Classical chart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Classical chart

A new chart has been set up which excludes 'crossover' performances - many first rate artists were being excluded before.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7870336.stm
    'Man know thyself'

At last - a genuine chart. Up to now, even with the Gramophone itself, the top items would be something like "Jenkins sings Rodgers and Hammerstein" and you had to go down as far as Number 10 or 11 to find a piece of music that could qualify as "classical". And please let nobody start a futile argument about what constitutes a classical work. I think you know what I mean.
    Incidentally, I hate it when operatic singers try to sing musicals: it's okay with semi-operetta like "The Student Prince" but it just doesn't work with the likes of "Oklahoma" or "Carousel".
    Last edited by Michael; 02-07-2009, 08:10 PM.

Comment

Yes Michael I agree - talented artists who don't mix genres for the sake of instant popularity or because their image doesn't fit are unfairly discriminated against in these so-called 'classical' charts, so this is a welcome development.
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        At last - a genuine chart. Up to now, even with the Gramophone itself, the top items would be something like "Jenkins sings Rodgers and Hammerstein" and you had to go down as far as Number 10 or 11 to find a piece of music that could qualify as "classical". And please let nobody start a futile argument about what constitutes a classical work. I think you know what I mean.
        Incidentally, I hate it when operatic singers try to sing musicals: it's okay with semi-operetta like "The Student Prince" but it just doesn't work with the likes of "Oklahoma" or "Carousel".
        But Mike, who then should sing Operetta? Robbie Williams (spit!).

Oscar Hammerstein wrote the lyrics to both the great musicals you mention, and also light operettas like The New Moon and The Desert Song (both miles better than Gilbert O' Sullivan, or Gilbert and Sullivan), so there's some kind of crossover going on there? But of course, you are spot on about a 'pure' Classical chart.

PS. You left out the '!' at the end of Oklahoma! (very upsetting for we R & H buffs), but you did correctly spell 'Rodgers' with the 'd' in it, so you are forgiven...

Comment

Originally posted by PDG View Post

PS. You left out the '!' at the end of Oklahoma! (very upsetting for we R & H buffs), but you did correctly spell 'Rodgers' with the 'd' in it, so you are forgiven...
          You have hoisted me with my own petard, as usual! I should have know that Oscar H went that far back. I really don't know where the cut-off point should be, but at some stage, modern operatic singers do not sound right in the "musical" genre.
          I am going through a bit of a Rodgers and Hammerstein phase at the moment so you are quite right for chastising me about the ! in Oklahoma. The man wrote the most beautiful tunes and yet if you said "My favourite composer is Rodgers" you would invariably meet with blank looks.
          I have just purchased the five big Rodgers & Hammerstein movies on DVD and my wife and I are currently enjoying them.
          The original point I was making is that nobody can sing those songs like Gordon McCrae (I can't be bothered to check the spelling) and Shirley Jones (to name but a few) and operatic singers make them sound .....constipated.
          Last edited by Michael; 02-07-2009, 10:13 PM. Reason: in vino veritas

Comment

[QUOTE=Michael;41554]The man wrote the most beautiful tunes and yet if you said "My favourite composer is Rodgers" you would invariably meet with blank looks.
            QUOTE]

Not from me, Mike! For my money Richard Rodgers is the greatest popular song composer of the 20th century. Full stop.

Comment

Originally posted by PDG View Post
              ,(both miles better than Gilbert O' Sullivan, or Gilbert and Sullivan), so there's some kind of crossover going on there? But of course, you are spot on about a 'pure' Classical chart.

I am getting like Philip now - taking over the thread. But I must reply to your Gilbert o'Sullivan gibe! I absolutely adore the two Gilberts. I am a late convert to the great twosome of the late nineties - but I always liked Raymond o'Sullivan - and not just because he was Irish.
              Two years ago, my daughter and I attended a concert in Killarney, where Gilbert O'Sullivan gave a magnificent performance. My daughter has absorbed an enormous amount of sixties pop (and an enormous amount of Beethoven) without being force-fed, and we had a great night.
              (I dont' know what this has to do with the classical charts, but I'm sure Peter will forgive us).

Comment

[QUOTE=PDG;41555]
                The man wrote the most beautiful tunes and yet if you said "My favourite composer is Rodgers" you would invariably meet with blank looks.
                QUOTE]

Not from me, Mike! For my money Richard Rodgers is the greatest popular song composer of the 20th century. Full stop.

No problem with that!
                I am delighted to know I am making sense - drunk as I am!

Comment

I am getting like Philip now - taking over the thread. But I must reply to your Gilbert o'Sullivan gibe! I absolutely adore the two Gilberts. I am a late convert to the great twosome of the late nineties - but I always liked Raymond o'Sullivan - and not just because he was Irish.
                  Honestly, it was not a jibe! I love Ray O'Sullivan's music. I have all his albums. You're lucky to have seen him live. Pop Culture pundit, Paul Gambaccini, described his absence from the wider public arena as the 'most prominent example of an artist missing in action'.

My girlfriend's name is Clare. I'm always telling her off for spelling her name wrong...

Comment

Working...
                  X