X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I forgot the icon. "We are smiling".

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
      Although it is your birthday, I feel I must point out that "to degenerate" is an intransitive verb. Id est, it needs to be followed by a preposition. Still, I could be wrong.
      I don't understand you. Read my post again!

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        I don't understand you. Read my post again!
        You are quite right. Though you have edited your post in the meantime. In your original post you treated the verb transitively. A sin almost equal to parallel fifths.
        Last edited by Quijote; 01-26-2010, 12:45 AM.

Comment

You are quite right. Must wear my glasses next time. Age, you see.
          Maybe you do need glasses, Philip. Have you read every word of my post and checked the time of editing?

Comment

This is getting to be a regular chatroom! Our last two messages crossed. I did indeed treat the verb transitively and I apologise profusely. My wife says I do it all the time.

Comment

Others wouldn't notice. But then again, I know everything, don't I?

Comment

Others wouldn't notice. But then again, I know everything, don't I?
                How would I know? Do you think I know everything?

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                  Thanks again. Did you listen before I mentioned them?
                  I did - a couple of recent acquisitions to complete the Beethoven collection. I was missing Op. 64, because it's not really accepted as a true arrangement of Beethoven, and so it isn't that common; but I bought a Naxos CD that included it. I also bought a CD with the harp version of Woo 64. Both versions are very fine, though hardly must-haves if you already have the standard versions of those pieces and are not an insane completest like me.

Comment

Spun today:

Maxwell Davies: Sinfonia (1962)
                    Webern: Symphony opus 28
                    Holloway: Gilded Variations opus 86 (1992/'97)

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                      I was missing Op. 64, because it's not really accepted as a true arrangement of Beethoven, and so it isn't that common; but I bought a Naxos CD that included it. .
                      How is that performance, Chris?
                      The one I've got on Finlandia is IMO below par, so I am looking for an alternative.

Comment

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
                        How is that performance, Chris?
                        The one I've got on Finlandia is IMO below par, so I am looking for an alternative.
                        Yes, it's on Naxos, played by Maria Kliegel as part of her complete set of the Beethoven works for cello and piano; Op. 64 is on an individual disc with the third cello sonata. It's good. I don't rank it with Rostropovich's recordings (my favorites), but it's good. And for 8 dollars, all the better.

Comment

Today's menu:

'Did a lot of driving, so:

Mozart: 6 Quartets dedicated to Haydn
                          Beethoven: String Quintet Op.29
                          Mozart: Violin Sonata in E minor (K. 304, my favorite)
                          Playing now: Mozart: Sinfonia Concertante in Eb (K.364)
                          Zevy

Comment

Mozart: Sinfonie concertanti KV364/320d (violin/viola) and KV320e (violin/viola/'cello, in a completion by Schumacher)

Milhaud: Le Boeuf sur le Toit

Webern: Cantates opp.29 and 31

Adès: Tevot

Comment

Finishing up yesterday's Mozart birthday celebration this morning by listening to his arrangement of Handel's Acis and Galatea. Very nice - this was the last Handel arrangement by Mozart I had to find, and it was indeed a good find!

Comment

Today:

Stravinsky: Symphonies for Winds (both the original and revised versions), Pianoconcerto, Octet

Poulenc: Aubade

Marcel Wengler: Symphony no.2 (Sinfonia in uno Movimento) (1982)

Johny Fritz: Mouvements pour cordes et percussion (1980)

Comment

Working...
                                X