Expression of Fur Elise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Expression of Fur Elise

I'm very happy to find a reference site about Beethoven.
    I'm here to find out what was actually Beethoven trying to convey through his masterpiece - Fur Elise.

My Fur Elise version is 3 minutes and 2 seconds. For the first minutes, Beethoven seemed like trying to express his love to his lover, who was Therese. He missed Therese so much.

After the first minute, the tone and the style of the song being played is different. The mood is happy and excited. I think that Beethoven recalled the best memory being with his lover. The happy days which Beethoven stayed with his loved one.

However, after that, the song returns to its original tone and style. He got love sickness again. From 1:55 to 2:20, Beethoven seemed to think about unhappy moment. He was a little bit angry and sad.

And the song ends with "nothing can be done" mood as the song fades away. Beethoven was sad because he couldn't do anything to make the situation better, he was disappointed.

This my analysis of Beethoven mood when he was composing the song. I will greatly appreciate your opinion. Thank you.
    Last edited by duxson; 05-09-2009, 11:14 AM.

Hi Duxson,
    Welcome to the forum.
    I agree with your analysis. I especially like the idea that you say at the end the mood is "nothing can be done" and I think this is evident in the lack of any markings to indicate a gradual increase in tone where you play B, C, D E in the right hand. This does not appear to be always observed in some recordings I have heard. I also wonder how much ritardando should be used in the middle section of the song and whether this should vary.

Comment

Thank you Phil Leeds,

I feel very grateful that you agree with my last idea when the song fades away. May I know what is your feeling and analysis for the whole song?

Comment

Welcome Duxon. I think this is a very 'Romantic' interpretation! Barry Cooper, Solomon and the unheard Beethoven site both suggest a possible date for the origins of this work as early as 1808 which if correct would be 2 years before Beethoven met Therese Malfatti. The autograph score (now lost) was found in her possession so he did give her the piece, but it may have been written prior to their meeting.
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
        X