Josephine Von Brunsvik

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Josephine Von Brunsvik

I've had an email enquiring as to where Josephine was buried and wondered if anyone here has any ideas? She died in Vienna March 31st 1821.
    'Man know thyself'

Try the following website:

www.findagrave.com
    "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

Well Peter, your guess is as good as mine. My choices would be somewhere like St. Marx Friedhof or the old Währing Friedhof (pictured below, where Beethoven and Schubert were originally buried). I don't know if there is anything mentioned in any of the many books written about Beethoven as to the whereabouts of her grave. I'm curious to know if there is anybody on this forum who may have any ideas.

"God knows why it is that my pianoforte music always makes the worst impression on me, especially when it is played badly." -Beethoven 1804.

Comment

Originally posted by Hollywood View Post
        Well Peter, your guess is as good as mine. My choices would be somewhere like St. Marx Friedhof or the old Währing Friedhof (pictured below, where Beethoven and Schubert were originally buried). I don't know if there is anything mentioned in any of the many books written about Beethoven as to the whereabouts of her grave. I'm curious to know if there is anybody on this forum who may have any ideas.
        Well I wonder if there is a Brunsvik family mausoleum at Martonvasar? Josephine was married to Deym there.
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

I was at Martonvasar. No mausoleum to my recollection.

BTW, Josephine's family name was Stackelberg at her death.

Comment

She was probably buried in Vienna's Wahringer Cemetary which closed in 1873 and eventually made into a park in 1921. The question is where did they move her, if they moved her at all. Beethoven was moved from Wahringer Cemetary to Central Cemetary in 1888 but what happened to the remains of other less famous internees.

Comment

Originally posted by Hofrat View Post
              She was probably buried in Vienna's Wahringer Cemetary which closed in 1873 and eventually made into a park in 1921. The question is where did they move her, if they moved her at all. Beethoven was moved from Wahringer Cemetary to Central Cemetary in 1888 but what happened to the remains of other less famous internees.
              The entire cemetery wasn't turned into what is now Schubert Park. The original gate (photo below) and a small part of the Währinger Friedhof is still there. Back in 1990 the gate to this small cemetery was unlocked and I went inside to check it out. The only person's grave that I can remember the name on it was that of Stephan von Breuning. I only wish that I had taken photos while I had the chance back then. These gates have been locked ever since (or at least everytime I have gone back for a visit).

Last edited by Peter; 06-27-2009, 07:22 AM. Reason: Had to put a smaller image here Andrea as the page was too wide!
              "God knows why it is that my pianoforte music always makes the worst impression on me, especially when it is played badly." -Beethoven 1804.

Comment

The entire cemetery wasn't turned into what is now Schubert Park. The original gate (photo below) and a small part of the Währinger Friedhof is still there. Back in 1990 the gate to this small cemetery was unlocked and I went inside to check it out. The only person's grave that I can remember the name on it was that of Stephan von Breuning. I only wish that I had taken photos while I had the chance back then. These gates have been locked ever since (or at least everytime I have gone back for a visit).
                Yes, also Beethoven and Schubert's original tombstones are still there - we did manage to access this Andrea round the back or is there another part that is sealed off that you are referring to?

'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                  Yes, also Beethoven and Schubert's original tombstones are still there - we did manage to access this Andrea round the back or is there another part that is sealed off that you are referring to?

Yes, where the original cemetery entrance that is located on the main street is the area I am referring to Peter. You can look through the locked gate and still see a handful of graves there, but unfortunately you can't read clearly any of the names on those tombstones. Maybe the next time I am in that area I will bring my field glasses and see if I can read any of the names.

Comment

I understand she is buried in the Catholic Church of Savirsin
                    (Saborsin in hungarian, now in Romania) ????
                    Fidelio

Must it be.....it must be

Comment

Originally posted by Fidelio View Post
                      I understand she is buried in the Catholic Church of Savirsin
                      (Saborsin in hungarian, now in Romania) ????
                      Thanks for that Fidelio.
                      'Man know thyself'

Comment

You will get the key to the cemetery at the gardener's office in the Währingerpark. Most of the original graves in the remaining section are gone, except for the ones that were situated near the wall and needn't be moved.

Original graves preserved (among others): Vinzenz Neuling, Johann Martin Fischer and Ignaz von Seyfried. Surviving tombstiones of interest: Franz Clement, Karl Rosenbaum (and his wife Therese, Gassmann's daughter).

Comment

Working...
                        X