Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

question about FortePiano...

Wikipedia:
    The range of the fortepiano was about four octaves at the time of its invention and gradually increased. Mozart (1756–1791) wrote his piano music for instruments of about five octaves. The piano works of Beethoven (1770–1827) reflect a gradually expanding range; his last piano compositions are for an instrument of about six octaves. (The range of most modern pianos, attained in the 19th century, is 7⅓ octaves.)
    According to this Beethoven never would have never seen a 7+ octave piano. What I am wondering did scholars change his music to suit the modern pianos?

Thanks for any help.
    - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

No and nor did Beethoven revise his earlier sonatas to take account of the great changes to the instrument during his lifetime.
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Thank you Peter. Interesting that Beethoven did not change the early sonatas. Perhaps, he felt they would work with the later pianos?
      - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Originally posted by Preston View Post
        Thank you Peter. Interesting that Beethoven did not change the early sonatas. Perhaps, he felt they would work with the later pianos?
        Don't forget that not even Beethoven's last piano works were written for the piano we know today. The 'modern' piano with its iron frame didn't properly emerge until the 1850s. There is a page about Beethoven's pianos on my site - www.kingsbarn.freeserve.co.uk/bpianos.html
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Pardon if I am hijacking the thread; it is not my intention, but to rather broaden the scope in regards to the earlier piano (fortepiano).

When one regards the tempi that Beethoven assigned to his works, can one play as effectively on an older piano as opposed to a modern piano? Pedaling, obviously will have to be different, but how does tempo alter a performance?

Comment

top 100 in Melbourne Australia; LvB scoops the pool, almost...

Hello,

It’s been a long time since I have visited…. Kind of forgotten things over the years… I have tried to find how to start a new post but could not so I have had to post a reply mentioning what I wanted to tell you all about. Which is about a poll of listeners’ favorite 100 symphonies. You can see the story here:

http://www.abc.net.au/classic/classic100/

They have been playing symphonies all week.

Right now, as I type I am listening to a live concert with one movement from each of the top 5 – 2 and after the interval they are playing the entire symphony that was voted Number 1.

I was sure that the Choral would have been #1 but apparently not. It’s #2. I am surprised and cannot imagine what #1 will be. As far as I can understand from the 100 rankings so far http://www.abc.net.au/classic/classi...phony/list.htm , they have 5 of Beethoven’s symphonies in the top 10 : a good result in anyone’s book.

Tomorrow, they are apparently going to play full versions of all the top 5 symphonies on the radio tomorrow but as with all the symphonies, you can hear the whole thing tomorrow via online streaming.

Sorry I didn’t tell you about this earlier. If you had been able to “mass- email” all members, I am sure quite a few of them would have been able to hear a huge amount of excellent performances during the past week.

By the time you get this, you will be able to click on to the link above and find out who got to the top spot… Not our Lord and Master, alas 

Anyway, all the best, Alex.

Comment

Wow, DVORAK? Lame.

Comment

top 100?

Lame, you say? Not strong enough an expression. Corrupt is the word I would use. I was astounded to hear the result! Of Dvorak's nine symphonies? Rated 1, 32, 61, and 96 in this countdown. Four out of nine. Of Beethoven's nine? Rated 2, 3, 5, 6, 8, 37, 60 and 63. Eight out of nine.

Methinks there is something rotten in the state of the ABC ( our national government broadcaster) : something to do with the cost of engaging soloists and choir for B's last; and to save large amounts of money and trouble, the true result of the poll was sabotaged.

I cannot find the actual voting figures (someone must know) for each of the top 100 but I will bet my life that for every person on this planet who knows and loves the Dvorak, there will be five or more who love and know the Choral.

These poll results must surely be corrupted, but who am I, a mere peasant, to know...

Comment

Of course, Philip, you are quite right. I was originally contacting the site to say how sorry I was that I didn't think of you earlier so that you could have listened online, if you had wished to do so, not only to the Beethovens but also the Mahlers, the Sibelius', the Bruckners and whatever else might have appealed to members of this site. It is not so often that you have 100 symphonies played consecutively.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexOv View Post
                    It is not so often that you have 100 symphonies played consecutively.
                    Sounds like a work by John Cage!
                    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Philip
                      I am a peasant , too; this you all know. I know this may be a redundant question, but do we really care about classical music polls?
                      Hopefully not. Nothing wrong in being a peasant Philip so long as you are not the revolting type! Anyway I'm off for some merry-making before a storm!
                      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                        Sounds like a work by John Cage!
                        That wouldn't have been consecutively; that would have been simultaneously!

Comment

John Cage indeed!! But in using the word "consecutively", I have misled you somewhat. They did have 5 minute news bulletins several times a day and regular programs that continued in their spots. And between symphonies, there was learned discussion about the next work to be played or the previous one, and replaying of messages/comments etc left on their message board, answering machine, twitter and emails. And to fill in the space between one symphony finishing and the arrival of the new hour, they would also play short pieces by various composers. The longest symphonic work written is by Richard Rodgers and lasts some 13 hours. Luckily, that was not played!

Comment

Working...
                          X