May 31st

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

May 31st

This coming Sunday marks the bicentenary of the death of the great Franz Joseph Haydn. At the time Vienna was under Napoleonic bombardment and the French respectfully posted sentries outside his house. One officer, Sulemy asked to be allowed to sing to the dying composer and he movingly sang 'In native worth' from The Creation. On the 26th May Haydn played his Emperor's hymn on the piano 3 times but later was confined to his bed which he never left. Beethoven sheltering at his brother's house and covering his ears from the torment of the shelling was working on the Emperor concerto.
    'Man know thyself'

I did my part this year: I gave a recital last 22nd, played his last 3 sonatas, the fantasia (theme and variations) in f minor and the Capriccio in C major

I love the man to death, but it seems I'm the only one here in this god-forsaken town/state/country
    "Wer ein holdes Weib errungen..."

"My religion is the one in which Haydn is pope." - by me .

"Set a course, take it slow, make it happen."

Comment

Originally posted by Rutradelusasa View Post
      I did my part this year: I gave a recital last 22nd, played his last 3 sonatas, the fantasia (theme and variations) in f minor and the Capriccio in C major

I love the man to death, but it seems I'm the only one here in this god-forsaken town/state/country
      All lovely pieces - at least you're not alone here! Haydn's music is full of such joy and optimism which is lost with the more troubled Romantics. I think we could all learn from Haydn who lived such a simple life - today we are far too complicated for our own good!
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Not at all. I have collected most of his major works in the past year, and I have come to really love his music.

Comment

On May 30th and 31st, the city of Vienna will have Ein Fest FÜr Haydn (A Celebration for Haydn) at the Haydn Haus. The museum here will have special programs on these two days in honor of the 200th anniversary of Haydn's death. Also the museum will be free of charge on these two days. Here is a program of the works by Haydn that will be performed there during this anniversary weekend: http://www2.nethotels.com/release20/...p=7&idlng=2057

I would love to check this out (since the last time I was there was way back in 2003) but I have learned that whenever there is a "free of charge museum event" here in Vienna, there will be hundreds of people showing up. I really don't want to end up being squashed to death in the small house where Haydn himself died 200 years ago. I'll go there another time when the crowds are few and far between.
          "God knows why it is that my pianoforte music always makes the worst impression on me, especially when it is played badly." -Beethoven 1804.

Comment

Haydn's music has been particularly interesting to me. The man was so innovative and creative! Long have I admired his works and I am somewhat envious of your collection, Chris! I am reminded of some lyrics set to the slow movement of the Surprise Symphony...."Papa Haydn's dead and gone; But his memory lingers on...."

Comment

Originally posted by Hollywood View Post
              On May 30th and 31st, the city of Vienna will have Ein Fest FÜr Haydn (A Celebration for Haydn) at the Haydn Haus. The museum here will have special programs on these two days in honor of the 200th anniversary of Haydn's death. Also the museum will be free of charge on these two days. Here is a program of the works by Haydn that will be performed there during this anniversary weekend: http://www2.nethotels.com/release20/...p=7&idlng=2057

I would love to check this out (since the last time I was there was way back in 2003) but I have learned that whenever there is a "free of charge museum event" here in Vienna, there will be hundreds of people showing up. I really don't want to end up being squashed to death in the small house where Haydn himself died 200 years ago. I'll go there another time when the crowds are few and far between.
              People flock like that when it's free? geez! It costs only a buck!

Comment

People flock like that when it's free? geez! It costs only a buck!

Normally it costs €4 ($5.66) for the Haydn Haus which is cheaper than the usual museum price of almost €10 ($14.16). This is why when there is ever free entrance into any of our Vienna Museums the people show up in droves. Then there is also the fact that this event falls on a 3 day weekend since Monday is another catholic holiday in Austria.

On Austrian TV last night they showed the Haydn Haus packed to the rafters with people. This is why I'm going to wait until sometime during the week to check out what has been renovated since I last saw it back in 2003.
                "God knows why it is that my pianoforte music always makes the worst impression on me, especially when it is played badly." -Beethoven 1804.

Comment

Originally posted by Hollywood View Post
                  Normally it costs €4 ($5.66) for the Haydn Haus which is cheaper than the usual museum price of almost €10 ($14.16). This is why when there is ever free entrance into any of our Vienna Museums the people show up in droves. Then there is also the fact that this event falls on a 3 day weekend since Monday is another catholic holiday in Austria.

On Austrian TV last night they showed the Haydn Haus packed to the rafters with people. This is why I'm going to wait until sometime during the week to check out what has been renovated since I last saw it back in 2003.
                  Hmmm, I distinctly remembered paying a buck to enter the Haydnhaus and the Schwarzpanierhaus back in '07..., maybe it was a different situation (it was in January) or whatever...

Comment

Hmmm, I distinctly remembered paying a buck to enter the Haydnhaus and the Schwarzpanierhaus back in '07..., maybe it was a different situation (it was in January) or whatever...
                    I believe you remembered correctly about the price you paid back in 2007 which I think was something around €2.50 or so. But I think the reason why the price has gone up is that the Haydn Haus, along with the outer garden , was completely renovated and maybe the ticket price hike is to help pay for that renovation. Either that or it's just a fact of life that pretty much everything costs more today than it did back in January 2007.

Comment

Working...
                    X