Fur Elise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cetto von Cronstorff View Post
    And BTW the physician Dr. Johann Malfatti for whom Beethoven wrote the cantata "Lieto brindisi" was not Therese's father, but her father's cousin. Therese's father was the merchant Jacob Friedrich Malfatti von Rohrenbach zu Dezza.
    I stand corrected. I was writing from memory.

Comment

Getting back to "Fur Elise", I just came across this snippet in Classic FM magazine. I don't know if it's true or absolute rubbish:

Did You Know?
      If you use German note names where E flat is written Es (and pronounced "S" as in English), the name "Elise" is revealed in the first few notes of the piece.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        Getting back to "Fur Elise", I just came across this snippet in Classic FM magazine. I don't know if it's true or absolute rubbish:

Did You Know?
        If you use German note names where E flat is written Es (and pronounced "S" as in English), the name "Elise" is revealed in the first few notes of the piece.
        Well, the first notes of the piece are:

E D# E D# E B D C A

So, first of all, there aren't even any E flats. You could say the D#s are Ebs, I guess. Then it would be (in the German way of writing it):

E Es E Es E H D C A

So...still no. It's kind of a problem that there aren't any Ls or Is in musical notation, but maybe I'm being too literal. If you take the first three notes:

E Es E

And then pronounce them as if they were a word you...kind of...get something that sounds a little like Elise.

But that's really a stretch.

Comment

If Beethoven intended the title to be "Fur Therese," why are we are we looking for clues in the name "Elise?"
          "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

Originally posted by Hofrat View Post
            If Beethoven intended the title to be "Fur Therese," why are we are we looking for clues in the name "Elise?"
            I was just posting a snippet from a magazine which wasn't intended as a thesis. Whatever gets unearthed, this little piano piece will always be known as "Fur Elise". I'm still amazed that the animal rights people haven't raised any objections to the title.

Comment

FYI

http://members.aon.at/michaelorenz/elise/

Comment

Working...
              X