This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are you listening to now?

Listening to Liszt's Totentanz - I think this is a remarkable work and by far the best thing he did for piano and orchestra. Terrific performance by kristian Zimmerman
    'Man know thyself'

More Liszt...
    Am listening to Cyprien Katsaris playing the piano version of the 7th Symphony, Op.92 in A.
    A labour of love for Liszt to reduce, and a labour of love for me to hear.

Comment

Have to agree with you PDG, I love it too especially the 2nd movement, beautiful! Liszt certainly did put his heart and soul into his transcriptions.
      'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Hi Joy. Have you heard this version in live concert performance?

Comment

WoW! I would seem to be the only one of 7,803 members online!!

Anyway, am now listening to the Liszt reduction of Symphony 8 in F, Op.93. This is because it's on the same cd as Op.92, and I really don't have the energy to get up and change discs....

However, I am reminded upon listening, that Beethoven could, when the mood took him, compose some of the most concise melodies within the Classical framework...
          Last edited by PDG; 02-09-2009, 10:57 PM. Reason: Pondering whether to PM the other 7,802 members...

Comment

Hi PDG, no, not live, but that's the same CD that I have and my mom used to love to listen to it. Her favourite was the 7th and she particularly loved the 2nd movement.
            Last edited by Joy; 02-10-2009, 12:57 AM. Reason: sp
            'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Listening to H.M.S. Pinafore this evening. It's no Fidelio, but it's always been one of my favorites for works of its kind

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                Listening to H.M.S. Pinafore this evening. It's no Fidelio, but it's always been one of my favorites for works of its kind
                Great stuff! In spite of the fact that they were regarded as "comic operas" - especially by Sullivan himself - they contain some beautiful tunes, and could give some of the Italian operatic composers a good run for their money.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                  Great stuff! In spite of the fact that they were regarded as "comic operas" - especially by Sullivan himself - they contain some beautiful tunes, and could give some of the Italian operatic composers a good run for their money.
                  Indeed!

Today I am making my way through all of Chopin's music that is NOT for solo piano...which isn't much. This morning it has been the chamber music - the Piano Trio, the Cello Sonata, and the Polonaise brilliante. This afternoon it will be his Polish songs, which I have never heard before. And then this evening it will be the works for piano and orchestra, including the piano concertos.

Comment

Just listened to "The Beatles Live at the BBC" which, of course, led me on to the "Spring Sonata" played by Ashkenazy and Perlman who give the best account ever of this work. (Except in the scherzo where they are horribly out of synch with each other!)

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                      (Except in the scherzo where they are horribly out of synch with each other!)
                      LOL?

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post

LOL?
                        Of course! I'm trying to cut down on smiley icons.
                        (Mind you, one so-called music critic really did think that Beethoven's syncopations were mistakes by the players!)

Incidentally, when I first ventured onto the Internet, I thought "LOL" mean "Lots of Love". It lead to a few misunderstandings.
                        Last edited by Michael; 02-11-2009, 06:28 PM.

Comment

I heard the Liszt 2-piano transcription of Beethoven's 9th symphony in a live performance in Montreal. I remember being very irritated by the misrepresentation of the work prior to the concert.
                          "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

Josquin Desprez motets and songs - all wonderful music and I love that clever song El grillo.
                            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Brendel playing Opus 31, numbers one and two. I will allow myself an icon or two:

Comment

Working...
                              X