This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael View Post
    Sorry, I didn't look at the Naxos CD properly. It does contain WoO2a but not
    2b. What is it with that piece? The only place it seems to have surfaced is on the DGG set.
    Michael/Chris,

WoO.2b IS on the Amado/Cascade complete edition (disc 15). The sleeve says that the track was licensed from 'Simax Classics'.

Comment

Originally posted by PDG View Post
      Michael/Chris,

WoO.2b IS on the Amado/Cascade complete edition (disc 15). The sleeve says that the track was licensed from 'Simax Classics'.
      Well spotted, PDG, it is indeed. I convinced myself (and you, if I remember correctly) that the piece was left out. As I had three complete editions, I made out my own list by printing out Beethoven's complete works and writing in different colour inks the number of the disc on which each work could be found. It sounds complicated and time-consuming but was quite easy to do when you break it down. A few items slipped through the net including
      WoO2b.
      (It took more time to write this than to listen to the piece!)

Comment

Of course, we are just discussing the 1805 version of Leonore. There is also a 1806 version with more cuts including "The Gold Song!"
        "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

Originally posted by Hofrat View Post
          Of course, we are just discussing the 1805 version of Leonore. There is also a 1806 version with more cuts including "The Gold Song!"
          No great loss. When it was reinstated in Fidelio, it comes as a real anticlimax after the quartet (to me anyway). Beethoven was glad to have it back, but what does he know?

Comment

Earlier this morning a cd of Glenn Gould playing Byrd, Gibbons and Sweelinck - fine playing and it is remarkable how he recreates the sound world of the virginal on a piano. Of course this met with much criticism from purists, perhaps more so than when playing Bach on the modern piano? What is best in the music for me is that of William Byrd and his extraordinary contrapuntal mastery unequalled for keyboard I think before Bach. A very enjoyable cd.
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Michael;

Beethoven makes a social statement with "The Gold Song." In the 1805 version, the text was very harsh. Stephen von Bruening, who helped with the 1806 libretto, managed to persuade Beethoven to remove it from version 1806, but the aria returns to version 1814 albeit with a tamer text.
              "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

No! I love "The Gold Song!"

Comment

Okay, okay. I'll allow the "Gold Song" to be reinstated. Just this once.

Comment

Is there any known performance by Glenn Gold?

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
                      An argument for studying the score, then. It is true though, that one cannot expect to hear all the inner detail of any work on first hearing. Beethoven wrote music for everyone, including "mere mortals".
                      I disagree somewhat. Studying the score may be just as revealing or enlightening as hearing the work, but this way can never be as enjoyable or thrilling as allowing the flow into your ears...

Paradoxical to the famous child advice - that they 'should be seen and not heard' - is that music (and especially great music) should be heard and - perhaps - not seen.

Comment

Kleiber's 5th & 7th

Just drove round trip to NY (1 1/2hrs. @ way). Listened to Kleiber's 5th & 7th. Was Fun!

Good night,
                        Zevy

Comment

Piano Concerto no. 3. Live recording may 26, 1957 Karajan/BP and Gould on the Piano. Just starting to listen but I love it.

The artists about each other:
                          Karajan: "When I heard Gould play, I felt as I was playing myself, for his performance was exactly in line with my own view of the music".

Gould, when Cosmopolitan, in 1966 asked him about his favourite recordings he mentioned Karajan's Brandemburg Concertos in DG: "Karajan sometimes reminds me of dimitri Mitropoulos in his seemingly reluctant concessions to baroque erudition. Thus these recordings feature immaculate phrasing and tempi that cannot be faulted but far too many strings and a harpsichord that is too much far away from the microphone. But in their own blurred way, they are really wonderful."

Gould really knew how to criticise when he was praising!!

Comment

Originally posted by PDG View Post
                            Is there any known performance by Glenn Gold?
                            Goldberg Variations?

Comment

Originally posted by atserriotserri View Post
                              Gould really knew how to criticise when he was praising!!
                              ...better than his comments about the "mediocre" Mozart who died "too late"...
                              Zevy

Comment

Aaron Copland's Hoedown from Rodeo. Quite fun and passionate music.

Any other members like the music of Copland?
                                Last edited by Preston; 03-06-2009, 01:40 AM.
                                - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Working...
                                X