Beethoven: Guitar Concerto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beethoven: Guitar Concerto

Apparently in January of 2007 a Beethoven Guitar Concerto was found. It was after he met with Fernando Sor, which I never knew took place. Fernando Sor was often called the Beethoven of the guitar. Beethoven apparently considered the work to be trivial and never forwarded it to Sor, what a shame. Musicologist have determined that it is authentic.

Fascinating, really want to hear it. I always felt that Beethoven should have done something with the guitar and he did, a concerto! What better then that.

http://www.musicweb-international.co...r_Concerto.htm

Does anyone have any information on this. Like his meeting with Sor, etc.?
    - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Ferdinando Sor (1778-1839) is not mentioned in Thayer!!
    "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

Never heard of it either, Preston. The nearest thing to a guitar work that Beethoven wrote were the four pieces for mandolin and piano. Diabelli did arrange what he called a potpourri of Beethoven pieces for guitar and flute - quite a weird mixture of the Fourth Symphony, the Spring Sonata and the C minor piano trio among others.

Comment

There is no mention of Sor in meeting with Beethoven that I'm aware of. This website gives more info on him but makes no mention of a Vienna visit, which still may have happened none the less as he did visit Moscow. Thanks for the reference Preston and it would be interesting to find out more about this work.
        http://www.musicweb-international.com/sor/
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Hopefully it will come around in the years to come. I would love to get it on cd. I am surprised that there is not more information about it. They mention it on Wikipedia to. It is a shame that Beethoven found it not worthy.
          - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Perhaps there is some information in the book 'Fernando Sor, Composer and Guitarist' by Brian Jeffery Second edition (1994)???

Comment

Working...
            X