Recording of King Stephen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recording of King Stephen?

Is there a complete recording of King Stephen available?

The only thing I could find was this:

http://www.amazon.com/Beethoven-Chor...7785120&sr=1-6

But it seems like a couple of the Melodramas might be missing.

Yes a couple of the melodramas are missing from that version. It is complete in vol.3 of the DG edition which includes all the orchestral works for stage.
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Try White Label HRC 118. Recorded and produced in Hungary.

What makes you think that the disc offered on Amazon is not complete?
      "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
        It is complete in vol.3 of the DG edition which includes all the orchestral works for stage.
        Yes, unfortunately the only one I see for sale is $400 used!

Comment

Originally posted by Hofrat View Post
          Try White Label HRC 118. Recorded and produced in Hungary.
          Thanks - do you know where I could aquire this disc?

What makes you think that the disc offered on Amazon is not complete?
          I compared the track list with the Wikipedia page on the work. It looks like two are missing. I wasn't sure, because they could have been combined with other tracks or something along those lines.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
            Is there a complete recording of King Stephen available?

The only thing I could find was this:

http://www.amazon.com/Beethoven-Chor...7785120&sr=1-6

But it seems like a couple of the Melodramas might be missing.

I would heartily recommend the Tilson Thomas recording. I have the DGG recording but I think I listened to it only once, chiefly because it has an annoying "Recitation" by, of all people, Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau, which cannot be seperated from the musical sections. Peter found a recording of the "Egmont" music very irritating for much the same reason. Honestly, the "King Stephen" story or libretto or whatever is a load of nonsense by Kotzebue for the opening of the Royal Theatre in Pest in 1811 and anything you really need to know is contained in the booklet of the Michael Tilson Thomas recording.
            The music is another story. It's not up to the standard of Egmont but I have always liked it, especially the "Women's Chorus", an absolutely gorgeous piece, the main theme of which was used in the King Stephen overture. Track 7 is labelled "Melodrama - musical portions only" which seems to be a contradiction in terms but it contains all you will need. There may be another extremely short melodrama which is not included but the DGG disc is so difficult to navigate that I can't be sure but the amount of music is negligible.
            This recording also contains the short cantata "Calm Sea and Prosperous Voyage" as well as the beautiful "Elegischer Gesang" and a couple of other items.

Comment

Sorry, Chris, I can not remember where I bought it. It also contains the music to "Ruins of Athens" and the overture to "Creatures of Prometheus."
              "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                I would heartily recommend the Tilson Thomas recording. I have the DGG recording but I think I listened to it only once, chiefly because it has an annoying "Recitation" by, of all people, Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau, which cannot be seperated from the musical sections. Peter found a recording of the "Egmont" music very irritating for much the same reason. Honestly, the "King Stephen" story or libretto or whatever is a load of nonsense by Kotzebue for the opening of the Royal Theatre in Pest in 1811 and anything you really need to know is contained in the booklet of the Michael Tilson Thomas recording.
                The music is another story. It's not up to the standard of Egmont but I have always liked it, especially the "Women's Chorus", an absolutely gorgeous piece, the main theme of which was used in the King Stephen overture. Track 7 is labelled "Melodrama - musical portions only" which seems to be a contradiction in terms but it contains all you will need. There may be another extremely short melodrama which is not included but the DGG disc is so difficult to navigate that I can't be sure but the amount of music is negligible.
                This recording also contains the short cantata "Calm Sea and Prosperous Voyage" as well as the beautiful "Elegischer Gesang" and a couple of other items.
                Thanks, Michael - you've convinced me!

Comment

Working...
                X