Beware of Heiligenstadt...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beware of Heiligenstadt...

Last Fall, I went to Vienna to visit the Master's haunts and wanted to warn summer-time visitors of a certain somebody who curates the Heiligenstadt haus. The guy is a totally snob and a half!

Dude wears glasses and looks like one of those librarian-types acting out intellectual revenge fantasies: "I was a nobody when I was a kid, but now I'll show you how superior I am because I work at Heiligenstadt!" Oh boy. Give me a break! Ok, it wasn't what he said, but it was his whole demeanor, so flippant, so arrogant.

Me and my lady-friend went in and already he had that "look." You know what I mean: "Heathens! Ja! Heathens, inferiors!" I ask him a question and he starts talkin' down to us like we're the stupidest people in the world. Excuuuuuuse me.

I don't know maybe we weren't "Aryan" enough for him. Maybe `cause we're not part of the Master Race he automatically branded us as "low-lifes." So maybe those with blonde hair and blue eyes are going to be OK. I don't know...

All I gotta say is this guy is a disgrace to the legacy of Beethoven. He obviously never read the words: "Alle menchen verden Bruder."

And if anybody meets him then tell him he needs to get another job -- like working in sewers at night so he doesn't have to fraternize with other human beings.

[This message has been edited by euphony131 (edited 07-09-2001).]

Originally posted by euphony131:

I don't know maybe we weren't "Aryan" enough for him. Maybe `cause we're not part of the Master Race he automatically branded us as "low-lifes." So maybe those with blonde hair and blue eyes are going to be OK. I don't know...

Well, I went there a couple of years ago and didn't have any problems, and I've got dark hair and brown eyes! ( I suppose this means my grandfather was probably a Moor). But these Austrians aren't 'have a nice day...missing you already' types.

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Strong words Euphony - this guy obviously riled you!

I haven't been to Heiligenstadt and my proposed trip to Vienna has had to be postponed till next year.

Did you sign the guest book?!

------------------
      'Man know thyself'
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by euphony131:
        Last Fall, I went to Vienna to visit the Master's haunts and wanted to warn summer-time visitors of a certain somebody who curates the Heiligenstadt haus. The guy is a totally snob and a half!

Dude wears glasses and looks like one of those librarian-types acting out intellectual revenge fantasies: "I was a nobody when I was a kid, but now I'll show you how superior I am because I work at Heiligenstadt!" Oh boy. Give me a break! Ok, it wasn't what he said, but it was his whole demeanor, so flippant, so arrogant.

Me and my lady-friend went in and already he had that "look." You know what I mean: "Heathens! Ja! Heathens, inferiors!" I ask him a question and he starts talkin' down to us like we're the stupidest people in the world. Excuuuuuuse me.

All I gotta say is this guy is a disgrace to the legacy of Beethoven. He obviously never read the words: "Alle menchen verden Bruder."

And if anybody meets him then tell him he needs to get another job -- like working in sewers at night so he doesn't have to fraternize with other human beings.

What an idiot he turned out to be disgracing you guys and beethoven like that! If I was in that place with one of my younger cousin...the two of us would chew him out.

Comment

I don't know
          if you're American or not Euphony,.....:S
          but whether it's a political, racial, religious agenda, or just outright envy,
          there are plenty of ppl out there that have
          trouble concealing their contempt
          for foreigners, especially Americans. Unfortunately they perceive them to be
          the greediest, ill-mannered bunch of all
          on the planet. This doesn't excuse the haughty
          behavior, it just makes it easier to
          comprehend. ~

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
            ...and I've got dark hair and brown eyes! ( I suppose this means my grandfather was probably a Moor).
            Heh heh

Comment

Originally posted by ~Leslie:

I don't know
              if you're American or not Euphony,.....:S
              but whether it's a political, racial, religious agenda, or just outright envy,
              there are plenty of ppl out there that have
              trouble concealing their contempt
              for foreigners, especially Americans. Unfortunately they perceive them to be
              the greediest, ill-mannered bunch of all
              on the planet. This doesn't excuse the haughty
              behavior, it just makes it easier to
              comprehend. ~
              You can always identify Americans on the London Underground...they speak the loudest. Any nation that votes in a character like Dubya Bush has to be placed under suspicion...however I do spend a lot of time in Borders and Starbucks, so they're good for somethin'. PS Yanks also make the best guitars, but crappy pianos.

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Chris:
                Heh heh

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
                  You can always identify Americans on the London Underground...they speak the loudest. Any nation that votes in a character like Dubya Bush has to be placed under suspicion...however I do spend a lot of time in Borders and Starbucks, so they're good for somethin'. PS Yanks also make the best guitars, but crappy pianos.
                  Starbucks??? Shame! My big problem with them is not so much their coffee (not bad) but the fact that the rest of the world probably assumes that Starbucks *IS* coffee here in the PNW US, where they're from. Not true, as the diversity of independent coffee shops and local chains competing with Starbucks demonstrates.

BTW, you're forgetting that We The People DID NOT vote in the current occupant of the White House. With 52% of the popular vote going for Gore & Nader, one could argue that the US is in fact almost as liberal as some Euro nations...well, not really, but...

My better half & I were mistaken for Brits numerous times during our holidays in Belgium and Holland, BTW. Of course, we TRY to distance ourselves from other Merkuns when traveling abroad. And our nominal American accents must sound somewhat like British to Dutch-speakers.

ObBeethoven: Listened to some of Op. 132 this morning...

Comment

Originally posted by NickB:
                    Starbucks??? Shame! My big problem with them is not so much their coffee (not bad) but the fact that the rest of the world probably assumes that Starbucks *IS* coffee here in the PNW US, where they're from. Not true, as the diversity of independent coffee shops and local chains competing with Starbucks demonstrates.
                    Starbucks has taken over the whole of central London recently, you can't hide down a single back alley without bumping into one.

BTW, you're forgetting that We The People DID NOT vote in the current occupant of the White House. With 52% of the popular vote going for Gore & Nader, one could argue that the US is in fact almost as liberal as some Euro nations...well, not really, but...
                    Don't worry, I was anticipating a retort concerning 'Margaret Thatcher', to which I had prepared 'Ronald Reagan'. I didn't vote at all at our elections just past, such is my discontent!!

My better half & I were mistaken for Brits numerous times during our holidays in Belgium and Holland, BTW. Of course, we TRY to distance ourselves from other Merkuns when traveling abroad. And our nominal American accents must sound somewhat like British to Dutch-speakers.
                    Wow...posh Yanks!

------------------

Comment

To EUPHONY 131 : I suggest you write to the Tourism office of Vienna about your story.
                      Even in Germany they are speaking about Austrians as very "naZionalists"....
                      But all Austria is not One people. Naturally it was natural to be hurt because you were in Heiligenstadt were B. wrote his testimony of love for others human beeing.
                      I plan to go there. If I see this guy I will (in a perfect german) say something about brotherhood etc, etc....
                      The world is full with such people anyway.

------------------
                      Claudie
                      Claudie

Comment

Originally posted by Claudie MICAULT:
                        To EUPHONY 131 : I suggest you write to the Tourism office of Vienna about your story.
                        Even in Germany they are speaking about Austrians as very "naZionalists"....
                        But all Austria is not One people. Naturally it was natural to be hurt because you were in Heiligenstadt were B. wrote his testimony of love for others human beeing.
                        I plan to go there. If I see this guy I will (in a perfect german) say something about brotherhood etc, etc....
                        The world is full with such people anyway.

right on Claudie! *high fives*

------------------
                        freedom for all- Ludwig Van Beethoven

Comment

Working...
                        X