Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

32 Piano Sonataas

I have no doubt this has been discussed before but I would welcome a resume

The supreme 32 Piano Sonatas - I need to purchase and am puzzling for the definitive account I already have Artur Schnabel which will always be a favourite but the mono sound feels restrictive Many say Paul Lewis Any recommendations?
    Love from London

Alfred Brendel's most recent set on Phillips.

Comment

I don't have the complete Brendel, but those I do have are superb, especially the last 5 sonatas. Wilhelm Kempff is another good bet, but you're up against the mono problem as his first set is considered finer than the later stereo set.
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

I have the 32 sonatas on period fortepianos performed by Bilsen and others.
        "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

Beware of the Adreas Schiff set of the 32 sonatas. He recorded them with Beethoven's Broadwood fortepiano before the instrument was overhauled. You can hear the Broadwood groan. Tan, on the other hand, recorded with the Broadwood after the overhaul. What a difference! The Broadwood sings!

So, check the date of recording before you buy the Schiff. If it is before 1991 (the year of the restoration of the Broadwood), do not buy it. If it is after 1991, it is safe to purchase.

The Bilsen series is performed on 5 or 6 different fortepianos (in an attempt to use a forte close to what Beethoven used in that period), none of which on the Beethoven Broadwood. So, the problem of "groaning" does not exist.

Comment

Like I've done before I'll put in my two cents worth with Bernard Roberts performing the 32 and you can't go wrong with Brendel.
            Last edited by Joy; 10-19-2009, 11:41 PM. Reason: sp
            'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Many thanks to all for the replies but has anyone heard the Paul Lewis set? New, admittedly but the critical reviews are soaring
              Love from London

Comment

JPC in Germany is offering all 32 sonatas, the 3 "Elector" sonatas (W.o.O 47), and Andante Favori performed by Malcolm Bilson in a 10-CD set for 199.99 Euro.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony John Hearne View Post
                  Many thanks to all for the replies but has anyone heard the Paul Lewis set? New, admittedly but the critical reviews are soaring
                  I heard him live playing the last 3 sonatas. His performance was assured but lacking the depth and transcendental quality of Brendel's account of the late sonatas. Although a complete set is convenient and in Schnabel's case essential (for musical as well as historical value), I don't think it is the best option and I personally wouldn't go with Lewis as a definitive set.
                  'Man know thyself'

Comment

Wow, what a typographical error. The 10-CD set of the 32 sonatas of Beethoven is offered for 119.99 Euros, not 199.99 Euros. I repeat, the Bilson set of the 32 costs 119.99 Euros at JPC.

Comment

Originally posted by Philip
                      I don't think there is a definitive set, to be frank; they each have their merits.
                      I don't think there is a single definitive set, either. But Claude Frank, to be frank, recorded the set in 1971, & both the artistry & the sonic field are excellent and memorable on the 10-CD reissue (on the Music & Arts label).

Claude Frank, who studied with Schnabel extensively, is in my opinion one of the supreme technicians of the piano of the 20th century, & very oddly little known. His interpretive artistry is mature & totally assured. From time to time, you may disagree with his conception, but you cannot but be awestruck by his execution.

Ladies & gentlemen, Maestro Frank.

Comment

Have also been listening to Idel Biret's recordings (not sure if complete or not) Lovely, lovely interpretation (also well worth listening to her cover of the Saint Saens 2nd Piano Concerto - warmth is the word that springs to my sozzled mind)

LVB's number 4 is magnificently captured by Arturo Benedetti Michelangeli on Deutsche Grammophon but I am not sure if he has recorded the whole 32?
                        Love from London

Comment

Like Joy, I have the Bernard Roberts set. I have some vinyls by Wilhelm Kempff which are sublime. I have a selection from Barenboim which to be honest I don't like, especially his interpretation of the Appassionata
                          Last edited by Phil Leeds; 10-28-2009, 05:37 PM.

Comment

I have the later Kempff set, but I have a lot of issues with it; some of the sonatas appear to be recorded with the idea of getting through it to get to the next one.

Comment

while i haven`t heard paul lewis`s set in it`s entirety, from what i have listened to one could do alot worse i.e. kempff`s opus 2 #3 leaves alot to be desired, and richter, while he plays with much fire also has problems with his timing and often just getting the notes right. if could recommend anything to anyone wholeheartedly it would be murray perahia`s opus 2. his appassionta is also top shelf material, although the accompaning opus 10, #3 is`nt nearly what one would expect out of perahia. i don`t know if stefan vladar has recorded the entire cycle, but if he does than i would predict his would be the best. richard goode is often not-very-good in my opinion, which leaves me wondering what prompted all those positive reviews in the first place. and you can also forget about pollini, his opus 10 stinks. it`s really difficult even getting through one listening. i bet perahia finally does the entire cycle with hopefully a new opus 10, #3. and when he does that will be the new "gold standard", both in technique as well as poetic expression. right now, i`m tempted to buy lewis`s set, which i believe is about the best we have right now.
                              Last edited by bill rohr; 11-20-2009, 04:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X