This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Magnificent String Trios

I have been listenening - and I can't stop - to the String Trios Op. 3,8, & 9. As is the usual case with me, I listen to a piece of music until I get tired of it, but it's not working here. They are absolutely wonderful. Bravo, LVB!
    Zevy

Comment

Originally posted by Zevy View Post
      I have been listenening - and I can't stop - to the String Trios Op. 3,8, & 9. As is the usual case with me, I listen to a piece of music until I get tired of it, but it's not working here. They are absolutely wonderful. Bravo, LVB!
      Totally agree! They were the last major works of Beethoven I came across and they are astounding.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        Listening to Brahms' First Symphony - a mighty work [...]. Probably the greatest symphony after Beethoven, but one should avoid hearing it for the first time.
        I was knocked sideways the first time I heard Brahms' 1st (or "Beethoven's 10th", as a critic wrote at the time). Do not forget Schubert's 9th (the "Great"), which considerably predates the Brahms.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
          Those motorcycle helmets are supposed to protect their heads, although for the life of me I can't figure out why, as there is nothing there really to protect. At least their behavior on field indicates that is the case.
          HA! HA!
          'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Those motorcycle helmets are supposed to protect their heads, although for the life of me I can't figure out why, as there is nothing there really to protect[.]
            With Sorrano's comment in mind, I have decided to show you my more generous side. I have ordered (at my expense) a set of helmets for some members.

Add icon thing...

Comment

Those motorcycle helmets are supposed to protect their heads, although for the life of me I can't figure out why, as there is nothing there really to protect. At least their behavior on field indicates that is the case.
              Thanks, Sorrano, but what about those Krystle Carrington shoulder pads?...

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                ...I think the Brahms symphonies are up there with Haydn, Mozart and B.
                Are you aware of what you just said there, Michael?! Although it is interesting that I have been playing the Brahms set of 4 and Tchaikovsky's oeuvre of six symphonies recently, while you would seem to have been looking backwards from Beethoven with your recent appraisals of Haydn.

I still wouldn't put any of these Greats' efforts alongside those of LvB...

Comment

Originally posted by Zevy View Post
                  I recall a reviewer in the Gramophone Guide 1994 remarking that if the String Trios, Opp. 3, 8 & 9 had been the only-ever compositions by Beethoven, then he would still today be regarded as one of the Giants of Classical Music. Quite a statement...

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
                    I was knocked sideways the first time I heard Brahms' 1st (or "Beethoven's 10th", as a critic wrote at the time). Do not forget Schubert's 9th (the "Great"), which considerably predates the Brahms.
                    Indeed! By a mere half a century...

And is not Dvorak's New World 9th a contender (for whatever prize it is we're discussing...)?

Comment

Listening to the Chopin piano sonatas. I haven't heard them for a while, so I thought I'd give them another listen. Not really Chopin's best work. Aside from Sonata No. 2, which has some nice things, I don't think that much of these works, I'm afraid.

Comment

Was it Franz Liszt who said the movements of Sonata #2 were 'the gathering of Chopin's four craziest children'?

BTW, I think Sonata #3 is my personal favourite.

Comment

Originally posted by PDG View Post
                          I recall a reviewer in the Gramophone Guide 1994 remarking that if the String Trios, Opp. 3, 8 & 9 had been the only-ever compositions by Beethoven, then he would still today be regarded as one of the Giants of Classical Music. Quite a statement...
                          I really am chuffed to hear that! These works must be among the least familiar of B's output and yet they are absolutely gorgeous. If I remember correctly, PDG, you should have some good recordings of them in the Amado set. Opus 3 was the first work of Beethoven's to arrive in England where it was very much admired by a very elderly musician whose name escapes me. It is certain that he didn't live to hear Opus 131.
                          One of the slow movements from Opus 8 was played at Ground Zero last year by Itzhak Perlman among others.

Comment

I still wouldn't put any of these Greats' efforts alongside those of LvB...
                            Your problem is that you are obsessed with Beethoven and nobody - but nobody - can possibly compare with him. It is a very limiting and lopsided perception on your part, and the fact that I agree with you is entirely beside the point.

Comment

Thanks, Sorrano, but what about those Krystle Carrington shoulder pads?...
                              A first cousin of one of the "Dynasty" stars (I forget which) lives about a hundred yards from me. She doesn't boast about it.

Comment

Is it Joan Collins? Could you get me her autograph?

Comment

Working...
                                X