Sonata number 18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sonata number 18

Anyone else find piano sonata number 18 fantastic?

On compilation CDs it hardly ever seems to be picked by performers, but I just love the quirkiness of the start, the slow movement is beautiful in its simplicity and the last movement is breath taking. All in my humble opinion of course

I like No. 18, yes. Of the three sonatas in Op. 31, it's my least favorite; but it's interesting & inventive & spry. My sort of internal complaint about so many recordings is that I don't think of the Minuet as a slow movement -- I prefer the movement to be kept nimbler than it typically is (the way Claude Frank plays it, for example, is closer to the way I hear it). When you said "slow movement" in your post, I was confused for a moment -- because I'm not use to conceptualizing the Minuet in that way.

So any particular performers or recordings of Op. 31, No. 3 you really like?

Comment

Yes, I love this piece. I recently heard Andras Schiff play it live, and that was a real treat. I particularly like the last movement.

Comment

In order of preference of the three opus 31 sonatas I put no.2, no.3 then no.1 which I like least. The opening of the Eb sonata is so original and puts the sonata as a whole on a special level. Incidentally Saint-Saens used the trio from the minuet as a set of variations for two pianos. Alfred Brendel is certainly my choice of 'modern' performers of the piece.
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

I take your point about a minuet being kept nimble, does the marking "moderato e grazioso" imply that it should be slightly slower than a minuet though I wonder.
          As for recordings, I only have Bernard Roberts recording. I bought these complete B piano sonatos many years ago, mainly because it was cheap, but have since read that they are held in some esteem. I am a big fan of Wilhelm Kempff's recordings and have, on vinyl, his recordings of the usual 3 (i.e. Appassionata, Pathetique and Moonlight) and a few others but not this sonata. Perhaps I should buy Kempff's complete set, but last time I looked they were quite expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Leeds View Post
            I take your point about a minuet being kept nimble, does the marking "moderato e grazioso" imply that it should be slightly slower than a minuet though I wonder.
            As for recordings, I only have Bernard Roberts recording. I bought these complete B piano sonatos many years ago, mainly because it was cheap, but have since read that they are held in some esteem. I am a big fan of Wilhelm Kempff's recordings and have, on vinyl, his recordings of the usual 3 (i.e. Appassionata, Pathetique and Moonlight) and a few others but not this sonata. Perhaps I should buy Kempff's complete set, but last time I looked they were quite expensive.
            I believe this one was nicknamed The Hunt. I enjoy it's spirited finale. I also have Bernard Roberts recordings and enjoy them.
            'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

I first heard this glorious work on a DGG vinyl record in the 1970s played by Kempff and this version has remained the definitive one for me, even over Brendel (whose recording is spoiled by a studio rumble which I find hard to tune out). I also like Ashkenazy's Decca recording.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                ...even over Brendel (whose recording is spoiled by a studio rumble which I find hard to tune out).
                Maybe he was playing on an empty stomach?...

Comment

Originally posted by PDG View Post
                  You are always thinking of food aren't you--or making someone else always think of food.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
                    You are always thinking of food aren't you--or making someone else always think of food.
                    No, but my doctor has always advised me never to eat on an empty stomach....

Gastronomical PDG...

Comment

Originally posted by PDG View Post

PDG, surely you know the difference between piano music and wind?

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                        PDG, surely you know the difference between piano music and wind?
                        Surely. But can a piano have bellows?

Comment

Working...
                        X