Lecture with Alfred Brendel in Luebeck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lecture with Alfred Brendel in Luebeck

2 days ago I visited a far relative of mine in the very beautiful German City of Luebeck (at the Baltic Sea). After I told her how much I loved clasical music she told me: "Well, then you might be interested to hear that Alfred Brendel is in town to give a training for young Music students for chamber music! Do we want to go there?" You can imagine how excited I was! So we went...
    It was wonderful to see such a great artist teaching those students. You may know that last year he retired from performing, but he teaches now.
    There was a Trio who performed Schubert's marvellous Eb Major Trio op. 100 with Brendel joining the audience during the performance. I thought they did a wonderful job, but after they performed a movement Brendel came up and gave lot's of of hints and suggestions to do it better. It was so great to see his love for Schubert as he was speaking ...

Gerd

That's great! Brendel is one of my favorite pianists, especially for Beethoven. I was fortunate enough to see his last concert in the United States last year, and it was wonderful. I am glad he is passing on his experience to young musicians now.

Comment

I agree with Chris, Brendel is a great pianist. I have seen him several times and was always struck by how modest he appeared on stage. I imagine he will make an excellent teacher.

Talking of which, AndrĂ¡s Schiff has a superb series exploring and explaining (to a live audience) all Beethoven's Piano Sonatas - see http://music.guardian.co.uk/classica...943867,00.html

Comment

I agree,a very big pianist and good musician.
        JCB

Comment

Gprengel I have just read your post. Guten tag. Brendel was at the Salzburg Festival last year lecturing as well, but I missed him - having to return to Australia weeks before! Doah!! I note that Pollini is at both Vienna Festival and Salzburg this year (but I'm having trouble getting tickets). Brendel is a hero - I have some of his Mozart Klaviersonaten and also Die Spaten Klaviersonaten von Schubert. Wunderbah!!

My husband and I are hoping to visit Europe again in 2011 and stay for a year - to catch both Vienna and Salzburg Festivals. Which places are the most desirable in Deutschland if one is a serious music lover? Anyone else who has any ideas would be welcome to contribute too, bitte.

Danke. (I am just starting to learn Deutsch!)

Comment

Which places are the most desirable in Deutschland if one is a serious music lover? Anyone else who has any ideas would be welcome to contribute too, bitte.

I would say, Bonn (Beethoven) and Leipzig (->Bach,Mendelssohn), but both cannot compare to Vienna and Salzburg.

Gerd

Comment

Yes, thanks - Bonn and Leipzig sound great. I passed by Bonn on the Rhine in early May last year - at about midnight - and put my hand across my heart when I saw those lights of Bonn from the river! But what about the best concerts and orchestras? Where's the best place in Germany to hear these?

Comment

But what about the best concerts and orchestras? Where's the best place in Germany to hear these?

There are many good orchestras, but the most famous of course are the "Berliner Philarmoniker" in Berlin. Only opera in Berlin is not good, because of their avantgardistic and weird scenic presentation.
                Also Munich or Frankfurt is very good.

But I choose a concert depending on what they play and not so much who plays ...

Comment

I agree it's what IS played, but here in Australia we don't have the mix of orchestras available to those of you in Europe. Having been recently over there I was amazed at the variety in programming say, in Vienna, where I noticed a lot of modern art music on the "menu". We don't have that here. Although Ashkenazy is Artistic Director of the Sydney Symphony the programming is very predictable. Coming up is an all-Mahler "Festival", playing through the entire symphonies. (Yawn yawn). This will take place sporadically during the next year. The SSO is a good orchestra, as is the Australian Chamber Orchestra, but I long for the sounds of those renowned like Concertgebouw Amsterdam, Berlin Phil, Vienna Phil, Concentus Musicus Wein etc. etc. These are GREAT ORCHESTRAS. And they have a constant stream of top-ranking solo artists. Yes, I can't wait to return...

Comment

Working...
                  X