Lost trio performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lost trio performance

A concert in Chicago today will feature the first known public performance of a once-lost piece by Beethoven. No one knows when the Piano Trio in E Flat Major was composed -- only that it's a reworking of a string trio Beethoven wrote as a young man in 1792.

A manuscript of the 12-minute first movement -- in Beethoven's own hand -- was discovered and published by a German scholar in 1920. But the performance by the Beethoven Project Trio will be the first time it will be heard by an audience.

The concert will be broadcast live by Chicago's WFMT-FM.
    'Man know thyself'

This work is Hess 47. The New Hess Catalog reads as follows:

47 trio for piano, violin, and 'cello after the string trio opus 3. This original arrangement breaks off after 43 bars of the second movement. The first edition with a description was published by Wilhelm Altmann in Zeitschrift fur Musikwissenschaft, volume 3, December 1920, pp 129-158. The autograph, formerly with Hans Prieger, was in private hands in Frankfurt am Main, then became the property of H.C. Bodmer who gave it to the Beethoven House in 1956 where it was catalogged as SBH 713.
    "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

So, it's not a lost work but a lost arrangement?

Comment

An unfinished original arrangement!!

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
          A concert in Chicago today will feature the first known public performance of a once-lost piece by Beethoven. No one knows when the Piano Trio in E Flat Major was composed -- only that it's a reworking of a string trio Beethoven wrote as a young man in 1792.

A manuscript of the 12-minute first movement -- in Beethoven's own hand -- was discovered and published by a German scholar in 1920. But the performance by the Beethoven Project Trio will be the first time it will be heard by an audience.

The concert will be broadcast live by Chicago's WFMT-FM.
          This can not be the first time Hess 47 has been performed since it was performed in April 2007 in Genoa. The premiere performance was covered in Volume 7 of the ABF bulletin.

Comment

BTW, I have a sound file of the first movement of Hess 47.

Comment

Originally posted by Hofrat View Post
              This can not be the first time Hess 47 has been performed since it was performed in April 2007 in Genoa. The premiere performance was covered in Volume 7 of the ABF bulletin.
              Maybe but they are claiming it as the first public performance.
              'Man know thyself'

Comment

I have heard only the string trio version, of course, but I just love that first movement.
                A midi version can be heard from the "Unheard Beethoven" site. Look under Hess 47.

Comment

Chicago, eh? My old stomping grounds. If CSO is performing it would be great I know! The radio station is familiar too.
                  'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Joy View Post
                    Chicago, eh? My old stomping grounds. If CSO is performing it would be great I know! The radio station is familiar too.
                    And I bet you were a real stomper in your day, Joy!

Comment

Originally posted by Hofrat View Post
                      An unfinished original arrangement!!
                      It wasn't finished? Maybe it's really by Schubert?...

Comment

Originally posted by PDG View Post
                        And I bet you were a real stomper in your day, Joy!
                        And how! Especially going to the disco! Uh, oh! I'm showing my age! Oh, I don't care!
                        Those were fun times!
                        Last edited by Joy; 03-05-2009, 12:32 AM. Reason: sp
                        'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Working...
                        X