Missa Solemnis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Missa Solemnis

I've been engrossed in the Missa lately. I just wondered if there has ever been a recording of it with the singing in English? Not sure how possible this would be - but I had heard somewhere that there is a German version

For the Mass in C, Beethoven found a German text, then reworked the mass and published it as "Three Hymns." I doubt if he had time at the end of his life to do the same for Missa Solemnis.
    "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

missa on youtube...

This does not answer the question originally asked... but if you can forgive the sound quality and concentrate instead on the interpretation of the work under Arturo Toscanini's baton you should have an absolutely exciting historical moment... the Gloria is found at this link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6v557bqtdk

Must it be? It must be!

Comment

Thanks Ateach - that was what I was meaning. Lordy, isn't it brassy though! There are some links to other extracts from Toscanini's interpretation of the Missa under "related videos" on youtube - the Benedictus is wonderful!

Comment

Call me nutty, but I'd love to have a recording of the Missa of the piano reduction, four vocal soloists & perhaps a chorus of about eight.

Comment

Dear DavidO;

Try G. Schirmer Editions of Masses and Vespers, New York/London, Edition number 602. This is a vocal score with piano accompaniment that includes an English translation too. 141 pages.

Comment

Originally posted by Hofrat View Post
              Dear DavidO;

Try G. Schirmer Editions of Masses and Vespers, New York/London, Edition number 602. This is a vocal score with piano accompaniment that includes an English translation too. 141 pages.
              Hofrat, I have the urtext G. Henle Verlag piano & vocal score, published in 2000. But do you know whether a recording has ever been produced with the piano & reduced vocal ensemble? That's what I'd really love to hear. I believe that reducing the number of vocalists & instrumentation can only clarify those extraordinary contrapuntal textures throughout the various sections. Its those textures that sometimes get lost in the noise of enormous vocal & instrumental forces all going at it fortissimo.

Comment

DavidO;

The purpose of the piano-vocal score is rehearsal of the vocal soloists and the choirs. They were not intended for performances, although your idea has merit. Beethoven had Ignaz Moscheles arrange a piano-vocal score for "Fidelio."

Comment

Seeing the posts about the definitive 32 piano sonatas, I was wondering what is recommended for the Missa?
                  I have a Tonhalle Orchestra, conducted by David Zinman recording of 2002

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Leeds View Post
                    Seeing the posts about the definitive 32 piano sonatas, I was wondering what is recommended for the Missa?
                    I have a Tonhalle Orchestra, conducted by David Zinman recording of 2002
                    Maybe because it was the first recording I had of it I recommend Klemperer. This is odd for me because generally I don't like the ponderous tempi of his recordings, but in the Missa I think he captures the grandeur of the work like no other.
                    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                      Maybe because it was the first recording I had of it I recommend Klemperer. This is odd for me because generally I don't like the ponderous tempi of his recordings, but in the Missa I think he captures the grandeur of the work like no other.
                      I agree, and for the same reasons. I don't think his Missa is really all that slow, though, is it?

I have not heard the Zinman recording. I didn't even know he made one. But his Beethoven symphonies are fantastic, so I may have to check it out.

Comment

Brilliant Classics offers both masses in a 2-CD set with Colin Davis conducting the London Symphony Chorus and Orchestra.

Comment

Originally posted by Hofrat View Post
                          Brilliant Classics offers both masses in a 2-CD set with Colin Davis conducting the London Symphony Chorus and Orchestra.
                          I quite like Davis' work. Have you had a chance to listen to this set?

Comment

Thanks for the replies
                            Haven't listened to the Davis' set but I think my local music library has a copy I could borrow.
                            I would be very interested to hear the Klemperer version, although I am aware that people have criticised as you say his ponderous tempi but I very much like his version of the Eroica (especially the funeral march)

Comment

Klemperer's version is also the one I play most often and the tempi are not noticeable very slow except at the end of the "Gloria". I quite like Leonard Berstein's version, too. The recording by Colin Davis is good but has never made much of an impression on me.
                              Last edited by Michael; 10-31-2009, 04:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X