Fantasy op77

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fantasy op77

Just a note to say there's a new composition in the rare works page, the fantasy op77. Peter usually does this but perhaps he forgot. Not exactly a rare work, but the playing's first rate in this recording.

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Whoops! Yes I forgot and for those who want a direct link -
    www.kingsbarn.freeserve.co.uk/selected.html

As Rod says not a truly rare work, but it was requested and I felt it was perhaps not as well known or performed as it ought to be. Remember you can request any rare work you like, but it will have to join the queue and wait its turn!

------------------
    'Man know thyself'

[This message has been edited by Peter (edited 07-21-2001).]
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
      Whoops! Yes I forgot and for those who want a direct link -
      www.kingsbarn.freeserve.co.uk/selected.html

As Rod says not a truly rare work, but it was requested and I felt it was perhaps not as well known or performed as it ought to be. Remember you can request any rare work you like, but it will have to join the queue and wait its turn!

This is easily the best version of the fantasy I've heard, what do you think of Brautigam? His fortepiano experience is apparent to me in this disk or at least his playing is suited to the fp if he hadn't done so at this time, pitty he didn't use an fp for this recording. He has since recorded the complete Mozart sonatas on fp.

PS you've got the catalogue info messed up on your page.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 07-21-2001).]

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
        This is easily the best version of the fantasy I've heard, what do you think of Brautigam? His fortepiano experience is apparent to me in this disk or at least his playing is suited to the fp if he hadn't done so at this time, pitty he didn't use an fp for this recording. He has since recorded the complete Mozart sonatas on fp.

PS you've got the catalogue info messed up on your page.

I like his playing, though I'm having trouble downloading this file - I get half way through and it cuts off - I'll try again (my 3rd attempt!). Do you notice a similarity at the opening with the slow movement of the 4th concerto?
        You'll have to give me the catalogue info again as I've deleted your email .

------------------
        'Man know thyself'
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

I like his playing, though I'm having trouble downloading this file - I get half way through and it cuts off - I'll try again (my 3rd attempt!). Do you notice a similarity at the opening with the slow movement of the 4th concerto?

There's nothing wrong with the file from my only attempt, I've heard it all downloaded.

I see your point about the 4th and the fantasy's opening - stark and aggressive followed by timid passages. Whether there's a conscious link between the two works I don't know.

You do not preserve my emails for posterity? Let this be a lesson.

------------------

Comment

There's nothing wrong with the file from my only attempt, I've heard it all downloaded.

I see your point about the 4th and the fantasy's opening - stark and aggressive followed by timid passages. Whether there's a conscious link between the two works I don't know.

You do not preserve my emails for posterity? Let this be a lesson.

re the 4th - those timid passages are virtually identical to a similar passage in the slow movement of the concerto. Some of the figuration where the music is grouped in quintuplets is also straight out of the development in the first movement of the 4th. One of the variations of the B maj theme reminds of a variation in Op.109 - another passage at the beginning reminds me of a passage in the intro to the 7th - this piece is a real pot-pourri!

I've managed to download the whole file now and very much like the performance which wondefully balances the dramatic and lyrical sections. I've started learning the piece myself to add to my repertoire.

Your emails are far too polite for me to keep - they're not truly representative and would give posterity a false impression !

------------------
            'Man know thyself'
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Your emails are far too polite for me to keep - they're not truly representative and would give posterity a false impression !

I'm glad you like the track. As you know my recommendations are flawless.

Are you not robbing posterity of the full picture by removing these polite messages, the impolite ones posted here being the only ones preserved?

------------------

Comment

Etcetera, KTC 1018

------------------

Comment

Etcetera, KTC 1018

Thanks - will have to change it later today as am v.busy.

You are preserved for posterity in your full glory already on this forum, without the need for a few emails!

------------------
                  'Man know thyself'
                  'Man know thyself'

Comment

I'm glad you like the track. As you know my recommendations are flawless.

Are you not robbing posterity of the full picture by removing these polite messages, the impolite ones posted here being the only ones preserved?

If it makes you feel any better, I perserve all my e-mails, including yours.

Bob

------------------
                    I am not a number, I am a free man!
                    Some have said I am ripe for the Madhouse. Does that make me Beethoven? No, but it is interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob the Composer:
                      If it makes you feel any better, I perserve all my e-mails, including yours.

Bob

How is this supposed to make me feel better? It's like saying to a member of the fair sex 'you're as beautiful..as all the other woman I see each day.' A rather half-baked compliment Bob! In fact now I feel a little worse.

------------------

Comment

How is this supposed to make me feel better? It's like saying to a member of the fair sex 'you're as beautiful..as all the other woman I see each day.' A rather half-baked compliment Bob! In fact now I feel a little worse.

At least posterity will remember you for your gentle side and not as a conneiving egomaniac. ...... wait a minute........ My....mind......is...... going.......I.....cannot.... tell .... a.....l.i.e........

Bob

------------------
                        I am not a number, I am a free man!
                        Some have said I am ripe for the Madhouse. Does that make me Beethoven? No, but it is interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob the Composer:
                          At least posterity will remember you for your gentle side and not as a conneiving egomaniac. ...... wait a minute........ My....mind......is...... going.......I.....cannot.... tell .... a.....l.i.e........

Bob

Any comments about the Fantasy Bob?

------------------
                          'Man know thyself'
                          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Any comments from anybody about any of these works on the rare page?!

------------------

Comment

Don't worry Peter, the March (fp 4 hands) comming next will definitely give 'em something to talk about.

------------------

Comment

Working...
                              X