X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are you listening to now?

Let's start a new thread, shall we? I've been listening to some of Mozart's
    Piano Sonatas on this glorious sunny Monday, his sonata No. 16 in C major and Piano Sonata No. 11 in A major for starters.
    'Truth and beauty joined'

The night was a success. The orchestra did an outstanding job. It was a wonderful night.

We first ate food at this pretty fancy southern style restaurant, which was very good.

Then we went to see the orchestra. The theater was quite small and provides for a very comfortable and cozy atmosphere, as always. The conductor gives a speach before each piece, which I enjoy. I wonder what Beethoven piece they will play next year. I would like to hear The Egmont. Perhaps, I will write to the orchestra seeing what the director is thinking and if he doesn't plan on a symphony, then I will suggest The Egmont, with narration and soprano.

One thing I did not like was that there were around three rows in the small theater that were not full. I do not like this because it is just another sign of where humanities heads are at. They will pack out 80,000 seat concerts of pop, rock, rap, country, etc.- yet, when Beethoven is played the majority goes running!

In your terms Philip:

After the pot, a lot of fags, a few glasses of wine, and watching a professional orchestra- it was quite an enjoyable evening, lol!
    Last edited by Preston; 10-20-2009, 04:00 AM.
    - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Glad to hear that you enjoyed your concert. Our conductor also gives a little history lesson, etc. on the pieces they are to perform which I really enjoy and find very interesting. There will be a Beethoven festival here in April.
      'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Thank you Joy.
        There will be a Beethoven festival here in April.
        Sounds great!

Comment

Beethoven:
          "Germania" (W.o.O 94)

A very fine short piece for chorus, bass, and orchestra. It ia a shame that it is not performed more often.
          Thank you for bringing this piece to my attention Hofrat.

Comment

Listening to The Old Castle from Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition orchestrated by Ravel.

To my mind this music is great. It is so deep and heavy, so terribly sad in places, yet, it affects me deeply?

Am I wrong in saying that it very slightly resembles a little bit of a march? The reason I ask is because to me, in certain places, the strings play this pulsing chord or interval (don't know which one) over and over- Dum Du Dum Du Dum Du Dum, etc. The other instruments take part in this occasionaly.

The saxophone seems to me to be an interesting choice for the main theme, well I think it is the main theme? Seeing as it is not used in the orchestra too often. Then again I am no Ravel!

Also, are there any fans of Mussorgsky on this forum?

Comment

Originally posted by Joy View Post
              There will be a Beethoven festival here in April.
              Joy, how will the festival take place? What will they be playing? Thanks.

Comment

Listening to Hadyn's "The Seven Last Words of our Savior on the Cross" - the original, orchestral version.

Comment

Treating myself to two of my favourite Beethoven recordings: String Quartet No. 1 in F major played by the Quartetto Italiano and the second Violin Sonata with Perlman and Ashkenazy.
                  In both those cases I would settle for the complete set.

Comment

I, also, like Il Vecchio Castilo (sorry if I misspelled that; I get Italian and Spanish mixed up sometimes) and other music of Mussorgsky. Boris Godonov is one of my favorites of his.

Comment

Glad to hear it Sorrano. Now that I think about, I believe we had this discussion a long time ago, about Mussorgsky, and, Boris Godunov, .

Comment

Listening to the lute works of Bach this morning.

Comment

Rravel's String quartet - just love that pizzicato 2nd movt. Listening also to Perlmutter playing Ravel.
                          'Man know thyself'

Comment

John Eliot Gardiner/Monteverdi Choir/English Baroque Soloists performing the Bach motets today.

Comment

Amadeus Quartet box of Complete Beethoven Quartets

I just came back from a round trip by car to Toronto, Canada. Over 1,100 miles by car was made easier by listening to the complete quartets. The scherzos (scherzi?) were the best when it came to keeping awake...

All the best,
                              Zevy

Comment

Working...
                              X