This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Peter View Post
    The C minor sonata from around 1770 is outstanding, look out for that one, a real masterpiece.
    Hmmm....Seems to me that just about anything written in C minor by anyone is considered to be 'special'?

C'mon, who's worst work is in C minor?

Comment

Originally posted by Zevy View Post
      Yesterday and Today:

1. Schubert String Trios perf: Grumiaux Trio
      2. Schubert Piano Trios perf: Beaux Arts Trio
      3. Bach Solo Cello Suites perf: Lynn Harrell
      Good man! Especially the Schubert...

Comment

Originally posted by Hofrat View Post

Bruell lived 57 years in Vienna under Brahms' shadow...
        Was he hiding under Brahms' beard?

(Sorry, Hofrat, I couldn't resist...)...

Comment

Originally posted by Hofrat View Post
          Mozart was commissioned to write 3 concerti for the flute and orchestra but he was so busy courting the von Weber sisters that he fell behind the time schedule for the commission. He managed to finish one original flute concerto but to save time he arranged an earlier composed oboe concerto as the second flute concerto. He never got around to the third concerto.
          I thought he was commissioned to write four flute concertos but only completed two. However, I do believe that he was still only paid for the new work/s. And darn it, those von Weber sisters. Worse than Hannah and her Sisters...

Comment

Originally posted by PDG View Post
            BTW, I've never heard the original commissioned Diabelli set by all the invited contemporary composers. Does anyone know of an available cd?

There was one a few years back but I forget the details. The other composers included Schubert, Hummel, Liszt and Archduke Rudolph, no less.
            I bet you that Schubert's variation was one you could hum.

Comment

I thought he was commissioned to write four flute concertos but only completed two. However, I do believe that he was still only paid for the new work/s.
              PDG - I am afraid you confused the Flute Concerti with the Flute Quartets.
              Mozart was commissioned to write a few Concerti and a few Quartets. He completed only one original Concerto for the Flute, K. 313 in G. Only two of the four extant Flute Quartets are definitely his works; the others have their authenticity issues...
              Zevy

Comment

Was he hiding under Brahms' beard?

(Sorry, Hofrat, I couldn't resist...)...

Sorry, PDG, when it came to beards, Bruell beat Brahms hands down!!
                "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

By the way, I believe this was what I saw on TV regarding the Mozart concerto:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYbgK8l6x90

It's Jean-Pierre Rampal.

Comment

Hmmm....Seems to me that just about anything written in C minor by anyone is considered to be 'special'?

C'mon, who's worst work is in C minor?
                    Do you know this sonata? I'm sure we can find plenty of duff works in C minor. To be honest I'm not fond of Beethoven's early C minor sonata Op.10/1and even the Pathetique is not as fine as the D major sonata Op.10/3 in my view.

Are you linked to Philip as you only appear when he posts? - it seems to cause a storm of excitement!!
                    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Are you linked to Philip as you only appear when he posts? - it seems to cause a storm of excitement!!
                      He is my alter ego, my doppelgänger, my insane elder brother locked in my attic (though he has an internet connection there). Over to you, PDG !

Comment

Huh? But don't you know I'm omnipresent? Actually, it would seem to be you, Peter, who takes up the cudgels only when Philip posts. In fact, come to think of it, Philip posts only when Philip posts......definitely some sort of conspiracy going on here...

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
                          He is my alter ego, my doppelgänger, my insane elder brother locked in my attic (though he has an internet connection there). Over to you, PDG !
                          Bad news, Phil. I escaped from your attic many moons ago. My captivity became really intolerable every time I could hear wonky 'cello music wafting up through the rafters...

Comment

Huh? But don't you know I'm omnipresent? Actually, it would seem to be you, Peter, who takes up the cudgels only when Philip posts. In fact, come to think of it, Philip posts only when Philip posts......definitely some sort of conspiracy going on here...
                            Not so PDG as a quick search back in time before we were blessed with Philip's presence will reveal. Now I'll take up the cudgel again with you and see if we get a response to the question concerning Haydn's C minor sonata which you seemed to imply was singled out by me merely because of its tonality.
                            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Not so PDG as a quick search back in time before we were blessed with Philip's presence will reveal.
                              You and your time-travelling! From now on, I think we should refer to you as the Doctor...

Comment

Now I'll take up the cudgel again with you and see if we get a response to the question concerning Haydn's C minor sonata which you seemed to imply was singled out by me merely because of its tonality.
                                No, I didn't meant to imply that, and I don't know the sonata. I just meant that as soon as a 'C minor work' is mentioned, there seems to be a hushed reverence at the very fact (not on this forum, I hasten to add, but generally across the universe...).

I agree broadly with your comments re Beethoven's Opp.10/1 and 13. To my ears, Op.10/1 sounds too 'high' and I wonder if there's any reason - technically - why this couldn't have been written in A minor?

Comment

Working...
                                X