No announcement yet.

New Movie: "The Soloist"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just saw this movie last week on PPV. Loved it. Jamie Foxx was excellent. I would love to buy the soundtrack. Lots of Beethoven.

Comment

I have seen this movie myself and I don't know whether to recommend it or not because the whole experience was ruined for me because of the awful quality of the sound system in my local "state of the art" cinema. It does contain a huge amount of Beethoven's music and in one scene, brilliant use is made of the "Heliger Dankgesang" from the A minor quartet. I'll wait for the DVD before passing judgement.
      Incidentally, I sent off an irate email to my local Omniplex. That was about a month ago, but they have, so far, made no attempt to knock and rebuild the cinema.

Comment

I just finished watching The Soloist.

BRAVO!

I will be adding this movie to my collection. It is a serious movie that touches on some very deep issues.
        - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Be sure to watch this:

http://theenvelope.latimes.com/news/...774908.special

Comment

The Soloist

I recently saw the film on DVD. Also read reviews on net. It was quite a good film but the harrowing scenes about mental illness went on and on. Obviously I pressed "jump" for these scenes after a while. I think Foxx was good but he borrowed heavily from Geoffrey Rush (yeah, Aussie!) and "Shine". Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery they say.

Anyway, I like the film because it explored the affect of passion and love for music on a human being. I'm sure Downey Junr would have confronted his own demons whilst making this. The lines he says to his ex-wife in the film resonate: "You should have seen him while he was listening to the music. He was somewhere else. He loves Beethoven more than anything else and I just never knew that could be possible". (paraphrasing a bit) Yes, based on a true story but the Downey character was married, not divorced, in the real story. Anyway, I could have written the script myself because that's how I feel about Beethoven too. Since I retired from highschool teaching in 2007 I've devoted myself to finding out more and more about Beethoven, exploring the late quartets and reading, reading. (Also Bach.) I was first introduced to the great men when, as a child of 7, my mother played Bach and Beethoven for me on the piano and through 33rpm recordings of Richter. I really DO need to get a life - so many people seem to think. Especially my husband! But these are really "quality of life issues", don't you all think?
            Last edited by Bonn1827; 01-29-2010, 04:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonn1827 View Post
              Since I retired from highschool teaching in 2007 I've devoted myself to finding out more and more about Beethoven, exploring the late quartets and reading, reading. (Also Bach.) I was first introduced to the great men when, as a child of 7, my mother played Bach and Beethoven for me on the piano and through 33rpm recordings of Richter. I really DO need to get a life - so many people seem to think. Especially my husband! But these are really "quality of life issues", don't you all think?
              You were very lucky indeed to have a mother like that! As to 'getting a life', strange isn't it how people with no real interests of their own are jealous of other people who have? Music is one of the real joys of life and a great teacher - carry on and take no notice!
              'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Philip
                I'm sure you're right, Peter. I've always been a little bit confused by this expression ('Get a Life'). Does it mean 'Buy an Anorak'? OK, I'm being flippant, but really, what does it mean? Is it a call to "join the mainstream", whatever that may be? If that's the case, I'll never have a life.
                Another saying is, 'Wake up and smell the coffee', which I am sure would be more pleasing to you Philip.
                ‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                  As to 'getting a life', strange isn't it how people with no real interests of their own are jealous of other people who have?
                  Peter, quite touching. It reminds me of a teaching of Buddha's:

He who gives himself to vanity, and does not give himself to meditation, forgetting the real aim (of life) and grasping at pleasure, will in time envy him who has exerted himself in meditation.

Comment

The Dhammapada

Comment

Originally posted by Philip
                      Ergo, I have never heard of the Dhammapada.
                      It is one of the most sacred of all Buddhists writings. Possibly written by Buddha himself, and if not, the words of The Dhammapada come directly from the Buddha himself.

Comment

I'm glad John Cage knew about Buddhism for he knew nothing about music, IMO. Even the deaf Beethoven wrote music that other people could HEAR.

Comment

Working...
                        X