This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Peter View Post
    Do you know this sonata? I'm sure we can find plenty of duff works in C minor. To be honest I'm not fond of Beethoven's early C minor sonata Op.10/1and even the Pathetique is not as fine as the D major sonata Op.10/3 in my view.

!!

Beethoven's earliest surviving work is in C minor: the variations on a march by Dressler. It's pretty harmless but he was only 13, or 12 or 11 (he was never sure himself).

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
      He is my alter ego, my doppelgänger, my insane elder brother locked in my attic (though he has an internet connection there). Over to you, PDG !
      I always wondered what PDG stood for. Of course! Philip's Deranged (doppel)Gänger!
      Last edited by Michael; 02-18-2009, 12:33 PM. Reason: Forgot about the umlaut!

Comment

Originally posted by PDG View Post
        . In fact, come to think of it, Philip posts only when Philip posts......definitely some sort of conspiracy going on here...
        Well spotted, PDG! Explain that, if you can, Philip.

Comment

Originally posted by PDG View Post
          Bad news, Phil. I escaped from your attic many moons ago. My captivity became really intolerable every time I could hear wonky 'cello music wafting up through the rafters...
          Normally, such a comment merits death by garrotte (I have a few broken 'cello strings lying around), but as I don't believe in fratricide I will spare my insane elder brother ... this time.
          Of course, in his crazed haste to post something he typed 'wonky' instead of 'worthy'. Yes, this is what he meant.

[... No I didn't ...]
          Last edited by Quijote; 02-18-2009, 01:11 PM. Reason: Muffled sounds of soft flesh being beaten upstairs...

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
            Normally, such a comment merits death by garrotte (I have a few broken 'cello strings lying around), but as I don't believe in fratricide I will spare my insane elder brother ... this time.
            Of course, in his crazed haste to post something he typed 'wonky' instead of 'worthy'. Yes, this is what he meant.

[... No I didn't ...]
            Philip, if you wish to thrash yourself upstairs, then that is of course a private matter (although one must always be permitted to smirk). However, you should be reminded that in the Forum Rules Handbook, such activity is frowned upon. I have a copy here, and I quote, thusly:

Page 342, paragraph 9, sub-chapter 4, line 7:

"Any member admitting to self-punishment administration shall be, by way of physical application, banished to the wasteland (by T S Eliot). There, forever, to be ostracised once and for all as the fetishist he truly must be! Like Max Mosley. Oh yes...".

Your membership is therefore revoked. Please return all whips, creams and other rubbery attachments pronto. You may re-apply once you have learned how to play the 'cello properly...

Comment

Gosh, I thought that was going to the Comedy Corner! Didn't fully realise...Sorry, guys...

Comment

Gluck's Orfeo ed Euridice with the remarkably courageous and beautiful Kathleen Ferrier.
                'Man know thyself'

Comment

Listening to Beethoven's Piano Concerto No. 2 (B flat) on MIDI while I surf. It actually highlights a number of things which one could miss in a normal recording.
                  (I hope Rod isn't still watching!)

Comment

Listening to the master's Piano Sonata No. 27 in E minor, Op. 90 as I eat lunch at work.

Comment

Listening to the LVB 6th Symphony - Kleiber's superb live recording and not a faun in sight......
                      Beethoven the Man!

Comment

Listening to the complete Egmont music - am I alone in finding the dialogue a nuisance? Personally I'd enjoy the flow of the music (which is fine) without it.
                        'Man know thyself'

Comment

I have Karajan's older version where the dialogue is confined to the "melodrama" near the end. I find the dialogue a pain also, but I think people feel the need to impose some shape on the music, which can sound disconnected.

Comment

Bach Solo Cello Suites - THE classic recordings by Pablo Casals. WOW!
                            Zevy

Comment

Standing apart from the pack as always, it is not a question of what I´m listening to at the moment (I should hope not : Beethoven would not tolerate people listening to his music as background to reading, talking or eating sandwiches), rather in anticipation of what I shall be listening to shortly if the French postal system works correctly :
                              Bruckner 4th Symphony (original 1874 version), Schuman string quartets, and the 2008 recording of the DBs (Diabelli Variations) by Stephen Bishop (I forget his full current name).

Comment

Originally posted by Zevy View Post
                                Bach Solo Cello Suites - THE classic recordings by Pablo Casals. WOW!
                                Have to agree, despite the appalling intonation.

Comment

Working...
                                X