Performance of recently found Beethoven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Performance of recently found Beethoven

A recently discovered manuscript of the Andante movement from Beethoven's Oboe Concerto will be performed at Strathmore Hall, Bethesda, MD on December 2. Tickets are on sale now, but they are expensive by my standards. If you'd like to hear the andante, it is at:

http://tk1.publicaster.com/DC/ctr.as...970=6874&66=30

(if I did the computer part of this right).

I have it recorded on CD along with the violin concerto movement in Cmajor. Most interesting music.
    "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

This is not a recently discovered piece but a "realisation" of the surviving sketches. It can be heard in a MIDI performance on the "Unknown Beethoven" website. I don't usually like these reconstructions but, on listening to the original sketches, I found that there was quite a lot of material there from the andante section and all this has been used on the above piece with very credible results. It's a very nice theme (very similar to the opening of the Opus 110 piano sonata) and very pleasant to listen to. I could have done without the lengthy (and unlikely) cadenza but a as a stand-alone piece, it probably needed a bit of beefing-up for performance purposes.
      Thanks, Susan.
      Last edited by Michael; 11-14-2008, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the heads-up. I might go to this.

Comment

Originally posted by Hofrat View Post
          I have it recorded on CD along with the violin concerto movement in Cmajor. Most interesting music.
          Do you mean your personal CD recording, or is it commercially available?

Comment

It is a copy of a master commercial recording that was to hit the market in 2003. The problem was that the conductor of the recording orchestra resigned suddenly. Now there is a legal battle over who gets which rights of the recording. So, only a select few who received copies of the master have been able to enjoy this rare CD.

Comment

So how did you come across this recording, Susan? I am delighted to have it and have recorded it (with my obsolete minidisc recorder). Oops! I hope I haven't broken any copyright laws!
              But, since nobody but me will be hearing it, I think I am quite safe.

Comment

It is a link from the Strathmore webpage, entirely legitimate. I was a recent subscriber, and I'm still on their mailing list.

Comment

Most interesting... I did not know Beethoven wrote a lost Oboe Concerto. Does anyone have the date in which he wrote this? Or any further information on it? Thanks.

Susan (I guess it is alright to call you that), thank you for the file, very much.
                  - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

My trusty "New Hess Catalog" dates the oboe concerto movement as 1792-1793.

Comment

[QUOTE=Preston;40954]Most interesting... I did not know Beethoven wrote a lost Oboe Concerto. Does anyone have the date in which he wrote this? Or any further information on it? Thanks.

QUOTE]

If you go to the "Unheard Beethoven" site you can hear a couple of themes from all the movements. Look for the Hess numbers, and it's somewhere around No. 13 or 14, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Hofrat View Post
                        My trusty "New Hess Catalog" dates the oboe concerto movement as 1792-1793.
                        I'm surprised the new Hess takes it as late as 1793 - Haydn refers to the work in his letter of that year to the Elector in Bonn who in his reply stated that it had been written and performed in Bonn.
                        'Man know thyself'

Comment

The Oboe Concerto movement, Hess 12, was completed in Vienna around 1792-1793, but Beethoven worked on it in Bonn, which is how the Elector knew about it.

Comment

Thanks for the information.
                            - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Working...
                            X