and continued with Serkin's Hammerklavier.
                            I think I'll leave it at that for today.

Comment

Originally posted by Zevy View Post
                              I believe Schubert quotes Beethoven's 9th in the Great C Major...
                              And the basis for Schubert's quoting is Beethoven 9 iv bars 164-165, which are nearly literally quoted in Schubert 9 i bars 59-60.
                              Note that Beethoven 9 iv bars 94-95 are rhytmically identical to the very two opening bars of Schubert 9 i.

There are other allusions too, as S 9 iv 397-401 shows, where oboe (397-398) and oboe + clarinet (399 ff) quote Gö-tter -funken aus -- E.

would be a nice doctoral thesis i think

Comment

I'm a bit Appassionata-obsessed at the moment and today I played Friedrich Gulda's version. He never seems to be mentioned in the same breath as Brendel, Barenboim, et al. but his technique is stunning. I believe he was also a respected jazz pianist. He takes Opus 57 at an alarming speed with apparently the greatest of ease.
                                Tomorrow, I think I will dig out Gilel's version where the opening movement is played quite slowly.

Comment

Working...
                                X