The Sawallisch/Concertgebouw Cycle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Sawallisch/Concertgebouw Cycle?

I bought this on the strength of the 7th, which I’d heard on the radio.

I’m mildly disappointed, as that 7th didn’t sound so great.

Oddly, the 3rd was awesome! And Sawallisch more than nailed the 6th.

His 5th had wondrous sounding horns, but, at the end of the day, blew chunks after the anemic mvmt 1 – incredibly loose start to the famous opening, too.

I’m yet to hear the 8th & 9th.

What’s going on with this cycle?

I am going to give it at least two more listenings. Am I missing something?

Regardless, all lovers of the Ludwig van should hear that 6th.

Background needed as soon as you all can provie it.

Originally posted by Bill View Post
    I bought this on the strength of the 7th, which I’d heard on the radio.

I’m mildly disappointed, as that 7th didn’t sound so great.
    Something similar happened to me recently. I heard on the radio a crystalline, sprightly, beautifully felt recording of the 6th. I should have been paying more attention to the DJ. I thought he said it was a budget recording by Cluytens. So I looked around for one & found the one with the Berliner Philharmoniker. When I played it at home, I wasn't terrifically impressed. I wondered whether that was the one I had heard on the radio.

I want the one I heard on the radio, but I'm not even completely sure it was Cluytens! Waaahhh.

Comment

Sometimes I hear something I like on the radio, and I go to the station's website playlist and click on "Click here to order," and it takes me to Arkiv's website. Often, there's some fine print that says, "The one played on the radio is out of stock, the one you clicked is what WE sell which is similar."

Comment

Working...
      X