Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

the masters of classical music are quite complex...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the masters of classical music are quite complex...

I have been looking little into music theory. I went to one site where I learned the scale for the Dorian mode, which I know Beethoven uses in the Missa Solemnis.

After looking at the Dorian scale, I started thinking and realizing, again, how little I know about classical music. I have known for a while there is so much more to classical than just listening, yet after looking at the Dorian scale I started thinking about many different things.

How would you write for the Dorian scale? I mean it is not a catchy scale at all. You would need some unbelievable understanding of the scale- how does it work, what are the chords that can be derived from it, how can the chords work with each other, what the Dorian scale represents, etc.

And then you think of all the sounds that the instruments can make, . For instance, imagine understanding what each individual instrument can do to its fullest extent! When to use the violin, or should you use a cello, or flute, etc.!

I have always had trouble hearing all of the sounds in a full orchestra. It seems for me to be an impossibility for now. I could not imagine hearing all of this glorious music that has been written and putting it all together.

I will never give up on trying to have a higher understanding of classical music. The reason being is because it is, to my mind, the greatest and most spiritual music ever written. I mean who can compare with the spirituality of Beethoven, Bach, Handel, the masters of the Renaissance, etc.

It is just that a lot of classical is unimaginably complex. Such sublime music. Some of it so deeply spiritual.

There is so much to learn about all of this. I really need a far better to musical ear, and a thorough understanding of music theory- so that I can clearly understand these scales, chord patterns, etc.

I imagine a composer such as Beethoven, had such an unimaginable knowledge for music when compared with so many today. Not only that he had an unimaginable knowledge, but, he was also a deeply spiritual man. Is music as his, even able to be comprehended by the average musical mind?

You really have to understand this music on such a deeper level.
    - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Well, it certainly is complex, but really, it is like anything else - it requires study and practice. When these masters were first leaning to compose, they listened to ensembles play, played in ensembles, and copied out the compositions of others. And if you want to learn to do the same thing, that's what you should do. Did you buy your virtual orchestra software? Then take something, maybe just a single movement of a piece you like, and put it in there. As you are re-creating it you will get to know and understand things about the individual parts. Play it back with some of the parts muted. Isolate just one part.

It's like learning to play a Bach organ fugue or something - learn it one voice a time. This makes practicing it easier, yes, but beyond the mechanics, it also helps you understand each part in itself and then how it relates to the other parts.

You don't have to have the talent of Beethoven to understand music, you just have to study and practice!

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
      Well, it certainly is complex, but really, it is like anything else - it requires study and practice. When these masters were first leaning to compose, they listened to ensembles play, played in ensembles, and copied out the compositions of others. And if you want to learn to do the same thing, that's what you should do. Did you buy your virtual orchestra software? Then take something, maybe just a single movement of a piece you like, and put it in there. As you are re-creating it you will get to know and understand things about the individual parts. Play it back with some of the parts muted. Isolate just one part.

It's like learning to play a Bach organ fugue or something - learn it one voice a time. This makes practicing it easier, yes, but beyond the mechanics, it also helps you understand each part in itself and then how it relates to the other parts.

You don't have to have the talent of Beethoven to understand music, you just have to study and practice!
      Thank you for your reply Chris it is much appreciated. It would seem an impossibility to learn how it all works to me. I appreciate your advice, it is well taken. Until I am dead I will keep working towards achieving a higher understanding. I have no greater desire than to learn more about this sacred music!

I am just unimaginably amazed how great this music is!
      - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

I quite like the various modes. Each lends a unique twist, perhaps to our modern ears, to the more traditional scales. The scale itself may not seem catchy, but if you work with it for a bit you can come up with some interesting things.

Comment

Have you guys watched this Robert Kapilow lecture on the Heiliger Dankgesang of Op. 132?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4c-R544gF8s

He describes the old church mode Beethoven employed here.

Comment

Excellent, Chris. I have filled whole CDs with this guy. You either love or hate him but his knowledge is indisputable and his enthusiasm is infectious.

Comment

Working...
            X