Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gramophone

Do any of you read this magazine?

Vey highly recommended, however when they published the "twenty greatest orchestras in the world” last month, I noticed immediately a glaring error of judgment and emailed the editor as follows…..

"I have just received your invariably excellent magazine - the postal highlight of the month

However on this particular occasion I am left bemused and bewildered - the top twenty orchestras of the globe and not including the London Philharmonic? - not even a mention? I would suggest that your reviewer repairs immediately to the South Bank in London and catches some of the marvellous treats that Maestro Vladimir Jurowski and his 'A' band of supremely talented players are wowing packed houses with (for example the very highly regarded recently completed Tchaikovsky season)

To put the undeniably talented and properly placed London Symphony and the LPO side by side at number 4 would be worth contemplating, but to exclude the latter with not even a mention in small print strikes me as an omission bordering on the criminal

Yours in good faith

Tony Hearne”

I had hoped that this would be posted in this months mag but no such luck

OK I am biased as I live ‘South of the Water’ as we say and work right by the RFH and have friends who are in the orchestra, but really… I am sure that Sir Thomas Beecham would have had some witty riposte to these cheeky young reviewers!!
    Last edited by Tony John Hearne; 12-13-2008, 09:21 PM. Reason: spelling errors
    Love from London

I have read gramophone before but I never have the time to be consistent so I'm afraid subscribing would be wasted on me. I'm rather sceptical of all 'the best' and 'favourite' polls and I never pay any attention to them! You're quite right to mention the LPO and I daresay we could find many other omissions from their list - possibly even some of the world's finest youth orchestras such as the East West Divan?
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Going slightly off topic, I have just sent off an irate email to "BBC Music Magazine". They ran a nice little article about how some great composers of the past spent various Christmases. There was no mention of Beethoven, of course, and the fact that probably the greatest concert of all time took place exactly 200 years ago on 22nd December. I looked in vain throughout the Christmas issue of this magazine for even a passing reference to the premiere of the 5th and 6th symphonies.

Comment

Working...
      X